MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

22 acre lot near Bozeman

Wildabeest

With mixed emotions, I’ve decided to put my remaining MT property up for sale. I co-own it with my son who originally intended to build a home on it, but life and career have taken him back east and he wants to invest the capital in a rental property that produces some extra income.

The property has awesome west and north facing views. You can see the view of the Bridger Mountains below. It’s a short walk from the property to the trailhead of a section of state land with no public access except for property owners. From the top of the state land, there’s also incredible views to the east and south, with views of the Crazies, Absoroka and Beartooth mountains surrounding Paradise Valley.

Both the property and the state land are in Hunting Area 314 - a general unit for both deer and elk with tons of federal land at the southern end of the unit. There’s a resident elk herd that calves on the state land every spring, but they generally move out after the first big snow. We’ve gotten into elk during rifle season the past two years on the state land. Tons of deer, grouse and turkey; as well as some regular sightings and sign of moose, black bear and mountain lion. Only one grizzly sighting that I’m aware of in the 5 years we’ve owned it.

Property is in Gallatin county, near the Park County line and just south of I-90. Taxes are a measly $74/year as an unimproved property.

To keep with forum rules, I won’t post a link, but you can search “7 Clear Springs, Bozeman” or “MLS 388239” in your browser or favorite real estate app/site to pull up the listing. HOA keeps the roads cleared and maintained year round, and there are several folks who have built permanent full time homes up there. A rough driveway is cut and electric is run to the preferred build site.

PM me with any questions.

1701125401049.png

I’ll save you the commission and offer you $1000 a month for the next 60 years….? As long as the neighbors wouldn’t be offended with me building an ugly log shack and hunting the Norris Road.

Actually I might have to make it $500 a month for the next 120 years so I have some money left over for the cabin. Funds are tight as a local trying to compete in the real estate market.

Have you looked into a conservation easement?

Have you looked into a conservation easement?
Have not. It’s one of probably 100 or more ~20 acre lots that in the development, so I doubt it has much conservation value given the size of the parcel and fact that everything around it will or has been built on.

Here’s an OnX view of the property (circled in blue) in relation to the state land. It’s about 300 yds from the property line to where Clear Springs Rd dead ends at the boundary of the state land. Clear Springs is a private road, and the only road that abuts the state land.

The state land is a mix of thinned timber and some open meadows higher up. Incredible habitat and fairly easy to hunt since most of it has been minimally thinned. Elevation ranges from 6500-7200ft. There’s a couple of old logging roads in the north and west part of it, and then some well used game trails throughout. Numerous productive springs on it as well.

IMG_1452.jpeg

Being from Michigan I am not up on Bozeman. Maybe it’s the going rate. However, that price seems extraordinarily high. It makes me wonder how anyone of average means can afford to live or work there.
I don’t disagree. Comps on recent sales and current listings in the area put this price squarely in the market range. Yellowstone (the TV show) and Covid have really fueled an increase in prices there.

Being from Michigan I am not up on Bozeman. Maybe it’s the going rate. However, that price seems extraordinarily high. It makes me wonder how anyone of average means can afford to live or work there.
Ha! You should write for the Chronicle. In all honesty it's a ongoing situation the hip areas of the west are going to have to contend with for the foreseeable future.

As far as dreams of moving west someday (and buying any land) - I guess I fold.

Well, maybe a really small piece… I do have my tent and stove after all.

Good luck on the sale.
I guess after all there are long-term consequences of living on my .6 acres in a crap state and spending 13K year on taxes/water/trash. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

They can’t
@Big Fin I listened to your Elk Talk podcast today where you talked about saving for your dream hunting trips.

I couldn’t help but think of how land/housing for individuals now is so much different than when you came up. It would be interesting to see a wages, inflation, cost of housing comparison on the next podcast discussing it.

@Big Fin I listened to your Elk Talk podcast today where you talked about saving for your dream hunting trips.

I couldn’t help but think of how land/housing for individuals now is so much different than when you came up. It would be interesting to see a wages, inflation, cost of housing comparison on the next podcast discussing it.
Depressing.

Yep, this is a very nice section of land. I’ve been pretty fortunate in my life and have done well.

I will only be ever able to look at just the listings for properties like this. I need my Mega Millions #s to hit before I can go physically look at one.
Sorry to the op for helping derail this. The wife and I were just talking yesterday so which kid do you think will be the last to move out? She said who knows and compared prices and income to when we were in our late teens/early twenties. Ridiculous

Maybe someone from Cali or Texas will read this.
I live on the east coast unimproved land is going for 60k an acre around me with the closest public land access being a 45min drive. Market value is market value and it all relative..point being its a bigger market than Texas or Cali....Good Luck with the sale OP.

I live on the east coast unimproved land is going for 60k an acre around me with the closest public land access being a 45min drive. Market value is market value and it all relative..point being its a bigger market than Texas or Cali....Good Luck with the sale OP.
Point being you are missing the point.

Back