Who needs Earth First...

I was going to say, both are stupid...why would you take you huskies out during a wolf season?! Put orange on them...the hunter is dumb too...but I don't think the whole story is being told.

I defiantly would never take any dog out that looks wolf-like in a forested area at this time, without having them in control. And it sounds a little fishy the way the story changed so much, I defiantly feel like articles about hunters or "assault rifles" from the news may not be trustworthy. Huh... who would have ever imagined the news would get something wrong?

This is pretty sad. Based on the comments in both of the above articles, I don't think Montana will be known for great hunting in the future. They all sounded like they were from California. The amount of ignorance posted was ridiculous. Ultimately it was the hunter's mistake, but I definitely wouldn't take a dog with some similarities to a wolf out in the backcountry during wolf season. I would venture to guess there will be a bunch of caution signs that pop up in Montana warning dog owners to wear orange. Lol

I don't think Montana will be known for great hunting in the future
It already isn't, the greenie libtards Baucus and Tester are seeking to promote roadless areas completely dead of game due to the introduction of non-native Canadian wolves.

As a Montanan, nothing makes me happier than people thinking this way and spreading the word. Hey, the economy in Montana sucks too, and the weather is terrible. The people are unfriendly, and there's nothing to do.

Have fun in Utah.

This is pretty sad. Based on the comments in both of the above articles, I don't think Montana will be known for great hunting in the future. They all sounded like they were from California. The amount of ignorance posted was ridiculous. Ultimately it was the hunter's mistake, but I definitely wouldn't take a dog with some similarities to a wolf out in the backcountry during wolf season. I would venture to guess there will be a bunch of caution signs that pop up in Montana warning dog owners to wear orange. Lol

It wasn't in the backcountry. It was close to a campground, either on or adjacent to a road. Hunter shot it at 15 yards, dog had lights & a collar on. If you can't see that, then you shouldn't be hunting.

It wasn't in the backcountry. It was close to a campground, either on or adjacent to a road. Hunter shot it at 15 yards, dog had lights & a collar on. If you can't see that, then you shouldn't be hunting.

Do you have some information we don't? He could have been miles back. The article only said the road was closed to motorized travel (and the MFWP regs say it is only illegal to shoot from a road if it is open to vehicular travel). I'm not expecting a lot of honesty from the dog owner. The picture of the dog shows that the collar is barely visible. I'm not sure a light is helpful in the day or if it was even visible to the hunter. I'm not saying the hunter isn't responsible, but the outcome was quite foreseeable.

[edit: I also got to question the 15 yard allegation - especially since he only made one fatal shot out of (allegedly) six.]

Last edited:
From folks who live and recreate around the area it's been described as a high use area for non-consumptive users.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back