Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO Unit 2 Archery or Unit 61 Muzzleloader Elk

Umpqua Hunter

I have been contemplating this decision for a very long time. I'm at 22 points and am trying to decide how to apply for CO elk this year as a non-resident. I would virtually be guaranteed a Unit 61 muzzleloader tag. I should have about 25% odds to draw Unit 2 archery elk. I have "settled" on Unit 61 several times but then second guess myself.

My goal is a solid 330+ bull whichever unit I hunt. I have three bulls better than that, but I don't expect Colorado to produce my best bull.

My wife will be my hunting partner. She loves to hunt and wants to experience the elk rut. I do like to keep my hunts in more moderate terrain when she joins me and I know Unit 61 is usually a physically tougher unit to hunt.

I will be doing the hunt DIY and investing about 18 days in the field.

I though I would throw it out there to see where you guys would recommend I apply? I would especially like hearing from members who have hunted either unit (or both)! Thanks a bunch for your advice.

When you say"settled" on 61 several times, what does that mean exactly? I have spoke with several people who have passed 20 - 30 330" - 350" bulls daily in 61. How many more years will it take to improve your odds in the other unit vs. 61 ? Your are correct about the difference in physicality though, 61 gets steep, great area though. Good luck whatever you decide.

I have spoke with several people who have passed 20 - 30 330" - 350" bulls daily in 61.

I would take that comment with about 50 pounds of salt.

If you are comfortable with your bow and don't mind burning those points on an archery tag, hunt unit 2.

I have never hunted bulls in Unit 2, but I have cow hunted in there a few times. My expertise in judging bulls isn't that good though. My scale goes something like this *it does have horn, *it's legal, *that's a nice one, Holy Sh!t, look at that one. I've seen a handful of the Holy Sh!t variety in unit 2.

I've kicked around a bit in unit 67, but never elk hunted it. Done some camping/fishing and scouted during combined season just to see what it's like. Personally, I would take a 25% chance on unit 2 over a guarantee in unit 67. But that is me, I love the type of country unit 2 is.

Last year I was muzzleloader deer hunting an adjacent unit to gmu2 and got into a really nice herd of elk opening morning. Bulls screaming all around me and had 3-4 bulls that were in the Holy Sh!t variety.

When you say"settled" on 61 several times, what does that mean exactly? I have spoke with several people who have passed 20 - 30 330" - 350" bulls daily in 61. How many more years will it take to improve your odds in the other unit vs. 61 ?

Hey Elkoholic, by "settled" I mean I have decided I am going for the Unit 61 tag. By that I don't mean I have decided to compromise. After 3 years of talking to guys who have hunted Unit 61 I would say that seeing 10-20 bulls a day is more like it and the vast majority being bulls under 310". There will be the occasional opportunity at a 330" bull, maybe every few days. There is the possibility of "seeing" a 350" bull, above that and it is a very long shot.

If you are comfortable with your bow and don't mind burning those points on an archery tag, hunt unit 2.

Oak…I think I would rather have a muzzleloader in my hand with a strong chance at a 330 bull if I put my time in, than to have a bow unless I have a darn good chance at a 350+ bull. That is why I am giving 61 strong consideration.

I have a 335, 353 and 367 bull and would be very happy with a 330 bull on my Colorado hunt if it was a super fun rut hunt experience. Next year for elk I will have max points in Utah, 16 points in Arizona and max in Wyoming, so I want to start clicking some of these off.

Last edited:
Unit 2 hands down.
I would like to see the photos of 20-30 passed bulls daily in unit 61. That is beyond absurd and easily verified as such from folks knowledgeable of the unit. Have several friends who archery hunted it and none encountered anything approaching that.

Archery elk hunted unit 2 a few years back. 20 incredible days hunting, plus scouting. I passed and took photos of lots of nice bulls above 300 (and some like those fantasy bulls reported as passed in unit 61)while looking for a tremedous bull I never did reallly find or at least get close enough to "pass" or shoot. For me 'passed' means i was in bow range and had my bow drawn or felt i could have gotten it drawn. Some guys, when pressed, actually have "passed" archery bulls at 1000 yards behind glass?

Some unit 2 photos and hunt description in below thread if interested. You are right about your unit 2 draw odds. Stay the course even if takes 2-3 more years. If you draw happy to share detailed insights if wanted. My wife participated in some of my hunt and called in a 300 or so bull to 10 yards for me and she still wonders why i did not shoot that one early in the hunt.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=243420&highlight=Unit

Last edited:
Unit 2 hands down.

Some unit 2 photos and hunt description in below thread if interested. You are right about your unit 2 draw odds. Stay the course even if takes 2-3 more years. If you draw happy to share detailed insights if wanted. My wife participated in some of my hunt and called in a 300 or so bull to 10 yards for me and she still wonders why i did not shoot that one early in the hunt.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=243420&highlight=Unit

Khunter…thanks for the link to your story, it was a great read and super pics too. Thanks!

It seems like the more answers you get from people the harder your decision gets. Some people love unit 61 some love unit 2, from what I've seen it seems like unit 2 has a little better quality than 61. But not much.

Don't think you can go wrong with either, good luck

Just some friendly advice-If your wife has not been on a trip where you harvested an elk, I would take a 300" bull with my wife before I ate tag soup, especially with the upcoming points you have built up. Hunting together is a special hunt. Good luck!

You have a chance of drawing the unit 2 rifle rut hunt for elk as a NR with 22 points. I would hold fast for that tag.....

That would absolutely love to hunt Unit 2 with a rifle. Unfortunately it was a 20% draw with 22 points last year, when I had 21 points. Unit 2 rifle has been running 7% to 20% draw at the point level just above me for the prior 5 years. There has been little movement forward in those years. This year it will likely be around a 20% draw with 23 points. There are still a lot of point sitters that keep jumping in. It will likely take 8 to 10 years to draw Unit 2 rifle. With these high point creep hunts you have to look how you relate to the rest of the pack, rather than taking the prior year's stats as being static.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back