Guidance on choosing a new barrel or new rifle

yakimanoob

Hey folks!

I've never been quite satisfied with the accuracy of my Savage 16 LWH with the factory 20" 1:9.5 7mm-08 barrel, and have been looking at new barrel options. As much as I'd love to drop $1000+ on a premium tube, it's hard to stomach that in light of all the great guns that can be bought for the same or less $$. It looks like I could put together a fluted criterion barrel from NSS for less than $700, or a carbon barrel from Oregon Mountain Rifles for a little less than $800.

Does anyone on here have experience with either of those, and do you recommend them?

Or do you think I'd be better served investing in a new rifle from the get-go?

I won't be getting rid of the Savage either way, as it was my first hunting rifle and a birthday gift from my wife, but even if I can find a handload with good accuracy, the pencil barrel seriously limits my ability to practice before the barrel gets scalding hot.

Whether with this rifle or a new one, the long-term goal is an ultralight backpack hunting rifle with a folding stock. In that sense, this whole project long-term has a $3k price limit, because if I'm going to spend that, I'll just buy a new Savage Ultralight Elite.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice!

I would skip the carbon and go straight steel. A lot of good barrels out there now. Could go the prefit route or buy a blank and have it threaded/chambered. Either way you should come in under $700

Whether with this rifle or a new one, the long-term goal is an ultralight backpack hunting rifle with a folding stock. In that sense, this whole project long-term has a $3k price limit, because if I'm going to spend that, I'll just buy a new Savage Ultralight Elite.
I’m not one to talk anyone out of a new rifle but this quote may change my mind.

Really? On a Savage?

3k gets you into a custom rifle with a good action.

I’m not one to talk anyone out of a new rifle but this quote may change my mind.

Really? On a Savage?

3k gets you into a custom rifle with a good action.
A custom rifle with a proof research barrel and an MDT Hnt26 folding stock chassis? You'd be hard-pressed to buy the barrel and chassis alone for $2.5k, so with factory blueprinted action and ready to shoot, $3k is about right.

More importantly, this was simply mentioned as a price reference. If I'm going to spend $3k, I have a LOT of options to choose from. I take it your recommendation would be to buy something other than a Savage, but that's neither here nor there.

Hey folks!

I've never been quite satisfied with the accuracy of my Savage 16 LWH with the factory 20" 1:9.5 7mm-08 barrel, and have been looking at new barrel options. As much as I'd love to drop $1000+ on a premium tube, it's hard to stomach that in light of all the great guns that can be bought for the same or less $$. It looks like I could put together a fluted criterion barrel from NSS for less than $700, or a carbon barrel from Oregon Mountain Rifles for a little less than $800.

Does anyone on here have experience with either of those, and do you recommend them?

Or do you think I'd be better served investing in a new rifle from the get-go?

I won't be getting rid of the Savage either way, as it was my first hunting rifle and a birthday gift from my wife, but even if I can find a handload with good accuracy, the pencil barrel seriously limits my ability to practice before the barrel gets scalding hot.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your advice!
If I wanted a threaded muzzle for hunting suppressed I would go carbon barrel - as you retain sufficient thickness for threading with out a weight penalty. If I wasn't threading, I would view a thin fluted barrel vs carbon barrel as a toss up choice. I have lightweight rifles in both form factors, but the un-threaded one is rarely going to leave the safe as shooting suppressed is a hard habit to give up once you enjoy it.

As for hot barrel practice, I wouldn't worry about that - as intentional practice (different shooting positions, different distances, different wind conditions, etc) is more important than high volume shooting IMO. If you are really new to shooting and feel you need high volume reps to build trigger discipline etc, then I would buy a cheap .223 with a bull barrel and put a good trigger in it and practice with the cheaper ammo.

To me the new verse rebuild question relates to the "donor action". If I had no sentimental interest I would definitely go with a new build and either get a Tikka action, a trued Rem 700 action, or a custom premium Rem700 footprint action. This is because while Savage makes useful hunting tools at reasonable prices their actions are far from premium in feel or usage.

While I haven't been watching post-covid pricing, if you aren't going gold standard on everything and assembling yourself, pre-covid $2,000-$3,000 is achievable range.

Have you ever attained the level of accuracy you want from a rifle that weighs as little as that Savage?

Kygunco has some crazy deals on Brownings these days.

If lightweight and suppressed is your game, then go with a carbon. If you're not going to get a can, just go with a steel barrel. You can get same weight and lighter with just as much accuracy (or better) potential if you get a high quality steel barrel (Bartlein, Kreiger, Lilja, etc.).

Have you ever attained the level of accuracy you want from a rifle that weighs as little as that Savage?
Yes.

I'm not looking for ten shots through the same hole; I'm just getting tired of 2 MOA groups. For most of my hunting, it doesn't matter, but I'd like to eventually stretch out to the 500-ish yard territory.

A few questions ... Have you bedded the action and adjusted the trigger? Have you shot other rifles better?

As far as practice goes for hunting. There isn't a huge advantage of shooting lots of times in a short amount of time. Hopefully, you shoot one shot on each trip and then go retrieve the animal.

For lots of shooting in a short amount of time, you might consider a heavy barrel with maybe a light caliber like 6mm ARC, 223 etc.

Carbon is a waste of $ unless you think it’s worth that for aesthetic reasons. @p_ham posted this thread showing the options out there to not need a fat barrel for muzzle threads:

for cheap savage barrels I’d look into the urban rifleman barrels using Wilson blanks but criterion seems like a good option too.

A few questions ... Have you bedded the action and adjusted the trigger? Have you shot other rifles better?

As far as practice goes for hunting. There isn't a huge advantage of shooting lots of times in a short amount of time. Hopefully, you shoot one shot on each trip and then go retrieve the animal.

For lots of shooting in a short amount of time, you might consider a heavy barrel with maybe a light caliber like 6mm ARC, 223 etc.

It's currently in a fully-bedded Accustock, and yes I've shot other rifles better.

@yakimanoob,

I know a guy...

@p_ham has already built it.

@yakimanoob,

I know a guy...

@p_ham has already built it.

That’s a sweet looking rifle.

I would lean pretty hard toward a custom stainless barrel in a No 5 contour or heavier, and have it chambered and fitted by a gunsmith with a good reputation for making accurate rifles. I prefer Krieger, but all the big name custom barrel makers make good barrels. Not only should that be cheaper than some of the pre-fits, but it’s usually better, and it’s only worse if the gunsmith sucks.

That said I wouldn’t be opposed to building on something other than a Savage. I’ve seen them shoot great, but they haven’t converted me.

I think it depends on what YOU want to do. If you want to make memories with this gun since it was a gift, then make it what you want. If that doesn't matter, you are right that there are lots of nice options. I have a Howa Randy Newberg 2 that I think is great. To each their own.

Anytime someone is super focused on an 'ultralight' rifle, I always think they should just spend more time in the gym and either lose the couple pounds they're hoping to save, or gain a couple pounds of muscle so the can carry a normal rifle that shoots better than an ultralight.

Only reason's I can think of to have a gun re-barreled is you either want a wild catt or something your having a hard time finding. Got my 6.5x06 quite a few years ago and it ran something around $800 with a Shilen barrel. Then wanted a 260 Rem and had a 700 ADL in 243 re-barreled. Also ran about $800 with a Lilja barrel. Probably could have looked harder and found a new factory 260 for quite a bit less but the 6.5x06 was not gonna be had other than custom. Got both of them when I had some money to spare otherwise wouldn't have either!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back