Elk Unit 51 New Mexico

Yeah iv been on my maps looking at those and others as well I was more interested in hunting pressure points stuff like that.
How far away from 51 do you live? Lots of us can tell you all about it and it’s best to actually see it beforehand. It’s huge.

I think it’s going to be about 5 or 6 hrs up there from where I live east of Santa Rosa I’m going try and make it up there and scout it out in the last part of July. And yes I can tell it’s a huge unit an I’ve lived in New Mexico my whole life and can’t say that I’ve ever been that area in my life. I’d just be curious where the hunting pressure gets really bad. Mainly

The hunting pressure is heavy just about anywhere in the unit. If you can scout it, you will find that a number of areas marked “non-motorized area” on maps are criss crossed with illegal 4-wheeler trails. Opening morning they will be covered with locals ripping around shooting at the first spike x 2 they see. Highly recommend wearing orange the first 2 days but don’t expect that to stop people from shooting in your direction.

Your best bet is to head up there at some point this summer, pick a couple spots on the map and find out what unmarked ORV trails run through there and come up with plan to hike a little ways away from them. Plenty of elk in the unit all over, I have had success in the higher country still hunting but expect to put some miles on. If they bugle you will have a fun hunt but I wouldn’t expect that after the shooting starts opening morning.

I think it’s going to be about 5 or 6 hrs up there from where I live east of Santa Rosa I’m going try and make it up there and scout it out in the last part of July. And yes I can tell it’s a huge unit an I’ve lived in New Mexico my whole life and can’t say that I’ve ever been that area in my life. I’d just be curious where the hunting pressure gets really bad. Mainly
The hunting pressure is heavy just about anywhere in the unit. If you can scout it, you will find that a number of areas marked “non-motorized area” on maps are criss crossed with illegal 4-wheeler trails. Opening morning they will be covered with locals ripping around shooting at the first spike x 2 they see. Highly recommend wearing orange the first 2 days but don’t expect that to stop people from shooting in your direction.

Your best bet is to head up there at some point this summer, pick a couple spots on the map and find out what unmarked ORV trails run through there and come up with plan to hike a little ways away from them. Plenty of elk in the unit all over, I have had success in the higher country still hunting but expect to put some miles on. If they bugle you will have a fun hunt but I wouldn’t expect that after the shooting starts opening morning.
I really did not count on much bugling if any as my hunt starts on the 22 of October. If it’s like all the rest of the units in this state you’re right about the locals. And it’s funny you said about the orange I had already mentioned that to my wife thinking that would be a good idea there’s going to be a lot of guns up there. Thank you very much for your input.

I’m not sure why I can’t pm but it may be because I don’t have the 10 posts

We have hunted (cows) in 51 the past two years, and this year I drew the late November hunt. A lot will have to do with water - when we hunted in '20, there had been a 2' snow in late October, so all was damp and quiet and the elk easy to find. Last year, it was DRY, and I didn't see fresh sign in the two days I hunted (I had to stop after two days because my back flared up on me, dangit).

Last year, there were ORVs everywhere. Curiously, mostly road hunting. I am convinced that if you are willing to get off the roads and put some miles on your boots, you should find critters. Again, lots of hunters, but most don't get in the woods and work for it.

No camping at El Rito any more, users of ORVs got it closed. But the river is still fishable, as is the Vallecitos.

My plan is to scout as much as I can in between scouting down south for deer, going to put lots of miles on my rigs. It's water, water is the key, in my small experience.

David
White Rock, NM

We have hunted (cows) in 51 the past two years, and this year I drew the late November hunt. A lot will have to do with water - when we hunted in '20, there had been a 2' snow in late October, so all was damp and quiet and the elk easy to find. Last year, it was DRY, and I didn't see fresh sign in the two days I hunted (I had to stop after two days because my back flared up on me, dangit).

Last year, there were ORVs everywhere. Curiously, mostly road hunting. I am convinced that if you are willing to get off the roads and put some miles on your boots, you should find critters. Again, lots of hunters, but most don't get in the woods and work for it.

No camping at El Rito any more, users of ORVs got it closed. But the river is still fishable, as is the Vallecitos.

My plan is to scout as much as I can in between scouting down south for deer, going to put lots of miles on my rigs. It's water, water is the key, in my small experience.

David
White Rock, NM

David
White Rock, NM
I totally agree with you on that I really appreciate your input.

I'll echo what others have said. Everyone I saw was driving the roads on ATV/SXS. I shot my bull less than half a mile from a road but you couldn't see the spot from the road. Saw 50+ elk in the same situation, not far from roads but couldn't be seen from the road. A little boot pounding goes a long way up there!

I'll echo what others have said. Everyone I saw was driving the roads on ATV/SXS. I shot my bull less than half a mile from a road but you couldn't see the spot from the road. Saw 50+ elk in the same situation, not far from roads but couldn't be seen from the road. A little boot pounding goes a long way up there!
Do you have a picture of your bull? I always like to see.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back