Caribou Gear Tarp

2014 Alaska Moose

CG - if you afforded one moose hunt, you can and will afford another.
Shiat happens.
Odd that a person like yourself booked with a chitee guide/outfitter?

Hey putyoutosleep you need to quit watching those dumb TV hunt shows. You DON'T NEED a guide to hunt moose as a non-resident!!!!! Here we go again - dumb dumber and the dumbest

Hey putyoutosleep you need to quit watching those dumb TV hunt shows. You DON'T NEED a guide to hunt moose as a non-resident!!!!! Here we go again - dumb dumber and the dumbest

Hey you little pillow bitter - areas in Wyoming require a
Guide, not a show watcher, and dumb is different then ignorant.

Just ignorant tO Alaska laws is all.

In Alaska, non residenst aliens ( not US residents) require a guide for all big game. Non residents from USA are only required to have a guide for sheep, brown/grizzly bears, and goats..

My name is Louie and I have been an Alaska guide since 2004. I’ve worked exclusively for Tom Shankster, Alaska Trophy Hunts. I have helped over 30 hunters successfully harvest a dall sheep.

I have successfully guided a number of moose hunters who have harvested bulls and in fact I was with Harold Fahrenbrook when he killed his grizzly bear with a bow. It was incredible to see him hit that bear at 10 yds at a full stride. Though it wasn’t the largest bear I’ve killed, it was incredible. I’ve hunted with Harold on two other occasions in Colorado hunting elk and antelope. In fact Harold called me prior to this hunt. I told him where I knew there were several good bulls but the water was green and to take a filter. Had I known that Matt Clyde “Crittergitter” was involved in this, I would have been less likely to pass on the information because it’s an excellent area where two paying contracted customers would have harvest good bulls.

I have been DIY hunting for 55 years. Though I haven’t harvested any humungous animals, I am very successful. In fact if you look at a past Kenetrek catalog, that’s me on the cover hunting sheep in Alaska.

I’m not looking for recognition or special favors; I just like to hunt.

I know Tom Shankster to be an honorable, honest man with good character. I know of several sheep hunters who were unsuccessful in harvesting sheep on their first attempt due to weather or other factors beyond anyone’s control, who were allowed to come back the next year.

I can easily provide you with a list of hunters who have the exact opposite opinion of Tom that Matt Clyde has (aka Crittergitter).

I won’t be posting again and I won’t be answering any questions (unless you want those hunters’ names with positive opinions of Tom). Thought you would like to know there’s another side to this story

PS If you see a truck from Nevada in the Missouri Breaks this year, it’s ME!!!!

Seems these two posts are at odds with each other...........

We signed over a transfer of possession form and although I didn’t feel I got even half what our deal was, I wrote him a check for the full amount we agreed to before the hunt.

Tom Shankster: copy/paste from post #136 on this thread.

#1. "CG" was never a client. I challenge him to produce any receipt, canceled check, contract or Hunt report. There is none. All of this is verified by the Alaska State Troopers and the Commercial Services Board. CG never paid me for hunting fees, for flights, meat removal, and meals etc… not one dime. "no payments, no contract, no obligation on my part"

Whoa! After a few texts from buddies yesterday and today, I figured I better find some internet connection to see what the fuss was about. LOL.

First, thanks Big Fin for the nice follow up post to Marsha (Louie), I appreciate that greatly! As well as all other hunt talkers that are smart enough to realize the smell of BS when it floats in. Thanks for having my back.

Second, Tom how are you! :rolleyes: Curious why it only took.... what... 8 months to figure out how to come up with something to post here? The trouble with people that are pathological liars, is that eventually, they can't remember their own lies.

And by the way, your challenge is going to be greatly accepted. While I'm travelling I don't have access to much of my stuff so it will take me a couple days to make you look like a bigger idiot, but at your request.........I will do so.

Tom, since we are playing a challenge game here, maybe you would be so kind as to provide a couple of things that some hunt talk fellas really would like to know:

Let's start with a super easy one........Can you explain to all the folks here why Nyles moose went completely to waste? Before you go pointing fingers and blaming someone, let me remind you I have printouts of every single message that went from my Delorme to your computer...........I think a lot of people would like to hear an answer for why an entire moose would go to 100% waste under an outfitted hunt.

We will just start with that one for now, heck that should be an easy one. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, bud, more to come:)

Seems these two posts are at odds with each other...........

