Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Joint Replacements and Hunting

Bill Christy

Joint replacements can be a godsend for us seniors. However, when it comes to hunting, joint replacements change the game immensely. Gone are the days of hard core mountain hiking in rough terrain, backpacking out your weight in harvested meat, freezing weather hunting/camping, and surviving hard falls. At 68 years old with two joint replacements, I'm constantly faced with new challenges while hunting. I'm a fair weather hunter/camper nowadays. I rifle hunt medium level terrain. I use a game cart for hauling my game meat back to camp. My hiking distance is shortened to about 2-4 miles, and I walk an old-man's pace. I'm not as successful a hunter as I use to be. Nevertheless, you'll find me afield each season just for the love of it all, wether I'm successful or not. I would like to know what changes other aging hunters, with joint replacements, have had to make to stay afield?

I'd argue it's the age not the replacement. I had a TKR october of 2018, about to turn 60 this spring. I've checked with my knee doc on packing limits, hunting and hiking limits. His words were that knee will outlast the rest of you, go for it

My dad is 65, double knee replacement at 63. Last year he killed an elk (archery) at 11k, 6 miles from the truck. We got it out and camp in a little over a day. Most people's limitations are all in their head. Also packed out a bear, caribou and several mule deer since the new knees, all mountain backpack hunts. There is hope for those looking for a mechanical upgrade!

I'm about 11 weeks post TKR and I've been on a few hikes and have returned to doing BJJ and muay thai. I feel like I can do anything, doc says I can hike as much as I'd like. It's an amazing feeling to get your life back. I'm only 50, hopefully I'll have another 10-15 before I really start slowing down

Joint replacements can be a godsend for us seniors. However, when it comes to hunting, joint replacements change the game immensely. Gone are the days of hard core mountain hiking in rough terrain, backpacking out your weight in harvested meat, freezing weather hunting/camping, and surviving hard falls. At 68 years old with two joint replacements, I'm constantly faced with new challenges while hunting. I'm a fair weather hunter/camper nowadays. I rifle hunt medium level terrain. I use a game cart for hauling my game meat back to camp. My hiking distance is shortened to about 2-4 miles, and I walk an old-man's pace. I'm not as successful a hunter as I use to be. Nevertheless, you'll find me afield each season just for the love of it all, wether I'm successful or not. I would like to know what changes other aging hunters, with joint replacements, have had to make to stay afield?

I spray a little Pinesol on achy joints to keep them moving, doubles as a bear deterrent I hear...

I wanted a build a cabin out in the middle so that when I got oller, like now. I will still be able to get out n go hunting. I have had a shoulder replaced, neck fused and now need a new knee. Played hard n worked hard.
Now i can sit on the front porch and hunt moose and bear

Will be almost 2 years since my knee replacement. I envy everyone of you that it worked for. I still am struggling with mine, and yes I did the PT, believe me I did the PT. DR said your knee is fine, you can walk and get up out of a chair what more do you need. Not happy. Muscles in my knee are extremely tight every day, some way more than others. And the cold weather really hits it. Enjoy your youth while you can and stay as healthy as possible. Do I still hunt...yes...no grass growing over me yet. Just takes longer and is harder.

Boy I feel your pain! Had my left knee replaced about 5 yrs ago and it never got back to 100%. Right knee is needing it next and I simply can't walk like I used to then I'm older than I used to be too, 78 yrs in March! Think I have it figured out now though, got a 4 wheeler! I can ride in and pack out on it. Gave up elk several years ago for fear of not being able to get one out! Without the 4 wheeler I doubt I could get a small deer out these days. Be nice to get back to it. Shoot I tried chucker a couple years ago and total failure, just could not get around and didn't even get into anything tuff!

I'd argue it's the age not the replacement. I had a TKR october of 2018, about to turn 60 this spring. I've checked with my knee doc on packing limits, hunting and hiking limits. His words were that knee will outlast the rest of you, go for it
Amazing! I was told the knee would be 100% in a year, has never got back to that. Also was told it'll probably need redone in ten years, getting there and the knee is going down hill!

my knees came out perfect maybe cuz i did my rehab right...the surgery aint jack its the rehab that hurts...hydrocodone was a bitch...fog your brain up and if you backed off on it, it would take 16 hours to catch up...my total ankle was easy, mainly cuz 3 days later my appendix ruptured and was doped up for 9 days in the hospital...technology is amazing, glad i am living in this time...4 wheelers are great, they take me where i need to sit and glass

my knees came out perfect maybe cuz i did my rehab right...the surgery aint jack its the rehab that hurts...hydrocodone was a bitch...fog your brain up and if you backed off on it, it would take 16 hours to catch up...my total ankle was easy, mainly cuz 3 days later my appendix ruptured and was doped up for 9 days in the hospital...technology is amazing, glad i am living in this time...4 wheelers are great, they take me where i need to sit and glass
I totally agree! and I'm glad you shared! I've had a total knee and shoulder replacement. The recovery time is long and sometimes painful. But once you have come through it all, it does give you back your life. I'm looking at 4-wheelers for hunting.

My uncle has plastic plate in his skull but that didn’t stop him from climbing Mount Everest and using a Saucer to get back down. I sure miss him.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back