Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elkhorn Mountains Montana

andymissoula

Hey,

I drew a 380-20 Elk Permit this year. I have talked with a few people that have hunted the area and I have scouted small portions of the district but otherwise I have a limited knowledge of this beautiful mountain range. If any of you have experience in the Elkhorns I would love to here about it. Please feel free to PM me with any helpful information.

Thanks and good luck

Congrats! I've heard there are some big elk in that area. I've never hunted the area but if it was me I'd be looking around in archery season when the elk seem to make more noise. Hopefully some guys on hear can give you some good info.

Definitely not a slam dunk for a 360 plus. I know guys who didn't fill their rifle tags in there. I think access is a major player in that unit.

A few hints to a first-time "poster".Good bulls can be found in unlikely places,don't overlook low land.Hunt during the week.Patience and fortitude will yield a good bull,....don't squander a highly coveted tag.Warm weather(look out for snakes down south):D

Thanks for the replies. My guess is I will not be passing up any bulls during archery season. I have never killed a bull with archery tackle and its a dream of mine so it will be difficult to let anything but a spike go by.

Thanks for the replies. My guess is I will not be passing up any bulls during archery season. I have never killed a bull with archery tackle and its a dream of mine so it will be difficult to let anything but a spike go by.

I think you missed the point of the advice given above.

Don't waste that tag on a fuggin raghorn. If you do, then you should never apply for a LE tag again. Leave the LE tags for guys that will actually put them to good use.

Average age of bulls killed in 380 is 7 years old. Lots big talkers about big bulls. But when the season is over, the average size of the bulls killed is in the 320's. Call the bio and confirm it, it's true. The last estimate of 320+ bulls in the unit is fewer than 25. Everyone treats it as the holy grail of elk tags. If you hold out for a 350+ bull, you might get lucky, but the numbers of giant bulls just aren't there anymore and you could be eating tag soup. As someone else mentioned, look low. Some of the best bulls are killed within earshot of the Interstate.

Heres the way I look at high quality tags...it gives you an opportunity to hunt areas with a lot of elk, high bull-to-cow ratios, etc.

All that equals having a fun hunt, with an outside chance at a truly nice animal. The nice thing about any good permit is the fact that you KNOW there are good animals to be had if you put in a solid effort and catch a break.

The couple good elk permits I've drawn my goal was to try for a mature animal. I found that after scouting and hunting my areas I got a feel for what the potential was and what I was willing to "settle" for. I would caution anyone to listen to what those without the tag in hand have to say about the unit you drew. Look for yourself and make a decision based on what your goals are and whats available to you. Also take into consideration how much effort, time, etc. you plan on spending on your hunt. Many people simply dont have 11 weeks to spend to find the best couple animals in the unit. If you have limited time, make realistic expectations of what you will be able to do with the time you do have.

I also think people tend to put way too much pressure on themselves with higher quality tags, maybe even expecting more than the area is capable of producing.

Dont forget to have fun, and make sure if you choose to shoot an animal its one you'll be happy with...be it a spike, raghorn, 300, 320, 350, etc. Theres only one person who has to be happy with the hunt and animal.

Last edited:
I think you missed the point of the advice given above.

Don't waste that tag on a fuggin raghorn. If you do, then you should never apply for a LE tag again. Leave the LE tags for guys that will actually put them to good use.

I've read posts like this on this site so many times now it makes me sick.

This guy was lucky enough to draw the tag. It's his tag he can hang it on any animal he damn well pleases. The man has not taken an elk with a bow, and this may be his chance. If he shoots a rag and is happy with it then props to him. When you draw the tag you can do whatever makes you happy with it. Bottom line it's his tag and his hunt, let him have his fun.

andy, I hope you have an incredible hunt and meet your goal of killing a bull with your bow. Don't listen to the internet heroes who will tell you that you wasted your tag if you don't come out of there with the next spyder bull. They just don't get it. :cool:

Heres the way I look at high quality tags...it gives you an opportunity to hunt areas with a lot of elk, high bull-to-cow ratios, etc.

All that equals having a fun hunt, with an outside chance at a truly nice animal. The nice thing about any good permit is the fact that you KNOW there are good animals to be had if you put in a solid effort and catch a break.

