MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Antelope meat recipes?

Thanks for the ideas.
I have lots of spices,cookbooks and time.
Lasagne and middle eastern sound interesting. I have some recipes my dad got in WWII in North Africa & middle east to try. Some Russian recipes too. Killer rouladine in there.
Need to get some more Yerba Buena for Asada marinade.

I'm no cook. when I have to cook wild game I just marinade it in Italian dressing for awhile and put it on the grill. No complaints yet.

I am simple. Hot pan, olive oil, 1 - 1 1/2" cubes, salt and pepper and a couple minutes. Amazing meat.

Thanks for the ideas.
I have lots of spices,cookbooks and time.
Lasagne and middle eastern sound interesting. I have some recipes my dad got in WWII in North Africa & middle east to try. Some Russian recipes too. Killer rouladine in there.
Need to get some more Yerba Buena for Asada marinade.

Have fun and let us know what turns out to be a hit! I like eating antelope straight up as much as anyone, but I love experimenting with how the natural flavors of game enhance and elevate traditional dishes as well. Some of the ideas thrown out here have my mental gears going now, too.

The recipe for Morton's quick tender pepperoni (summer sausage) is very good with antelope with about 10% pork shoulder, you don't have to stuff it you can just make a loaf and bake it, the quick tender cures the meat and helps maintain the shape. I made some yesterday, instead of liquid smoke I gave it a shot of worcestershire and fresh jalapenos from my friends garden, stuffed and smoked.

I like my antelope meat spicy, it makes good merguez and chorizo. I'm not a huge fan of antelope steaks, but pounded flat and marinated with the recipe on the back of Montreal steak seasoning is pretty good, better if you roll it with bacon and a slice of jalapeno.

Its still in the brine but I took a sirloin roast from one of my antelope this year and am making it into a smoked ham, I have high hopes and saved two other sirloin roasts for this winter to do the same. It's my first attempt at a large whole muscle cut from antelope.

If you don't have it get a copy of Charcuterie by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman, I use it all the time.

Neighbors raved about the slow cooked meat they had last night with pork gravy with a roast I gave them.
Going to try some ham this winter too. I have Charcuterie book and have done bacon & ham before.
Might try some dry cured antelope & lion hams. Best prosciutto I ever had was dry cured mtn. lion ham.

In my house we love 'lope burger. Anything that isn't steaked is ground with 15% pork fat added. Salt and pepper and you've got the best hamburger steak on the planet.

I'm no cook. when I have to cook wild game I just marinade it in Italian dressing for awhile and put it on the grill. No complaints yet.

you are correct...you are no cook.:)
main thing is to eat what you kill and to enjoy it. you sound successful on both.

Last edited:
I smoked the sirloin roast tonight, it was in the brine for 6 days, dried in the fridge for a day, in apple wood smoke at 200 degrees for 2 hours, and in the oven covered at 225 degrees for about an hour, internal temp finished at 160 degrees.

My wife has a strong dislike for antelope meat unless it is in jerky or sausage form, she loves this ham.

What Randy11 said, the best t-loins I've ever eaten are Antelope on the grill, eaten rare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back