MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

1st Muzzle loader! Thank you!

ant197

Hello All,

Wanted to take a few moments and say thanks to the community. I have spent months perusing this forum and the internet on information about purchasing my first muzzleloader and the shear volume of data is daunting. Caliber, barrel length, northwest vs 209, coated vs uncoated, what addons I would need to get started, the list goes on. I never really had any reason to post just lurk in the shadows and learn.
I spent time writing down questions and pros and cons to different rifles and in the end had some questions I wanted to physically talk to someone about. I reached out to my local gun shop who was not much help (lack of knowledge)
I tried to reach out to CVA and Traditions which was no help.
I had heard of www.muzzle-loaders.com from a few people on this forum and reached out to them and spoke with Coulton who was a great help in clearing up some of my questions and giving me some advice on things I needed vs things I did not. He took 10-15 minutes out of his day to work through my list and answer my questions which made me feel better about my choice. I also learned that CVA does not come with an extension for the rod anymore so it’s good I talked to them or would have had a hard time cleaning the barrel. He also explained that the threads are under the palm saver which I didn’t know.
Lots of internet places say they have customer service but they spoke to me and I had not purchased a thing from them ever.
I ended up purchasing my rifle from them since they had taken the time to help me and it was a simple process.
In the end I went with a CVA Optima V2 with the nitride barrel a Burris scope and blackthorn 209 breach plug. I chose the CVA after talking with Coulton because they make a northwest legal breach plug and I would not need to buy another rifle if I ever venture out west! (I know I will need iron sites if this happens).
If anyone has been debating a purchase and has questions that a local shop can’t or won’t take time to answer I recommend giving them a call!

Thanks for everyone who has shared knowledge on this forum!

Anthony

In the end I went with a CVA Optima V2 with the nitride barrel a Burris scope and blackthorn 209 breach plug.

Great call on talking to the guys at muzzle-loaders.com, they are awesome in every respect. And that Optima is an excellent choice to get your feet wet in the world of blackpowder hunting- I've had one for several years and love it. Going to be getting very close with mine here over the course of August and September, in fact. They're not the fanciest, but do a great job at a very affordable price point.

If you haven't developed a load yet, Barnes T-EZs over ~85 grains by volume of BH200 work great for states that allow sabots. Let us know how it goes!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back