Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2016 montana archery antelope

Elkwhisper

My work takes me to lots of different corners of Montana, and when possible I try to tie in some hunting while I am on the road. The beautiful thing about the 900 antelope tag in MT, is the fact that I can use it pretty much in any district.

I have been out several times near home and have had my eye on a few really good bucks in my normal spots, but when I turned this guy up on Thursday night on my way home from Great Falls, I had to give him a try. I was able to get in front of his line of travel and hunker behind some sage brush just in time for him to step out just over 50 yards. I was out in an ocean of sagebrush and it was getting dark fast. I pulled my phone out to mark the spot on my Onyx Maps ap before I lost light entirely and just as I hit save my phone died.... bummer, and no pics either. With 3/4 of a mile back to the truck I grabbed a hind quarter and went back for my pack. By the time I returned to the truck and grabbed a flashlight and a pack it was pitch dark. I wondered around in the sage for about an hour.... several times literally stepping on sage grouse. It was like a mine field of exploding sage bushes, and but I did manage to make it through with only slight soiling of my under garments. mea

In the end I had to make my way back to the truck and return to pack him out in the morning. I had to work Friday so I made the trek up their at 4am... and was able to locate the buck pretty quickly at first light and get him dealt with. Luckily he had cooled pretty well and the meat is fine. Between the extremely low light at the fact that he had stiffened up pretty good, the pics are not the best, but definitely a buck I am happy with.

Was able to get into a few bulls last night and this morning, but no shots fired.... Off to Dillon this week for a antelope / whitetail hunt with customers... guess I will be on decoy duty most of the time since i am tagged out now, but should be a fun few days, then hoping to get back after the wapati in a few weeks when they hopefully feel like playing more.

Good luck to everyone out there enjoying all these great opportunities we have here in MT!

Attachments

• 14192539_10154375496028820_2235810943575227115_n.jpg
    14192539_10154375496028820_2235810943575227115_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 588
  • 20160909_061853.jpg
    20160909_061853.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 589
Was wondering when the 2016 version would appear. You have that gig figured out. Congrats.

Back