2023 controlled hunts

My son drew the Elephant Mountain management deer hunt and we both drew the NWR Laguna Atascosa general deer. The only problem is the Elephant Mountain ends on 12/1 and the NWR starts on 12/1 and they are almost 700 miles apart. 15 points for Elephant Mountain and 6 for NWR. Got to see what he wants to do.

My son drew the Elephant Mountain management deer hunt and we both drew the NWR Laguna Atascosa general deer. The only problem is the Elephant Mountain ends on 12/1 and the NWR starts on 12/1 and they are almost 700 miles apart. 15 points for Elephant Mountain and 6 for NWR. Got to see what he wants to do.
THIS is good info!
Thank you.

Wife and I drew Colorado Bend management deer. 1st draw in a decade of applying in TX for us.

Anyone hunt Colorado Bend? Are compartments assigned via a draw at check-in?
My son killed a whitetail on a Colorado Bend youth hunt a couple years ago. Our compartment was assigned after an orientation and a check-in.

Nothing here, but I'll keep applying. That $3 fee is just not much of a barrier to entry, is it? (Which explains why more than 5,000 people apply annually for the better hunts offered...)

Please don't tell us it only took 12 years.
Just looked, apparently I've been giving Texas my money for 4 years. I honestly never thought I'd see my name come up for anything good... 3200+ applicants for 50 permits translates to roughly 1.5% draw odds.

I'm squarely in the camp of people @bts09 was referring to, only throwing my name in the hat because it was so cheap.

Now, do any of you folks live in south Texas and want to help a typically unlucky Pennsylvanian kill a couple of Nilgai?

Yeah, I have thoughts about the Texas drawn hunt system. I'm glad it's open to residents of other states (or really, anyone), but I don't love that there is no preference at all given to residents, especially considering how few public hunting opportunities there are in Texas because of the absolute paucity of public lands as compared to most western states. And the whole cubed preference point system is absolutely bogus.

(as a result, @jt13, your draw odds calculation was probably off a bit--you likely had a much worse than 1.5% chance of drawing that tag...for example, last year there were 416 applicants in that draw that each had 6 preference points, meaning 6*6*6*416 entries for those 416 applicants alone--that's about 90,000, so even if everyone else only had one point...)

Good luck on your Nilgai hunt. I doubt you'll have too much trouble finding them.

Just looked, apparently I've been giving Texas my money for 4 years. I honestly never thought I'd see my name come up for anything good... 3200+ applicants for 50 permits translates to roughly 1.5% draw odds.

I'm squarely in the camp of people @bts09 was referring to, only throwing my name in the hat because it was so cheap.

Now, do any of you folks live in south Texas and want to help a typically unlucky Pennsylvanian kill a couple of Nilgai?
Good luck @jt13! I hear they are great eating. If I didn't have three under 5 in the house and an already busy schedule, would gladly tag along.

(as a result, @jt13, your draw odds calculation was probably off a bit--you likely had a much worse than 1.5% chance of drawing that tag...for example, last year there were 416 applicants in that draw that each had 6 preference points, meaning 6*6*6*416 entries for those 416 applicants alone--that's about 90,000, so even if everyone else only had one point...)
patrick-shocked-face-meme.jpeg

I've been drawn for Exotic at Devils River Del Norte Unit in January. From what I understand, there is a real nice population of aoudad. It's gonna be an awesome hunt!
I use to put in for that because I wanted to hunt that country. I think I’m done after this year. I’ve put in for so many tags for years and never drew anything.

Congrats though! Hope you have a great time time and tag some animals!

I applied for the sheep raffles and they all say application received. Anyone know off hand the date the results will be posted to our accounts? Thanks

Last edited:
I applied for the sheep raffles and they all say application received. Anyone know off hand the date the results will be posted to our accounts? Thanks
The deadline for Bighorn is Nov 1 and the drawing will be Nov 2.

I drew an archery hunt in december at the lower rio grande valley NWR, cant remember the name of the unit at the moment. Gonna target nilgai. I live in south Texas so will hopefully be able to make it for a few scouting trips. Also have an archery hunt in October on a NWR on the coast.
My 2 boys drew hunt there at the La Sal Del Rey unit Thanksgiving weekend.

It took some negotiationg but I got permission from the better half to chase Nilgai in south Texas, but I'll be going it alone. I've got my flight and rental car booked for Laguna Atascosa!

I'm still sorting out lodging, looking at cheap hotels or AirBnbs. If anyone has any suggestions around Brownsville/Port Isabel, I'm all ears. Also looking for the best way to obtain a deer cart, mountain bike, and some freezer space to use for a few days.

It took some negotiationg but I got permission from the better half to chase Nilgai in south Texas, but I'll be going it alone. I've got my flight and rental car booked for Laguna Atascosa!

I'm still sorting out lodging, looking at cheap hotels or AirBnbs. If anyone has any suggestions around Brownsville/Port Isabel, I'm all ears. Also looking for the best way to obtain a deer cart, mountain bike, and some freezer space to use for a few days.
What dates are you hunting? I know several guys on TexasBowhunter that are drawn there this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back