Dear Missouri Breaks: I'm Ready for Ewe

Clarq

I just returned from my first trip to the Missouri Breaks. What a place! I have a ewe tag for the west side of 680. This journey began earlier this year when I made the decision to go after a ewe tag. I had applied for ram tags for a handful of years prior, but odds of me ever getting one in the nonresident draw are absurdly low, especially as a younger person late to the points game. I decided that this year might as well be the year.

I was initially notified that I had successfully drawn, followed by a press release from the FWP that they drew too many names and that I may or may not have drawn after all. After waiting for an agonizing day or so, I received another email confirming that my draw had indeed been successful. Talk about frustrating! After that, my planning began in earnest and I felt like I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to see on my first trip there.

After a 10-hour drive and setting up camp, I spent a few days looking for sheep, exploring access points, and putting my game plan together.

IMG_20230901_192733928_HDR-PANO.jpg

I viewed this as more of a scouting trip than anything, but had my bow along with me in case an opportunity to fill my tag during the early archery portion of the season presented itself. Unfortunately, I didn't have success finding ewes. I did learn a lot regardless and I think I'm much wiser and well-prepared having made the trip.

I did find a handful of rams over the course of the weekend. I don't have a camera that does any sort of justice to it, but I had an up-close and personal experience with 3 rams that was really neat and definitely a highlight of the trip. They appeared to be in the 4 - 6 year old range but were already as big as many rams ever seem to get in my home state.

IMG_20230902_064511632.jpg

There's no better way to start fall than with a sheep tag in your pocket! Access to sheep country (and specifically the areas where ewes are most often found) is definitely trickier than I gave it credit for when I applied for this tag, but at this point I'm still feeling optimistic. I'm already missing it and getting excited to go back.

IMG_20230902_164405627_HDR.jpg

Wishing everyone a safe and successful hunting season! To be continued...

Beautiful country for sure! Keep at it. I'm sure you'll find them.

Now that you have a "ewe tag" ... you'll see nothing but rams :D . Those animals know when you have a tag in your pocket or not. Keep us posted and enjoy your adventure. Should be fun.

I've always wanted to see the "Breaks". Having a ewe tag is great motivation to do so.
Great report. Please keep us updated.
It's probably the only way most of us will get there.

I'm considering doing this hunt as well. I'm excited to read about how your hunt goes. The Breaks look like a special place that is high on my list of places I want to hunt. Keep after it! Good luck. Have fun.

It is awesome in there. If you go before the general deer season it will just be sheep hunters for the most part in the area.

Hey all - here with a brief and boring update. My plans to get back up there have been cancelled a total of three times! Twice due to weather and once due to an urgent situation at work that had million dollar implications for our business (fortunately it worked out well for the business, just not for my trip).

Anyway, next week is the week! Any updates on what the rut action will be like? Can I rely on the sound of butting heads to guide me to a ewe?

Looking forward to another trip! I'll be back with pictures and hopefully some fresh meat in a week or so.

Hey all - here with a brief and boring update. My plans to get back up there have been cancelled a total of three times! Twice due to weather and once due to an urgent situation at work that had million dollar implications for our business (fortunately it worked out well for the business, just not for my trip).

Anyway, next week is the week! Any updates on what the rut action will be like? Can I rely on the sound of butting heads to guide me to a ewe?

Looking forward to another trip! I'll be back with pictures and hopefully some fresh meat in a week or so.
Do you have river access or no. Most of the ewes I saw last fall were several miles down from the ferry or well up into the wheat.

Do you have river access or no. Most of the ewes I saw last fall were several miles down from the ferry or well up into the wheat.
I don't have a boat. I was able to get permission to cross through some private land that should lead to some good sheep country. A bit of a walk, but that's good with me.

I don't have a boat. I was able to get permission to cross through some private land that should lead to some good sheep country. A bit of a walk, but that's good with me.
I did see a few ewes down the old army road. Is the access you have through the conservation easement?

Back