Tom Shankster: copy/paste from post #136 on this thread.

#1. "CG" was never a client. I challenge him to produce any receipt, canceled check, contract or Hunt report. There is none. All of this is verified by the Alaska State Troopers and the Commercial Services Board. CG never paid me for hunting fees, for flights, meat removal, and meals etc… not one dime. "no payments, no contract, no obligation on my part"

Kansasdad,

You are correct, they are at odds. one is correct statement, one is an incorrect statement.
Copies of evidence coming when I get home from my trip.;)

Tom is correct in stating there was no actual contract, glad he pointed that out because that makes him look even worse. Do a drop hunt with two guys and not have any record whatsoever of the two guys you dropped. What if he would have crashed his home made plane and I didn't have delorme? Who would ever know where we are?
Tom burned the check, never cashed it. All I have is a copy of it. Yea, he is going to likely keep lying and say that I didn't write it out. By the way, it was sitting at the table in the cook tent, same time we filled out transfer of possession forms. He asked me to write it out directly to one of his guides, Spencer McQewen (sp). I'll look at the check when I get home, Tom spelled it out for me as I wrote the check. He also told me to write "for advertising" in the memo line. Unsure of his intentions with this method of payment but I wrote and handed him the check. He must also not remember there were three other people in the cook tent who witnessed that happen. :hump:
I ended up going to the bank and cancelling that check, cost me $35 bucks.

Well - sounds like both have some more explaining to do?, went hunting without a guide as a NR
In AK? Maybe a little under the table deal - went sour!
So Mr Sjankster - were you sited and ticketed!?

I'll explain what you want. NR isn't required to have a Guide (albeit, was with one).;)

It went sour all right, but nothing under the table.

For the record, this hunt was not a fully guided hunt. Tom owed my friend Harold a sheep hunt for guiding services he provided in years prior. After years of Tom not fulfilling his obligation, claiming he didn't have a guide available (that's what happens when you book 40 hunters a year with only a few guides), Harold made a deal with Tom that he would trade it for a moose hunt for him and I but I had to get a really good deal. Well, Tom said he would do that. Harold would pay nothing to trade for his guiding services, I would pay $5,500. This was for a fully outfitted drop hunt, so we would essentially be provided everything but a guide. He did state that if we shot something that needed packed, he would provide packers for us, but we would have to pay them separately. He provided no tent, no food, no packers, and did not get all our moose meat out. Even though he says so, he didn't, and that is going to be evident shortly:)

CG - if you afforded one moose hunt, you can and will afford another.
Shiat happens.
Odd that a person like yourself booked with a chitee guide/outfitter?

Someday I will for sure, but most likely will be my son on the trigger on the next go round. ;)

Again, if it weren't for the deal and setup that was supposed to happen, I never would have considered. My buddy actually warned me before we went that something like this could happen. He felt it was low risk though since we weren't needing guides. Apparently that didn't matter.

My name is Louie and I have been an Alaska guide since 2004. I’ve worked exclusively for Tom Shankster, Alaska Trophy Hunts. I have helped over 30 hunters successfully harvest a dall sheep.

I have successfully guided a number of moose hunters who have harvested bulls and in fact I was with Harold Fahrenbrook when he killed his grizzly bear with a bow. It was incredible to see him hit that bear at 10 yds at a full stride. Though it wasn’t the largest bear I’ve killed, it was incredible. I’ve hunted with Harold on two other occasions in Colorado hunting elk and antelope. In fact Harold called me prior to this hunt. I told him where I knew there were several good bulls but the water was green and to take a filter. Had I known that Matt Clyde “Crittergitter” was involved in this, I would have been less likely to pass on the information because it’s an excellent area where two paying contracted customers would have harvest good bulls.

I have been DIY hunting for 55 years. Though I haven’t harvested any humungous animals, I am very successful. In fact if you look at a past Kenetrek catalog, that’s me on the cover hunting sheep in Alaska.

I’m not looking for recognition or special favors; I just like to hunt.

I know Tom Shankster to be an honorable, honest man with good character. I know of several sheep hunters who were unsuccessful in harvesting sheep on their first attempt due to weather or other factors beyond anyone’s control, who were allowed to come back the next year.

I can easily provide you with a list of hunters who have the exact opposite opinion of Tom that Matt Clyde has (aka Crittergitter).

