2012 Desert Ram

thanks for the best wishes of luck everyone! work is going to be tough today. leaving bright and early in the morning...don't know how far we'll make it tomorrow, but we'll give it a good push. google says its 18 hours from my house to the unit....ouch! Oh well.

So, here's a bit of a dilema or question for you all. Gun or bow? I am bringing both and would really like to arrow a ram! I've spent a fair amount of time around rocky mountain big horns and if I were hunting them would feel pretty confident that i could get within bow range. But, people tell me that the deserts are a little more skittish. I'm thinking, this unit has never been hunted before...how skittish could they be? I guess we'll just have to find out!

Hypothetical question....We find a giant ram, and I'm classifying a giant ram as anything over 175", (FYI Pope and Young World Record Desert Sheep scored 178") what do you do...

I might try with a bow for a couple days and see how things are going, but I also would not hesistate to use the rifle on such a rare oppurtunity.

Hypothetical question....We find a giant ram, and I'm classifying a giant ram as anything over 175", (FYI Pope and Young World Record Desert Sheep scored 178") what do you do...

How many chances you think you'll have to hunt desert sheep in your life?

I wouldn't even consider bringing my bow if I had your tag, I'd be bringing Crittergitters rifle for back up...

my dad told me he is gonna cut my bow string before i leave so I don't eve have the option to "screw around with a bow" :rolleyes: Just have to see how it goes I guess!

Dream Ram!

IMG_0225[1].jpg

Like Tone said, give it a go for 2-3 days if you've got the itch. Me? I'm an archer too, but "a man's got to know his limitations." Pass the ammo, amigo ...

Man, I cannot imagine holding those horns after a nice 30 yard bow shot.

I also understand what a rare opportunity you have here. Make the most of it.

The rifle or bow question is a tough one.

I know if it was me and I ended up taking a ram early in the season with my rifle, I would always regret and wonder if I could have gotten it done with the bow. But on the other hand, if I was successful using my bow I would NEVER regret using my bow! Just depends what you will be happy with in the end. Looks like I may be outnumbered when I say try hard to arrow one first before you bust out the rifle!

Either way, I hope to see pics of a big old desert ram on the ground! :hump:

Good luck to you on this one. I'm excited to hear the story and see how it turns out especially after the rest of your season. I hope you whack a toad.

Kyle, the world record archery sheep is now about 6" higher than 178". A 184" was taken recently which hammered that old record. Maybe that will influence you one way or another on the weapon.....

I know I'd be taking the rifle, but totally up to you:)

Best of luck. Maybe you could strap the rifle to the pack, stalk anything with the bow that you would be truly happy to tag with an arrow and if by chance you do find a monster, stalk in and blow it, there is a good chance you will still be able to dust it with the rifle. Dont worry too much about score, enjoy the hunt for all that it gives you on the quest for a mature animal.

Im all about the bow my friend but Sheep tags are way to far and few between if ever. Give it a go for a few days and then let some lead fly.....:cool:

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back