Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My Redneck European Adventure

Sounds like it may work out for a great hunt! Starting to get a bit excited now. It's going to be a looooooong week!

Wife wants to bring my small pair of bino's anyway. Not sure what we'll be looking at during the rest of our trip, but they pack well, and they come in handy now and then. I'll leave my good Nikon pair at home.

Pretty sure we're about set for preparations. Got our parking squared away for our car, and found a laundry next to the B&B we're staying at in Ireland when we get off the ferry. That will work out nice, only need enough clothes for about 6 days then wash things and we're good for the rest of our travels. Got our tickets and cards needed for about everything we plan on doing, and have a couple items on the list of want-to-do with enough time.

Hope the pound keeps dropping! Good for me, but not for your trip. Been looking at petrol prices, too. Hope the car does good on fuel!

Time for a shower, been busy getting dirty outside today. Back to work tomorrow...

Damn, i hope i haven't jinxed it!

I read on the other thread your wife's concern's, i'm sure she will enjoy herself, forget about the terrorist threat's, that is exactly what they want us to do, you have picked the best time to visit in relation to the exchange rate, and fuel is pretty cheap.

When you pop out to visit me on the first evening bring your wife and i will take you out on a little tour of the area, you won't believe how narrow some of our roads are, some were only designed to take a horse and cart and now we drive down them!

I will show you how to use my quad sticks, it's pretty likely that is how you will be shooting, but don't panic, you will be fine, they are rock steady, just need a little practice.

Your proposed move to Alaska sounds interesting!

BTW, my wife does like her beach holiday, but she loves the rocky mountains!
We are planning on 4 weeks to drive around the rockies next year, no idea what time of year, no idea of routes as yet, we decided against the route 66 option, mountains for us!

Cheers

Richard

Not worried about terror stuff. Beyond our control, and odds are in our favor of nothing happening. She gets this way before every trip. Then it's all good when we get there!

Route 66 comes pretty close to my place at this end of it. Pretty boring compared to the Rockies, though!

Better get to work before the boss hunts me down! Not getting paid to post on hunting sites!

As far as "hot and humid" weather goes, your weather will feel like air conditioning to us! I looked at the forecast for you next week and the highs are right around 70. I had THAT at 5AM leaving home for work! Looking at 90s most of the time here. Will be a nice change for sure! Will be packing a couple long sleeved shirts for those early mornings.

Hey there,
Just as a little side note, I use Tripadvisor all the time to look up places or attractions when I travel overseas. They have tons of reviews from people whom have just visited. Love that site. You can usually even look at towns and see if there are those places you want to avoid as a tourist. Looks like an awesome trip man! I never really thought about doing a UK Roe deer hunt, but now you have me thinking ... Can't wait to hear how it was and see a few pictures! Good luck and travel safe..

Well, inside a week to go and not a peep from BHA. Guess I'll hit their website in a couple of days when I get some spare time and get my end squared up with them.

The wife is going through what clothing she wants to pack. It's NOT a good time to ask "why?". Luckily, she's more than happy about doing some laundry part way through and not packing so much! Never try to tell a woman anything about packing for a trip! Myself, a handful of jeans, shirts, socks and underwear and I'm good. The only thing "extra" I need this time is my light hunting boots. Not going out in my cowboy boots and get them soaking wet from dew and rain or stained with blood. I need to wear them every day! Pretty sure I can just about get all my stuff in my carry-on. We'll see.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Sounds like Richard has a cracking good time planned for you.
Keep us in the loop when you get a time to post up some pictures. Have a great time.

Dave surely you get a luggage allowance of 23kg per person for the hold?
Don't worry about the donation to the BHA at this stage, i will make some more inquiries.
Lets hope you get some blood on your boots!
Rifle zeroed yesterday, it's spot on.
If we get lucky early we could try fox shooting one night.
Cheers
Richard

I DID IT!!!!!!!!! Stepped on the scale this morning and saw the magic number. 191.8! I've lost 21 pounds!

Pretty sure we have everything set to go. I've printed out everything that I think would be important to have handy. Bags are packed except for last minute toiletries tomorrow. I looked up our rental car for adding a GPS unit, looks like an extra 139 or so Pounds to add it? May be worth adding when we arrive at Heathrow. Not so sure about in-car WIFI. 110 Pounds for the trip. May be nice to have, though. Thoughts? Maybe it would come in handy for searching for prices on places to stay the nights I haven't booked in advance, plus messaging home, etc.

Richard, the fox shooting sounds fun, but every now and then the wife makes a comment about "leaving her alone at the hotel" while I go hunting. Hmm, mornings are one thing, and deer is the main target. I would have to say IF a Roe was taken then I would be satisfied and should probably try to make mama happy. She knows how I get when I go out hunting and say I'll only be gone for a little while! Being far from home will NOT help. We'll see how she is when we get there, and find out what there is for her to do while I am away.

