Eastern Colorado Cow Elk?

Yeah, that one...lol :cool: It's in unit 136 and about the only public land in the unit. Part of picketwire is in 135 near where I hunt antelope...really cool petroglyphs

Last edited:
Yeah, that one...lol :cool: It's in unit 136 and about the only public land in the unit. Part of picketwire is in 135 near where I hunt antelope...really cool petroglyphs

And dinosaur footprints. Longest set in the world, or so I'm told. But, as you said, hot and dry.

And the forest service locked the crapper shut in the sequester...lol

I came upon an old cabin out there once. It was all boarded up and posted as full of hantivirus (sp?). And to think, I used to crawl over that rat S into coyote caves and whatnot. I'm a little more careful these days.

I would not waste your time for a plains hunt personally. I grew up out there and there are certainly elk, but they are always near creek bottoms or areas with lots of rolling hills. There are certainly there and people have absolutely killed them out there. They will continue to be there, but I would suggest for your first elk hunt to take the extra 2 hours drive to get into the mountains where there a huntable populations. I lived on the plains for 10+ years and only saw 2 wild elk in those years and I am positive that I had access and work and traveled more of the plains then you could do in the short hunting season. Unless you have a contact with a herd that travels their ranch / farm, I would focus your efforts to the mountains. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks all. Sounds like the plains hunt is probably a waste of time without good connections or some insider knowledge. I'll keep dreaming for the time being.

Thanks all. Sounds like the plains hunt is probably a waste of time without good connections or some insider knowledge. I'll keep dreaming for the time being.

I came to the same conclusion. I tried to do a lot of the same research, talked to biologists, officers and the consensus was that the odds were very slim of finding elk on what little public there is. I've seen a lot of elk on the plains close to river bottoms but every inch of the ground around those areas were private

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back