The couple good elk permits I've drawn my goal was to try for a mature animal. I found that after scouting and hunting my areas I got a feel for what the potential was and what I was willing to "settle" for. I would caution anyone to listen to what those without the tag in hand have to say about the unit you drew. Look for yourself and make a decision based on what your goals are and whats available to you. Also take into consideration how much effort, time, etc. you plan on spending on your hunt. Many people simply dont have 11 weeks to spend to find the best couple animals in the unit. If you have limited time, make realistic expectations of what you will be able to do with the time you do have.

I also think people tend to put way too much pressure on themselves with higher quality tags, maybe even expecting more than the area is capable of producing.

Dont forget to have fun, and make sure if you choose to shoot an animal its one you'll be happy with...be it a spike, raghorn, 300, 320, 350, etc. Theres only one person who has to be happy with the hunt and animal.

Dang it Buzz, you got your post in while I was writing mine. You said what I wanted to, but in a much more eloquent fashion.

I agree with buzz and mtlion! I like big horns as much as the next guy, but eating a tag sucks...and it dosen't fill the freezer! I've done quite a bit of backpacking in there and you stand a good chance of taking a bull with your bow. Hunt hard but have fun. Good luck and look forward to hearing how you do.

good luck on your tag Andy. I know a guy who had it last year. If you spend a little time in bow season you will have some rutting action that should be very exciting. Rifle season sounds tricky on that tag.

believe it or not there are people who dont fill their tags every year in the premium units. but when you talk to them most will tell you it was still the best hunt of their lives.

Just so I'm not misunderstood.I wasn't implying by"squandering" that you should hold out for a monster and that shooting a smaller bull was a waste.Merely, put your time into this hunt because it is unique and coveted.I would hunt both archery and rifle looking for a good bull.You CAN find a great bull(330+) if you hunt hard and savy.I see them every year, 'cuz I spend alot of time in there....hate when I am looking for a cow or spike and see nothing but 6 pts. No $hit.

Just so I'm not misunderstood.I wasn't implying by"squandering" that you should hold out for a monster and that shooting a smaller bull was a waste.Merely, put your time into this hunt because it is unique and coveted.I would hunt both archery and rifle looking for a good bull.You CAN find a great bull(330+) if you hunt hard and savy.I see them every year, 'cuz I spend alot of time in there....hate when I am looking for a cow or spike and see nothing but 6 pts. No $hit.

And there's the root of the problem with this unit. It is overrun with cow and spike hunters. If the state wanted a true limited entry experience they need to give the guys with the either sex tags at least 2 weeks of archery and rifle season without the interference hunters. Stagger the seasons for the cow and spike hunters a bit. Rifle season is the worst. Archery you can get away some but these elk get heavily pressured. Out of respect for the guys that draw the tag I make a personal choice not to hunt the unit for a spike or cow. Why should I be in there calling in bulls making it tougher for guys with the either sex tag? I know of way too many guys that hunt 380 every year so they can call in and video "Huge Bulls" and maybe shoot a cow or spike. They love calling in bulls even though they can't shoot them. That's just a jackass thing to do when you are in direct competition with people who have put in for years to draw the 380 tag. Not only are people educating the bulls, but I know of guys that had the tag and had people set up on elk they were working and try to call them off.

Nothing against you Hem, just pointing out what I see as the biggest obstacle in this unit.

Rat fink, Funny thing but last three seasons I didn't run into a single archer.During gun season I've had MORE opportunities on mature bulls than spikes,so i'm not convinced this area is screwed by cow and spike hunters.But then since I live in the unit i've got some things figured out,its basically elk hunting out the back door.I have more problem with the land owner tag issued for either sex.I have a neighbor with a living room full of 360+ bulls,he basically gets a tag every other year.THAT is wrong.

I live in 388, 2 miles from 380. My entire view to the South of my house is Casey Peak, Elkhorn Peak, Strawberry Butte etc. It is literally out my back door. Our experiences are very different. I have hunted all over the unit with 2 friends that have drawn the tag. We have always had interference hunters, even during archery season. And we don't hunt the usual spots that everyone talks about. Now this is strictly hunting public land. Hem ,don't you have a family ranch down around Radersburg?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back