Best way to sell a used rifle?

Ben Long

I have some older, but good quality rifles and handguns. I would like to sell them to a good home. (So I can upgrade.) I would like to make a fair price, but don't have to wring out every nickel. What's the best way to do so, without a lot of hassle? Gun show? Ad in the local paper? Pawn shop? Consignment at the gun shop? Also what's the best way to assess fair market value?

For me, I've had good luck with the 24hourcampfire forums simply because of their traffic volume. The catch is some buyers might be hesitant to purchase from a new poster.

However, with detailed descriptions and plenty of pictures you can open clear that hurdle.

You can lose some margin on shipping though as generally the cost of adequate packaging and shipping cost are born by the seller. My guess is that you will make a better margin over pawn/consignment.

Out of courtesy for your fellow Hunt Talker pals, post some pics and see if you get some bites. I'm always interested in rifles especially when priced conservatively.

Surprisingly I've joined some Facebook Gun Sale groups and they get a lot of activity especially from the Western MT guys.

Well, for instance, I have too many .22 rimfires. I would be willing to part with a Ruger Single Six, with a dandy western-style holster and cartridge belt; also I have a Winchester model 75 bolt action target rifle. Neither are new but are lightly used and in good to very good condition.

Armslist is a handy free website also. Like craigslist for guns and accessories. I have a buddy that buys and sells a lot if guns and uses it a lot!!

Ben, I would highly recommend you getting rid of that ol kimber you been dragging around way to long

Pawn shops will rape you, selling to a used gun dealer will cost you a 20-40% margin depending on negotiations. Selling them privately one at a time will get the most coin but is the most work. If you sell privately, i would use some sales agreement for records. Gunsinternational or gunbroker are easy online ways to reach a lot of people. Forums such as this, ones geared just towards guns, are sound ways. Search online for comparables to see prices. Asking is not receiving g so be realistic, kbb is ok for prices but can be way off; such as colts saa and snake series. Your guns are never in as good of condition as you think they are;under promise and over deliever to keep yourself out of hot water. Pictures are key to selling.

Pawn shops will rape you, selling to a used gun dealer will cost you a 20-40% margin depending on negotiations. Selling them privately one at a time will get the most coin but is the most work. If you sell privately, i would use some sales agreement for records. Gunsinternational or gunbroker are easy online ways to reach a lot of people. Forums such as this, ones geared just towards guns, are sound ways. Search online for comparables to see prices. Asking is not receiving g so be realistic, kbb is ok for prices but can be way off; such as colts saa and snake series. Your guns are never in as good of condition as you think they are;under promise and over deliever to keep yourself out of hot water. Pictures are key to selling.

Sound advice Redwood!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScatterGunHamilton
Back