NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Antelope meat recipes?

hank4elk

Looking for any antelope meat recipes.
Got given one last week and just offered 2 more. Tried steaks & backstrap so far.
Chili? Jerky?
Wish I had a sausage stuffer as I love summer sausage.

I like to keep it just straight up steaks and burger because I like the flavor for a change in recipes. Antelope lasagna tonight....yum! I like to use it in recipes with smoky flavors, tomato based sauces or red wine.

Was just thinking of mole sauce on my venison sirloin tonight. Trying to use up last years meat 1st.

You can cook a roast in a crockpot, shred the meat, and add some taco seasoning. Easy recipe for tacos and doesn't have to be a prime cut of meat.

I treated it like Lamb since I think the flavors are similar, Backstrap Gyros were a HUGE hit last year (including with my inlaws that have rarely eaten wild game).

Red Wine/Olive Oil/Garlic/Oregano (fresh, not dried) marinade for 12 hours. Grill slowly. Serve with Pickled red onions, raw spinach and homemade Yogurt/Lemon/Dill/Oregano/Cucumber sauce on warmed Pitas. Wow.

For steaks I make a marinade of worseterchire sauce, soy sauce, a shot of whiskey, and some minced garlic and let soak for at least an hour and grill up. And pepper upon pulling from the grill. Goes great with steamed vegetables.

I'm the opposite, I want to do the least amount possible to pronghorn when I cook it. Save the crock pot and arm long recipes for black bear and elk.

I had pronghorn steaks tonight. Lightly salted and peppered with some oregano, then threw it on the grill at 600°. I took it off when it was still very rare.

Pronghorn is the best meat I've ever had the privilege of eating, I want to taste it.

I'm the opposite, I want to do the least amount possible to pronghorn when I cook it. Save the crock pot and arm long recipes for black bear and elk.

I had pronghorn steaks tonight. Lightly salted and peppered with some oregano, then threw it on the grill at 600°. I took it off when it was still very rare.

Pronghorn is the best meat I've ever had the privilege of eating, I want to taste it.

I agree, grilled rare is the bomb.

Antelope is my favorite game meat for sure. I think it has the flavor of elk with a finer texture. IMO it is very forgiving in how it is prepared.

This recipe is from the Oregon Hunters Association magazine courtesy of Tiffany Haugen. One of my favorite game recipes....

1 pound antelope steaks cubed
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1" fresh ginger
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh chopped basil

In a large skillet, heat peanut oil on heat medium heat. Add ginger and saute one minute. Add red curry paste and brown sugar, saute until bubbly. Add meat to curry mixture and brown. Reduce heat to low and add coconut milk. Simmer 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Remove from heat, add basil and serve over rice or noodles.

We have done it with deer, elk, bear and pronghorn. Pronghorn is the best as it is the tenderest but it's all good!

This!

Antelope is fantastic meat. I love it and it is usually very mild flavored and very tender. Medium rare is best.

Steaks: Roll in flour salt and pepper and fry in olive oil and butter. You can salt and pepper or garlic salt and pepper to taste. It's fun to try other steak seasonings on them as well. It works great to put flour in a plastic bag and put your seasonings in the flour bag also. Shake it up to mix it really well and then throw your steaks in close the top and shake it up to lightly coat the meat. That works very well or just putting flour on a plate works also to coat the meat.

My favorite: Chicken Fried
Take several eggs and some milk and stir them in a glass bowl. Put your thawed antelope steaks in the solution making sure they are covered with the egg/milk mixture. Cover with plastic and let sit in the fridge for a couple hours. It's not necessary to do that but I think it helps break down the meat.

Crush a whole tube of Ritz crackers while in the tube. A lot easier and less messy than doing it with them out of the package on a plate or something. It might take more than one tube depending on how many steaks you are cooking. Make sure the crackers are crushed up nicely.

Have a hot pan ready to go with olive oil or similar oil. I also like to put some butter in the pan. Roll a steak to make sure gets covered nicely in the egg mixture. Take it out and roll it in the cracker crumb and put in the pan. Do the same with your other steaks. Cook over medium or medium high heat until medium rare. Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy! This is my absolute favorite and the steaks will be wonderful.

You will know when the steaks are getting close to being done when the cracker crumb starts to get a golden brown. After a couple times you can easily judge if they need to be cooked slightly longer, or slightly less. You can try other cracker crumbs too for a change of pace as there are many different flavored crumbs you can just purchase in the stores. It's fun to try some different flavorings, but you cannot go wrong with RITZ!

Roast:
Take a nice roast and put it in a cast iron pot with a lid, or a metal roasting pot with a lid. Wipe some oil in the pan before putting the roast in. You can season the roast if you want to at this point, but not necessary. I love the taste of antelope too and find you don't need to hide it's flavor as it is fantastic! Put a little water in the pan, maybe a quarter in deep. Chunk up potatoes, carrots, onions, green & red peppers, and mushrooms and put into the pan with the roast.

ON a Weber or other briquette cooker, get the coals ready and hot. Then before putting the roast in put a lot of apple wood or other wood chips on the coals. Let the chips soak in water for about 30 minutes and then drain the water off before you put them on the coals. Different woods will give different flavors, but I have found that apple wood works very well for most meats of any kind. It's fun to experiment.

Once the wood chips are on the coals and start to smoke which should be almost right away, then put your roast in the kettle on the grate over the coals. Leave the lid on the kettle slightly ajar so that the smoke can come up under the lid and make a loop which will allow the wood to give a smoky flavor to the meat. Cook for about an hour to hour and a half making sure the roast is medium rare to slightly rare. It takes about as long to cook a roast this way as it does in the oven. I guarantee that you will love it!

Last edited:
Seems a lot of guys need a "recipe" to follow. I usually just start putting together a blend of whatever spices and herbs sound good at the moment among 30-40 we have on hand. Sometimes put together a simple marinade and sometime not. A great way to broaden your flavor horizons is to buy some great spice blends from a place such as Savory Spice Shop. online ordering. They have every spice and herb you could want and dozens of spice blends for flavors you k
might experience from across the globe.

Kinda hard to screw up the taste of wild game when using a light hand on the spices so try xperimenting, it ain't hard to chanfe it up and have a great final product. As has been mentioned Antelope is one of the best and requires no "masking" of natural flavor such as for some critters. here is a weblink for shopping spices and spice blends. I have tried all manner of their blends on lope, moose, elk, sheep, mt. goat, deer, etc and never ben dissapointed.

http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/?gclid=CP7wt6aw0M8CFQINaQodKQIHgg

i used to dredge a lot of wild game steaks in flour with spice and fry/saute. And made chicken fried steak with it. Mostly skip those approaches as simply not necessary and make a lot more mess. Simple grilling or skillet cooking with minimal amount of olive oil needed to keep it moist is all wild game needs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back