MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Atvs worth it?

a couple more...the deer was about 2 miles down in a hole with a sweet 2 track that I felt was made just for me.....the elk was a nice deal that saved me about a mile of dead fall, rocks and about 200 yards of fallen timber over the road.

Attachments

• utah.JPG
    utah.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 242
  • colorado.JPG
    colorado.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 246
pics of a couple bulls I actually used my truck to retrieve.

Attachments

• utah 2.jpg
    utah 2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 244
  • utah5.jpeg
    utah5.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 247
I have owned and used many ATVs. As a riding instructor, I spent a lot of time and energy discussing Stay The Trail and other industry/gov't programs meant to encourage lawful use on authorized routes only. I have saved miles of packing game w ATVs. I heard every reason for bending those rules : Just one time won't matter, I'm all by myself and don't have time to pack out, I bought this thing and dragged it here so I should use it. I wouldn't think of hunting there, but I can w an ATV. If there is a path, I can go there as well. Lots of reasons, none of them sufficient.
Riders always knew better, they just disregarded the rules, which are obvious here in CO. I listened to riding students discuss all the rules they broke. I had many hunts spoiled by ATV (and truck/jeep) users far past the marked end of trails. I learned lots of unofficial trails and entire riding areas get closed because of this abuse.

Now I use my boots and pack to retrieve game, away from motorized trails. If I encounter a vehicle in on illegal ground I take photos w GPS, notify the user, and send documentation to every law enforcement agency w jurisdiction. So if spark plug cap is missing, hydraulic lines are broken, gas is contaminated; it wasn't me. Maybe it was old Hayduke.

Treedagain..you have a chainsaw winch with 1000's of ft of line or what? 95% of animals I have killed in the west were not able to be packed out whole.

jezz..funny story....2 years ago I had 2 handicapped hunters that I was involved in for a bull hunt here in Utah. the lady hunter (almost blind and could hardly walk killed a bull in a spot most men could/would not hunt. she had a permit to hunt a week before and after the hunt dates and from the truck, like out the window kind of truck. she opted to hunt her ass off and I was more afraid of getting her out of the hell hole. great hunt and she earned it. the bull on the trailer was the other semi handicapped hunter. 2 weeks from having his knee's replaced he hunted hard and wacked the bull on the trailer. a couple local guys took it on themselves to get the bull out whole with the help of their sidebyside. I do not approve of the action but I know after packing out 2 other bulls that day along with the lady hunter..I appreciated there 'COWBOY" ways. the hardest part of the deal was getting the bull on the trailer.

Treedagain..you have a chainsaw winch with 1000's of ft of line or what? 95% of animals I have killed in the west were not able to be packed out whole.

I'm sure those animals conveniently died on a designated road or atv trail, right?
The pic of the yamaha with the buck in the back shows it is not on a road or trail.
And I'm sure the "sweet 2 track" Treedagain felt was made just for him was not even there a couple of years ago. Till some jack-ass rode his atv there. :mad:

You would need a helicopter to get an ATV/UTV anywhere near where I tend to kill elk. They are one of the worst things to happen to hunting, at least here in Montana. I hope our state keeps laws that hold them to established roads. mtmuley

You would need a helicopter to get an ATV/UTV anywhere near where I tend to kill elk. They are one of the worst things to happen to hunting, at least here in Montana. I hope our state keeps laws that hold them to established roads. mtmuley

Laws already prohibit riding off of established roads, but we all see how well those rules are followed.
Some states now require atv's to be registered. So I'm hoping people will start taking pictures of the plates and the location where the atv was ridden illegally and giving the info to law enforcement. When they finally start getting fined maybe they will think twice before riding where they shouldn't go.

they are kinda cool pics thanks for noticing... its the end result of in most cases a lot of planning and hard work. about the same as a pic in the back of a truck. but I am sure you walk right out of your back door and start hunting in 2 feet of snow and an almost vertical walk straight up both ways. your the best hunter ever mtmuley the whole world looks up to you.

not that it really matters to you world class hunters.....as far the buck in the rhino yep all of about 5 yards, write a ticket warden bwana I will sign it. and yes the "sweet 2 track is a established road as you can see the buck was just placed on the bike at the end of the road at the turn around....we drug him up out of the cedars below.

I would love to see you try a desert sheep hunt out or Arizona coues out of your hunt or walking the empty 10 miles from where you can get your truck to where you can even start hunting.

Looks to me like the guy that's doing a lot of "planning and hard work" so he can use his quads needs to get out and walk more to lose a few unneeded pounds, LOL!

well maybe just this....I would wager that on 1 sheep hunt I walked more than you do all year maybe 2.

I'm not going to get in this pissing match...to each their own. I will say those are some mighty fine looking animals Treedagain. No matter the method of retrieval.

southern elk thanks for the comment,I have plenty more but I fear it will just bring out the worst in some people. I believe illegal use of atv's is a big problem that needs to addressed but contrary to the believe of a few internet experts I am not the problem. I just use them to save truck a hell of a beating and in the process I have been blessed to have saved my truck and filled my freezer with meat and the shed with a bunch of big racks

I enjoy hunting a general unit in MT where atvs are widely used on the trails and roads. My experience is that the majority of these hunters don't seem to get to far from there 4 wheelers mostly just waiting for a elk to run by which makes it great once one is 1 to 5 miles from the trail cause 99 percent of the time your by yourself. The main reason I like atvs is they don't buck, don't eat much and are a lot more comfortable on many trails than a pickup. And when it snow or rains they handle the trails so much better when they turn to baby poop. To each there own but they are a good option to have in the tool box.When you see illegal activity get there license number and description and contact authorities.

I think UTVs are awesome, but the fact that you can buy 2 decent ATVs for the price of a used side-by-side means I wont have one anytime soon.

As Federal Land agencies slip further and further behind on road maintenance, there are a hell of a lot of roads out there that you'd be a fool to drive your truck on. Sure, you can suffer and hike 4 miles up an an open road while some bastard cruises by on his Ranger with a beer in a coozie, or you can drive your own ATV/UTV to the trailhead and get hunting. When I get my ATV stuck, it's not a big deal. When I get my truck stuck, my hunting may be over for the day or for the next couple. Abusers deserve to be punished but outside of those jerks, ATVs are no different a tool than a good 4 x 4 pickup insofar as that to hunt the west with maximum effectiveness, it helps to have one.

It's gonna be real fun draggin your half-ton outta here once you snap an axle.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back