Yeti GOBOX Collection

2023 controlled hunts

It took some negotiationg but I got permission from the better half to chase Nilgai in south Texas, but I'll be going it alone. I've got my flight and rental car booked for Laguna Atascosa!

I'm still sorting out lodging, looking at cheap hotels or AirBnbs. If anyone has any suggestions around Brownsville/Port Isabel, I'm all ears. Also looking for the best way to obtain a deer cart, mountain bike, and some freezer space to use for a few days.
I stayed at the Casa Rosa hotel in Port Isabel when I hunted Laguna Atascosa. It was clean and the price was reasonable.

I stayed at the Casa Rosa hotel in Port Isabel when I hunted Laguna Atascosa. It was clean and the price was reasonable.
That may be the move.

Glad you have a good review and hard to beat the price.

Port isla inn worked out pretty well for us a year ago. No frills and no need to take your boots off!
I found an AirBnb for less than the cost of a motel, with a full-size fridge freezer set up. Those two were definitely the next best options. Thanks for the input!

I think I'm going to pick up a Walmart bargain basement mountain bike and a deer cart from Dicks/Academy. I'll return them if I don't use them. If I do, I'll donate them to a thrift shop or something before I fly home.

Got an E-mail this AM that I was drawn on the second draw for NWR Muzzleloader Deer at the Trinity River NWR Hirsch unit in Jan. I've hunted this unit before but on the archery hunt. Not a lot of deer but the place is overrun with hogs. It's a lot of fun. Time to dust off the ole Hawken!

I found an AirBnb for less than the cost of a motel, with a full-size fridge freezer set up. Those two were definitely the next best options. Thanks for the input!

I think I'm going to pick up a Walmart bargain basement mountain bike and a deer cart from Dicks/Academy. I'll return them if I don't use them. If I do, I'll donate them to a thrift shop or something before I fly home.
Pick up a few innertubes for the bike and a pump as well. A lot of thorns, you will probably be dealing with flat tires. Also, even in January it might be warm, and you will be dealing with ticks and chiggers on a level that you probably have never experienced in your life. Treat your clothes with a permethrin treatment beforehand, and use an insect repellant on your skin. I like a repellant with picaridin. It doesn't smell after it dries and it works better on ticks than deet.
Snake boots aren't a bad idea either. You will be wading through waist high grass and there are rattlesnakes everywhere.

Man Texas has been pretty generous with this okie. Just drew my 5th hunt spring turkey at Muse wma April 9-11. Like my javelina tag earlier this year picked it up on the 2nd draw after someone either didn't want it or forgot to pay.

Man Texas has been pretty generous with this okie. Just drew my 5th hunt spring turkey at Muse wma April 9-11. Like my javelina tag earlier this year picked it up on the 2nd draw after someone either didn't want it or forgot to pay.
Congrats. I've been meaning to put in for some of OK's controlled hunts. It would be cool to get lucky and draw one of the elk tags.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back