Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My Redneck European Adventure

Scale this morning read 204.6! Yippee!
Nice one, even if you don't get a buck you will be a fit chap!

So, if i have this right, you will drive out to meet me on the evening of the 19th July.
Morning of the 20th, you will need to meet me at 04.30, stalk will last around 2 1/2 hours, after that you won't see any deer until the evening.
You return in the evening and we meet at 19.30, we will finish around 22.00, or until too dark to see.
21st will be a repeat of the 20th.

I have a farm in mind, but if that doesn't work a female farmer (yes i said female, 67 years old farming 350 acres) has said we can try her farm.

I will shoot a Roe Buck myself before then, but apart from that they will be left alone until your visit.

Cheers

Richard

Yep, that is the plan! Hopefully I can sleep for a while on our flight over. May be a bit tough getting out of bed in the morning! I think I can manage to keep my eyes open for a couple hours in the morning while we're out. I can sleep when I'm dead, right?

Looks like I managed to lose 11 pounds in 8 weeks so far. Not sure how things will continue. I would LIKE to lose at least another 10 or so. I'll keep trying!

OK, time for another question. How about some English driving etiquette tips? I had a guy at work tell me he was driving in England and went around a slower car by passing them in the right lane. I'm assuming it was on a major road? When he mentioned it to the folks he was meeting they said it was sort of frowned upon to do that. Really? How about some easy do's and don'ts for driving.

Still holding at a 10 pound loss. I'll have to change things up again. Of course, the wife made a batch of chocolate chip cookies a few days ago... Life is hard.

Last edited:
I had been leaning toward the Tower of London as a destination and it sounds like a good one to visit. We are also set to go into Buckingham Palace and the gardens one afternoon. The Tower in the morning sounds like it would pretty much round out the day. See that, walk around, have some lunch, walk around some more until our palace tour, then find a spot for dinner and whatever else before heading back to the hotel.
Dave, if you and your wife are in good shape to walk you might do what we did once; started out with the Tower tour, walked down to the Tower Bridge and had a light lunch, crossed the bridge and hung out in some shops and then sauntered upriver to the new London Bridge, crossed back over and then to St. Paul's Cathedral, did some window shopping and then hailed a taxi back to King's Cross station as we were tired of walking. Great experience though and you get to see the core of London from a distance across the river.

Tried ordering our visitor Oyster cards today. No luck. Kept getting an error. I'll try again some other time. At first I thought it was my credit card and the fraud protection, but I tried 3 different cards and all had the problem.

Richard,
I watched a few of those roe deer hunts on video and it looks like Dave is in for a good time. Are you or Dave planning to video his hunt as I am sure you would have an audience here on Hunt Talk?

Richard,
I watched a few of those roe deer hunts on video and it looks like Dave is in for a good time. Are you or Dave planning to video his hunt as I am sure you would have an audience here on Hunt Talk?
I have been thinking about that, weather permitting i might try, but i don't have the best equipment so it could be a bit limited, and i have no idea how to edit or have the software to do so, lets see what i can make happen.

Dave, i did a little scout this evening, i saw a Roe doe with her 2 young kids, and the backside of a Roe Buck jump into the woodland, at least i know where to find one!

Cheers

Richard

I'm not real concerned about a video. With limited time I'll be happy enough to get a chance at one. Too much to do without worrying about running a camera. I will take lots of pictures, though! I don't use a smartphone so I have to transfer them to my laptop first. The updates may have a slight delay due to that.

Good job spotting some! I need someone that knows what they are doing! Just over a month to go.

Can't wait to hear about your hunt, have a great time. Those little deer are something special in my books.

A month to go, that has come around so quickly.

I think i might have mentioned this before, but we have 66 million people in the UK and all the land is in private ownership. So safety is paramount when we go hunting.
I will advise you if the shot is safe, if there is any doubt, there is no doubt, the animal must walk.
We have to assume (and i have seen it!) that the public can be in places they shouldn't be.
It is all walking, no seats used.
A round will be chambered, but the rifle will be shouldered and barrel down, if you don't want to do that i have no problem at all, but the roe buck will probably hear a round being chambered, and it will be off running and barking into the nearest timber.

The good thing about roe stalking, if we disturb one, they will run off a short distance and stop to look back to see what frightened it, i have taken so many roe when they make this mistake i have lost count!

I might bring the camera.

Cheers

Richard

Finally under 200 pounds! Just shy of the 20 pound loss mark. I've eaten more carrots than Bugs Bunny! Still working on it.

Got our Oyster cards ordered. The screw-up was on their end when I sent an email saying I was having problems.

We've added a tour of the Waterford Crystal plant in Ireland to our wish list.

We fly out July 18th and get there the next morning. Wow, 4 weeks from tomorrow! I better get moving if I want to drop a few more pounds!

The weight thing has gotten to be personal now. Not real worried about getting around, I'm just in a battle with our scale! Thought I would set a goal and try to get there. Some days I win, some days the numbers get me.

Got your info, Richard. I'll get that stored away. I have been hearing all kinds of news about you folks leaving the EU and decided to look up our exchange rate again. Oh boy! Looks like something that costs 100 Pounds will cost me about 147 US Dollars! Yikes! Better watch out for those fancy B&Bs over there!

The exchange rate is great for you at the moment, god knows what might happen after the referendum.
Hopefully it will be like the above when i visit in October, $2 to the £1!

BTW, i am voting.....out!
It is going to be very close

Cheers

Richard

Back