Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming 35-1 Elk

We hunted 40 2014 type 9. We got into elk, had a good time, but we for sure worked for it. Talking to locals its more of a migration unit.

I'm thinking about giving unit 40 a go now. Anyone have any experience with this unit?

I seriously looked at that unit for awhile. There are good bulls in there but you pretty much have to hunt it from the top down and there is some really steep stuff there. Of course, if you're willing to bust your ass, those areas probably don't have many hunters. There's some great looking country but you're dropping down 1,000-1,500 feet. Would be a brutal packout if you shot one.

We ran into a guy that said he was one of a couple guys who would pack out of that unit(40). I got his info, but after he said," I doubt you will get me as we are gathering cattle this time of the year". I lost intrest. Just an FYI if you draw 40. Plan on going in with camp on your back. No way, would I climb in and out everyday. It's brutal.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but with applications coming up I am getting a bit desperate for intel on this unit for a -1 hunt.

Me and my Dad are at 10pts and need to spend them this year as we become residents next year.

I have done a ton of research and 35 looks solid, but so does 40.

Just stuck in that same weird spot as a lot of these posters are of having a lot of points... But not enough for the really phenomenal units. Not looking for B&C or 300 pointers, just to get into decent bulls consistently.

So how has 35/40 been looking? Not asking for honey holes, I am fantastic at E scouting and getting into elks hidey holes with my boots. Just wondering if the units are worth 10pts and if not where would you spend 10?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back