2014 Alaska Moose

Ive been following this from the begining. Please keep us updated as to what happens with that dillhole of an outfitter.

Great writeup, Critter. You and your buddy obviously put in major work to get two nice bulls on the ground without help from the "outfitter" and it had to be crummy to lose the meat, capes and antlers. Most people would've simply given up - even on a "once-in-a-lifetime" hunt. Way to stick with it even though the ending wasn't exactly happy.

More than wanton waste - which is terrible by itself - this guy is endangering people's lives by not having enough resources for them to be safely in the Alaskan backcountry. Hopefully he gets shut down in short order, although it's already closing in on another moose season... maybe there's a reason he keeps being able to dodge legal problems and take clients for a ride. Hope he gets what's coming to him, or at least loses his business. Glad you shared the bad along with the good.

I have been following your story since you first posted it and am very interested in the outcome. You guys did a hell of a job with what you had to deal with! Sad how a dream hunt can turn into kind of a nightmare all because of some a** hole. I hope everything works out for you gentleman.

Hey I have read this complete "story" here. There has got to be two sides to this story. Have you heard the other side? How do you know this "thecrittergitter" is being HONEST?

Hey I have read this complete "story" here. There has got to be two sides to this story. Have you heard the other side? How do you know this "thecrittergitter" is being HONEST?

Welcome to the forum. Rather peculiar first post. Here is the answer to your question, since you show up a stranger, implying in your very first post, that Critter is not being honest.

I trust that Critter is being honest, because I have personally known him for ten years. Because I have hunted with him on many occasions. Because I see a person who does a ton of volunteering within his community and spends a lot of his time and money making things better for those not as fortunate as him. Because he gives a lot more than he takes. Because I know his family, his wife, and his kids.

Critter has been on this forum for years. If you did a poll here of who members would ask for help if they drew a tag in Montana, I suspect he would win the poll by a landslide. He spends most of his season helping others, even though he has a business to run, four kids, and his own hunting to try fit in.

So, he has earned the trust of people on this forum; members here place faith in what he says and what he writes on a topic such as this.

And because I know the guy who was with him on this hunt, who is almost a modern day Jeremiah Johnson bowyer/traditional archer who is amazingly humble in spite of his hunting accomplishments with a traditional bow. And who just happens to be a licensed guide in AK. He's "been there, done that." I have no reason to doubt his story or integrity, either.

So, before you come here and try to stir something on behalf of the jackass outfitters who has a rap sheet of complaints longer than the Dead Sea Scrolls, it would be beneficial for you to do a bit of background research on the folks involved. To do what you have comes across as half-cocked and as though you were sent here by Mr. Outfitter.

If you were sent here by Mr. Outfitter, why don't you tell him to chime in over here and give his side of the story. And while he is at it, send him to the many other forums where similar reports can be found of the way he operates. I suspect you would question all those other hunters with similar complaints as also being dishonest.

I know a lot of good outfitters. Just had one as a guest on my Podcast yesterday. Spent three days with some other fine outfitters last week. Yet, like all groups, a few jackasses can really make it tough sledding for the good guys. This outfitter falls into the jackass category, so you might want to rethink the propriety of defending him and his actions.

Anyone who screws over as many hunters as he has, who has caused the spoilage and loss of as much meat as he has, deserves to be called out, as has happened in this forum. He deserves to lose every license he has and be put out of business. I doubt many AK outfitters would come to his rescue, given the bad name he gives the profession. He might be one of the guys who will send me an email threatening to sue me if I don't remove this thread from the forum. Tell him if that is a concern, he can take a number and stand in line with the rest of the dudes who have made the same threat; all being dudes who operate like this and are surprised when modern day communications, such as forums, starts to shine some light on the cockroaches of the hunting world.

Next question!

Ruh-roh. (Scobey-doo accent optional).

I knew I felt a disturbance in the Force! Marsha you may want to rethink yourself.

Last edited:
welcome to the forum. Rather peculiar first post. Here is the answer to your question, since you show up a stranger, implying in your very first post, that critter is not being honest.

I trust that critter is being honest, because i have personally known him for ten years. Because i have hunted with him on many occasions. Because i see a person who does a ton of volunteering withing his community and spends a lot of his time and money making things better for those not as fortunate as him. Because he gives a lot more than he takes. Because i know his family, his wife, and his kids.

