PEAX Equipment

Wyoming 35-1 Elk

HighDesertSage

I'm thinking about burning my points on this tag for 2017. I can't believe the draw opens in only 2 months. If anyone has been on this hunt in the last few years I would love to pick your brain if you had a minute. Thanks for the help!

The Bighorns are a great area, haven't hunted it but someone will chime in.

Just out of curiosity, what makes 35 so attractive to you? I haven't hunted it, but if you're sitting at 7-8 points then you're only a year or two away from a 16-1 or 22-1 tag. I've been through both and know guys who hunted both, unfortunately I haven't drawn yet as a resident, but I know a lot of guys who have drawn those two areas and all come back with some really, really nice bulls. All report seeing a ton of animals, might be worth the wait! I personally put in for 16 every year but no dice so far.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'm actually only at 5 points. I drove through the Bighorns this past season after my antelope, and I realized I could pull this tag this coming year if I wanted to. I called the Game and Fish in Sheridan and they told me that it can be a tough hunt because alot of the elk move to private after the opener. SO I was just looking to see if someone else has had a similar experience.

went through the bighorns this year. was awesome there. plus no grizz but takes a lot of points from what I gather. still saving mine!

I was interested in this hunt as well. U can draw in special draw with 5 points or less I think. But the consensus is it's not worth that many? So from what I hear about the bighorn units is they all have similar success rates, good public access, comparable season dates, etc. Other than 45 getting all the press is it or another unit better than the other? Obviously I'm excluding the two General units in the bighorns. If someone wasn't wanting to hunt in Grizz territory these bighorn units seem like the best option for 3-6 point holders. Am I missing something?

I would much more willing to burn points on the west slope of the Bighorns as the access is much better, and the low country is primarily BLM, so herds cannot bail off onto private land.

He's a whole lot further away than 1-2 years, I have 10.

Have you put in for any of those areas? I just assumed he was at 7-8 and for 16 non-res it's almost a 60% draw for >9, 22 is a totally different story at >9 is still only 9%. Those are just under the preference point draw, not special or special random for non-res. But if your at 9 or more, you have a chance in either!

Last edited:
I would much more willing to burn points on the west slope of the Bighorns as the access is much better, and the low country is primarily BLM, so herds cannot bail off onto private land.

That's makes sense. I usually kinda figure out where I want to hunt in most states rather easily. But WY I just hadn't been able to really feel like I have a good grasp on the units no matter the research plus I've drawn other states and hunted CO a couple times so Im not totally against accumulating points in WY if I can keep hunting other places but I'm not a big fan of trying to just draw the primo tags in each state. I like to hunt too much for that

Have you put in for any of those areas? I just assumed he was at 7-8 and for 16 non-res it's almost a 60% draw for >9, 22 is a totally different story at >9 is still only 9%. Those are just under the preference point draw, not special or special random for non-res. But if your at 9 or more, you have a chance in either!

I'm at 10 going into 2017, which was 9 for the 2016 demand report.

regular price draw:

16-1 was 100% for 10 (max possible)
16-1 was 50% for <10
9 points was 0%
22-1 was 19.65% for 10 (max possible)

Special price

16-1 was 75% for 10
22-1 was 13.33 for 10

You have no chance at either except in the random side with 9 points going into 2017.

a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at 10 going into 2017, which was 9 for the 2016 demand report.

regular price draw:

16-1 was 100% for 10 (max possible)
16-1 was 50% for <10
9 points was 0%
22-1 was 19.65% for 10 (max possible)

Special price

16-1 was 75% for 10
22-1 was 13.33 for 10

You have no chance at either except in the random side with 9 points going into 2017.

View attachment 65435

Gotcha, never messed with the preference point stuff before except buying them for moose and big horn and just collecting, I've got a long way to go myself. Sounds like you're in the running this coming season, any idea what area you're going to cash in?

I have 8. I've found the only thing they're good for is kicking myself in the rear wishing I'd started 2 years earlier!!

I have also been looking at the Bighorns. For what its worth, here is my take on points - I collect points in CO and WY. I am not after the glory units, but the mid-level units where the points serve to reduce the number of other hunters and hopefully increase the elk I see. I look for units where I can also get a cow-calf tag while I am building points.
That point about hunting the west side is a good one.

Anyway, good luck.

I'm thinking about giving unit 40 a go now. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

I have not hunted it myself but harvest rates seem pretty good, right around 50% average.
For the number of points you have and from what I'm seeing in my research sources, I would look at 45 once you have 9 pts. 100% draw odds. 40 you should draw, 39 & 38 can be drawn about every 3-4 years consistently.

I'm in the same quandry you are...not enough points for an amazing unit, too many to burn on the units that are only marginally better than general unit.

Back