I sent an email to the contact you sent me. Figure it's the weekend, so may be tomorrow before I hear back. No matter what, the BHA website has a donate page and I will get that done before we head out tomorrow as promised.

Can't really think of anything else to do to prepare. Really looking forward to this! Had a heck of a time falling asleep last night, too many things going through my head! Thanks to everyone for the good wishes, tips, comments, etc. Much appreciated, believe me.

Well done you!
I have only managed 13lb so far, but i have until October!

PM your flight details.

That Sat Nav sounds really expensive, and most hotels have free WiFi, you could buy a Sat Nav for a lot less than renting one, but that's up to you.

I understand where you are coming from with the wife, but if you can make it morning and evening it really will increase your chances.
You are still popping out to see me on the Tuesday evening i assume?
With your wife i assume?

Here is a little video i did at the highest point on one of my training walks.

BTW, heatwave this week....it might be high 80's!

Cheers

Richard

Hey Dave,
Did you ever figure out what steps were needed to transport your roe deer trophy back to the states if you are successful? Are you going to try to bring back a euro mount?

Richard,
That video looks like some beautiful country. Is the area always that windy or was it just that day? What is the average distance of the shots you are taking on a roebuck or do they vary greatly?

It was just pretty windy that day, but it is one of the highest points in Devon, which isn't actually that high!
Distance, the Roe is only a small deer, so small target, has to be around 150 yards really, but i have taken them further away.

If Dave gets one i will do my best to prep the trophy for him to take home, he said it only involves a little form filling, but i have no experience in this.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, yes I plan on hunting deer mornings and evenings. If I'm successful then I think I will be done. No need to take more than one. Fox, she would probably tell me no. Roe deer is the main purpose, and once one is taken then she will be happy and we can be "tourists". Would really be nice for the first morning to be the right day! If I could find something to keep her busy in the evening while we were hunting it would help, but being foreigners I'm not sure what I could do about that. Planning on visiting with you Tuesday for sure. Need to figure out the travel route as well as meet up with you in the daylight! Yes, she will be with me. Thanks for the info on the Sat Nav, think I'll muddle through without it!

Sawtooth, yes, I have the form and instructions for doing so. Planning on a Euro since it is quick and easy as well as cheap! Hopefully, I can get one, get it cleaned and finished in time, and pass through Customs without any problems back at home!

Got my driving directions written down from the airport to Stonehenge, from there to our hotel in Exeter, then to Richard's favorite(?) pub, and back. That should keep us busy for a few days!

Richard, you want a text or a phone call when we land at Heathrow? Lori has an unlimited text plan for the trip so they are free! Me, not so much...

Made my donation this morning. Wrapping up the last minute things before we head out. Storms, tornadoes, HEAT all around us. Will be nice to get away for a while. I'll try to update as much as I can. A lot depends on what time we roll in, what's new, and how willing the wife is on allowing me some extended laptop time ignoring her! Tally ho!

Order Information
Description: donation
Invoice Number nb_69ba3a914403209cc

Billing Information
DAVID NAUMANN
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
US
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx Shipping Information
Total: $250.00 (USD)

Payment Information
Date/Time: 18-Jul-2016 6:38:16 PDT
Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxx
Payment Method: Visa xxxxxxxx
Transaction Type: Purchase
Auth Code: xxxxxx

Merchant Contact Information
BACKCOUNTRY HUNTERS & ANGLERS
Missoula, MT 59807
US
[email protected]

Thanks so much Dave, a great cause that will benefit for your generosity.

You can text me but i am working and out of range until mid afternoon, teaching 2 guys how to fly fish.

BTW, up to you, but buying currency at Heathrow is a rip off, i suggest you buy it in Exeter main post office, you will get a better rate.

Cheers

Richard

Well, we made it here! Driving is a real treat! NOT. Found our way to Stonehenge (yep, there's some rocks standing up) and on to our first stop for the trip. After driving around a good while on one-way streets and such we found the hotel. Freshened up real quick and headed out to meet Richard and have some food, not necessarily in that order! Stopped at his house, met the Mrs. and checked out his shooting sticks. Time to hit the shower and get some sleep. We've been going for over 32 hours so far! He'll be picking me up at 4:30AM so sleep will be welcomed! I'll hope to have a grip and grin soon!

Had some luck! We saw 2 Roe deer this morning. A doe and fawn, safe for today. Was nice to see what I was after! The wife and I are headed out into town to explore, and Richard and I will try again this evening. He said Prince Charles was here yesterday!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back