Elk Unit 51 New Mexico

Hey man I’ll be around did you draw the same tag I can always help you

I always get out and walk it just works better for me
Might just take you up on that! My wife can't hike right now, and at 64 solo just doesn't seem as smart as it used to. Figuring that scouting right now, other than just being familiar with the ground, is fruitless - there is so doggoned much water and browse, and in November I am betting on snow, it's going to be very different come Nov.

Lostinthewoods thanks for your response. Those are some nice bulls and I would take anything similar :) I am not going to be very picky as it cost a lot to come from out of state and I sure want to leave with some meat. That is good to know that they are still vocal this time of year. Just curious, were you also in the North part of the unit? I am looking forward to doing some scouting next weekend as well. Thanks again for replying and for the pics. Good luck on your hunt! I'd love to hear how it goes, post hunt. I am trying bow hunting for the first time next year.
Curious how you ended up doing on that hunt? I am traveling to NM to hunt the same first rifle season this year, and am doing lots of research.

Jemez, Las Vegas and Ruidoso fires so far this year. 51 had three large fires three years back and one last year, all at lower elevations to the South. Canon Plaza to the East in 2017. I’d plan to scope out A, B, C then reevaluate come October if there’s still dry fuel and lousy precipitation. Definitely plan on snow late November. Snow everywhere though elk will be where food is and food isn’t in a this-year burn.
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum and this will be my first time in NM for an Elk hunt. I have picked up some good info from this thread so far, but I am still searching for my starting points for my first season rifle tag in unit 51. I'll be driving from the PNW to CO springs to pick up my brother in law who is just getting back from deployment, and we will be heading south into the unit a week before season starts to do some scouting. Definitely looking to put some miles on the boots and get away from high pressure areas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Intro yourself to all and tell us about yourself and outdoors experience.
Hey hank4elk, nice to meet ya. I am 36, I have been hunting my entire life in OR & WA, but have only been hunting elk for about 8 years now with spotty success. I have just started to find success in the past several years, and it usually involves some back breaking work! I am not searching for a monster (but I would not be mad about it!) I am just hoping to get into some bulls and have some fun. I am pretty decent with the bugle tube/cow calls and am hoping I can work that into my game plan. My brother in law doesn't have a tag, but he is just along for the adventure, and to hopefully help me on a pack out. We're definitely not afraid of some some hard work and long days. He is a Green Beret, so he should be able to drag my body out of the mountains if I go a little to hard!!
I appreciate how kind and helpful people are on this forum. If anyone wants to reach out, PM might be best. I'll try to get the required 10 posts, so I can use that function. I'll be sure to share my experience for those going on hunts later in the season.
-Brian

Always helpful to have someone to drag the body.

We have had a lot of rain this year, there is green all over the place. Year before last I hunted the first cow hunt, and it had snowed 18" in mid-October, and things were still nice and damp when we hunted in early November. Same hunt last year, it was dry summer dry. So you have the blessing of having, so far, moderate temperatures, rain, and lots of browse. That said, the critters will be more scattered, and not as dependent upon a few water sources. Bulls should not just be up high in the dark woods, but will be a bit wider spread due to water being available. At least, that is my guess. Emphasis on guess. But the unit is full of elk, so it will be a matter of right place and right time, I think.

David
NM

Always helpful to have someone to drag the body.

We have had a lot of rain this year, there is green all over the place. Year before last I hunted the first cow hunt, and it had snowed 18" in mid-October, and things were still nice and damp when we hunted in early November. Same hunt last year, it was dry summer dry. So you have the blessing of having, so far, moderate temperatures, rain, and lots of browse. That said, the critters will be more scattered, and not as dependent upon a few water sources. Bulls should not just be up high in the dark woods, but will be a bit wider spread due to water being available. At least, that is my guess. Emphasis on guess. But the unit is full of elk, so it will be a matter of right place and right time, I think.

David
NM
Thanks David. Glad you guys finally got some rain, these long dry summers are tough.

Summer may drag out making rut activity more into October than this month. But I’d be judicious with bugles. Because every jerk out there, including myself, bugles when we probably shouldn’t. It’s better to find a glassing area or transition zone to bedding and just be there before the elk. I’ve never yet seen a toad in 51, though that’s where I learned how to talk to elk. Sometimes several bulls after shooting light and it’s awesome.

Summer may drag out making rut activity more into October than this month. But I’d be judicious with bugles. Because every jerk out there, including myself, bugles when we probably shouldn’t. It’s better to find a glassing area or transition zone to bedding and just be there before the elk. I’ve never yet seen a toad in 51, though that’s where I learned how to talk to elk. Sometimes several bulls after shooting light and it’s awesome.
That sounds really exciting, and thanks for the tip, that makes good sense to me, I can imagine they can get a little call shy with all those people running around. I will be plenty happy if they are still chasing the cows a little bit, and not just bedding down in the thick nasty stuff 95% of shooting light.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back