I won’t be posting again and I won’t be answering any questions (unless you want those hunters’ names with positive opinions of Tom). Thought you would like to know there’s another side to this story

PS If you see a truck from Nevada in the Missouri Breaks this year, it’s ME!!!!

Louie,

First, what disappoints me most about where this stands from your involvement is this: Harold and I have done a fair number of hunts together over the years and we are great friends. He has spoken of you numerous times during our hunts and has never said a negative thing about you, in fact quite the opposite. He has always considered you a friend of his and was very appreciative of the tips you gave him for the moose area, AS AM I. With all Harold has spoke over the years, I have had a great respect for you without knowing you. Most of that is now lost. You don't have to have humongous animals on the wall to earn the respect of the people. You used to have my respect without even knowing how many animals you killed or how big they were. Hopefully someday we will meet and you can make YOUR OWN judgment, not Toms judgment.

You are absolutely correct, I believe that you can find a list of people who were happy with their hunts up there. Geez Louie, the few references on his website would prove that at least a few people have had a good time. But when you book 40 hunters and have 4-5 guides in camp, you know that's a disaster waiting to happen. I would put a Benjamin on it that during this season, far more left pissed off and unhappy than those that left happy. Haven't you yourself actually commented in the past about how disorganized Tom's camp is? By the way, really was looking forward to meeting you on that trip, why was it that you left again?

But before you run your mouth at shows, and run your mouth on here, telling people my story is wrong, questioning my integrity, don't you think that maybe you should do some fact finding first? If you had done any, you would find that your buddy Tom isn't the stand up guy you are claiming. You will see that soon enough. I'd start looking for another job if I were you. Tom says I didn't hand him a check. I did hand him a check, and two of the
three other people who witnessed it, are willing to sit in a courtroom to testify to it. You still believe I didn't hand Tom a check?

You state that Tom is an honorable, honest man, with good character. I can respect your wanting to defend a buddy, but those are not the words I or anybody else in our camp during my stay would have used........

I'm ready to answer any questions you have .............fire away Louie, got nothing to hide here bud.

My big mistake was not having CG immediately removed from my camp from the begining. He disrupted the experience of my paying clients. He ended up being an unwelcome imposition.

You had that option actually. If you would have held up your end of the deal, both Harold and I would have been out hunting the entire time I was stuck in your shithole camp that the state of Alaska should be embarrassed for allowing you to create.

The last thing I wanted was to have a negative situation happen between you and I but when you have already tarnished the hell out of your reputation, and you lie to tarnish mine, I'm not going to sit back and watch.

By the way, got a picture of my moose cape about 2 weeks ago, thanks for getting that, its still hanging in the bush where I left it for you.

What goes around, comes around. I'm a believer, how about you?

Most of the time my opinion is that a publiuc forum isn't really the place for personal issues like this. Not this time. Sounds like this giuy really deserves what is coming. Go get him critter, and sorry it ended up like this for you. mtmuley

Hey I have read this complete "story" here. There has got to be two sides to this story. Have you heard the other side? How do you know this "thecrittergitter" is being HONEST?

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I didn't realize Tom Shankster was such a shady character.

WOW!!!

Having hunted Alaska DIY 4 different times I know what type of prep work go's into a moose hunt and with CritterGitters hunting experience I am 100% sure that he did not go into this without having a plan in place for meat removal. As for Tom Shankster, Sir you are about to do battle with a very well prepared well documented individual and I have a feeling that you don't even know where you left your car keys.

Last edited:
Anyone interested go to

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/832100588/m/9861027112

There is my info on Tom Shankster.

I was there in camp the same time. Critter was there and everything I observed was that he was treated as a paying client. Keep in mind all clients in camp were treated like crap. Every hunter in camp had a different financial deal. I was paying $12,800. Worst hunt of my life and I shot a moose.

I would never hunt or be associated in anything with Tom Shankster. Bob Graham one of the guides for Tom Shankster is an amazing hunter, guide, person and Alaskan. Bob Graham got me a moose and brought some joy to the misery of being in Tom Shankster hunting camp.

Mike

Last edited:
I cannot believe I missed this thread. And now that I am caught up, I better go to Costco for popcorn! I am sorry to hear about your experience Matt, but I enjoy it when someone underestimates the power of technology and the internet. He may have been able to get away with cr@p for years, but now it is out there for everyone to see.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back