Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Castle Mountains MT

JO-5

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum but have read a lot of the threads so far. This is my second year with a MT Elk/deer combo tag and the other guys in our group and I decided to try a new area this year. We're looking at trying the Castle Mountains near White Sulphur Springs this year. We're heading out there around Nov. 10 (maybe a few days earlier). Has anyone hunted this area or been there before? Any insight you guys have would be greatly appreciated!

hunted it a few times 6 or 7 years ago, access was rather limited on the south side if I remember correctly. sorry i can't be more help.

Tough time to hunt it. And access is not that great. Expect company in the places that are accessible. Good luck and have fun.

The people that I know who have success go deep and set up camp and stay for a few days.

enjoyed that hunt many years ago,
there are lots of elk-------they like the private property you cannot access----------the diligent hunter will get one-------get a map of block management lands-----I found the elk to travel alot----we saw elk while traveling to our desired hike most days--------If things have not changed too much this was a fun hunt.

oz

The Castles are my fall-back area for years when I don't pull an archery permit for the breaks. Go where others won't. I've found some very elky spots deep in there. A calf almost gave me a kiss on ear one time. Good luck!

Thanks guys! Glad to hear some positives on the area. I was thinking of checking out some small open medow like areas in the center. Hoping something will be hanging out around them. If you guys have any more info you'd like to share I'm all ears! Hoping to get my first Elk out there this year!

I just got back from there yesterday! We hunted Sun-Thurs morning and it was still fairly warm (Nov should be a better time to hunt). Like Mthuntinfool said, access to the south is limited and access to the North is walk-in or horseback only. We checked out the south one day and found most everyone on 4-wheelers. We hunted from the North and ran into a few folks with horses. We hiked around 30 miles over the total trip, but just couldn't get on the Elk. Hopefully by the time you guys hunt there is some snow to help you out. We are still nooby elk hunters and didn't tag anything but it was still an awesome time in the woods with some friends. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions!

I just got back from there yesterday! We hunted Sun-Thurs morning and it was still fairly warm (Nov should be a better time to hunt). Like Mthuntinfool said, access to the south is limited and access to the North is walk-in or horseback only. We checked out the south one day and found most everyone on 4-wheelers. We hunted from the North and ran into a few folks with horses. We hiked around 30 miles over the total trip, but just couldn't get on the Elk. Hopefully by the time you guys hunt there is some snow to help you out. We are still nooby elk hunters and didn't tag anything but it was still an awesome time in the woods with some friends. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions!

any elk sightings ? that makes the trip worth it atleast in my opinion, tagging one is just a bonus

Didn't see any elk 8andcounting. Don't know if we weren't in the right spots or if we just blew them out but we were in 3-6 miles deep every day and checked different ridges each day.

Where in the Castles can you get 6 miles deep? Too many ATV trails and roads based on my experience. It seems like the core habitat would be ~3 miles maximum from the nearest road.

Back