Critter has been on this forum for years. If you did a poll here of who members would ask for help if they drew a tag in montana, i suspect he would win the poll by a landslide. He spends most of his season helping others, even though he has a business to run, four kids, and his own hunting to try fit in.

So, he has earned the trust of people on this forum; members here place faith in what he says and what he writes on a topic such as this.

And because i know the guy who was with him on this hunt, who is almost a modern day jeremiah johnson bowyer/traditional archer who is amazingly humble in spite of his hunting accomplishments with a traditional bow. And who just happens to be a licensed guide in ak. He's "been there, done that." i have no reason to doubt his story or integrity, either.

So, before you come here and try to stir something on behalf of the jackass outfitters who has a rap sheet of complaints longer than the dead sea scrolls, it would be beneficial for you to do a bit of background research on the folks involved. To do what you have comes across as half-cocked and as though you were sent here by mr. Outfitter.

If you were sent here by mr. Outfitter, why don't you tell him to chime in over here and give his side of the story. And while he is at it, send him to the many other forums where similar reports can be found of the way he operates. I suspect you would question all those other hunters with similar complaints as also being dishonest.

I know a lot of good outfitters. Just had one as a guest on my podcast yesterday. Spent three days with some other fine outfitters last week. Yet, like all groups, a few jackasses can really make it tough sledding for the good guys. This outfitter falls into the jackass category, so you might want to rethink the propriety of defending him and his actions.

Anyone who screws over as many hunters as he has, who has caused the spoilage and loss of as much meat as he has, deserves to be called out, as has happened in this forum. He deserves to lose every license he has and be put out of business. I doubt many ak outfitters would come to his rescue, given the bad name he gives the profession. He might be one of the guys who will send me an email threatening to sue me if i don't remove this thread from the forum. Tell him if that is a concern, he can take a number and stand in line with the rest of the dudes who have made the same threat; all being dudes who operate like this and are surprised when modern day communications, such as forums, starts to shine some light on the cockroaches of the hunting world.

Next question!

👍👌👏

How do we know you're not a troll, or a friend of Joe Schuster, or a PETA nut-job?

Please take your lack of knowledge, and absence of courtesy, back where you came from.

How do you know this "thecrittergitter" is being HONEST?
'Typical wrong-headed ploy. When you can't defend the egregious, unethical, unprofessional behavior of the perpetrator ... then you unfairly attack the party who has the courage to shine the light of day on the bad behavior and lack of integrity.

I know because I received calls from Critters friend who was stuck hanging out for days on end waiting for a ride into this place. I also received messages from Critter when he was using his Delorme giving me updates from day one. There was no reason to start the hunt off writing those messages if everything was peachy. He was so excited to go on this hunt and prepared all winter..I actually was getting this whole story as it was unfolding day by day. This isn't just some story he started writing upon on his return. It happened!

other side

As an introduction, I am Tom Shankster, Alaska Master Guide #148. I moved to Alaska from CO in 1980, at 23 years of age; this was a dream come true. I began guiding for George and Marty Palmer in the mid 80's, and eventually bought the business from George in 2004.
I am several months and pages behind in this, however, I will do my best to address the issues brought to the public on this forum by Critter Getter (CG).
#1. "CG" was never a client. I challenge him to produce any receipt, canceled check, contract or Hunt report. There is none. All of this is verified by the Alaska State Troopers and the Commercial Services Board. CG never paid me for hunting fees, for flights, meat removal, and meals etc… not one dime. "no payments, no contract, no obligation on my part"
#2. No meat was wasted by me. All of CG's meat was flown out of the spike camp. The first 2/3s of this meat was flown out (at my expense) and donated to needy families. The remaining meat was removed from the bags that CG had it in and then hung to keep cool and dry."no payments, no contract, no obligation on my part" The 12 member staff and crew I had in camp had eaten quite a bit of this meat, but the remainder was confiscated by AK State Troopers along with antlers with no reason given to me as to why.
My big mistake was not having CG immediately removed from my camp from the begining. He disrupted the experience of my paying clients. He ended up being an unwelcome imposition.

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. I hope you will stick around to answer some of the questions that I'm sure will arise.

As for me, I'll go get some popcorn.

Well - sounds like both have some more explaining to do?, went hunting without a guide as a NR
In AK? Maybe a little under the table deal - went sour!
So Mr Sjankster - were you sited and ticketed!?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back