PEAX Equipment

Zone 7 Montana ?

bj3315

My cousin and I have recently started to plan next years trip to MT. I'm in it a little more for the Whitetail while he would like to bring home a Mule Deer. Also we are bringing his 3 Brittany Spaniels to do a little bit of bird hunting on the trip. Our plan is to rent a camper back home and drive out. We would like to stay and hunt in zone 7 as both of us have been through the area before (not to hunt), and have seen plenty of wildlife. Anyone have any sugestions on where we might be able to fil our tags?

Much of the public land in Region 7 is devoid of birds...plan carefully

Thanks, how about Muleys and Whitetail, any recomendations on where to go?

Not trying to be a wise crack, but most any of the public lands will be a good area to start. Get the maps and look at any of the blue (State), green (Forest Service), and yellow (BLM).

Also order the Block Management booklet from Miles City. Millions of acres of private land listed in that book will be open to public hunting.

Good luck.

If you want whitetails, you're generally going to need a good-sized creek bottom with some agriculture near. Much of the public land in region 7 is arid, sage country with mule deer and antelope.

For whitetails you'll need a river bottom or creek for certain. You can find them in odd places out here during rifle but that is another thread entirely. There are plenty of mule deer out in the sage areas and in the river and creek bottoms as well. Be careful with the dogs while hunting the priarie. Depending on the time of the year there are rattlers, there is always catcus but most importantly there is very little water. Make certain to bring some water along for you and your dogs, it will make a big difference.

With BMA keep in mind that the areas fill up very and I do mean very fast. Some of the BMAs take reservations from the previous year even though they are not supposed to. I do know that some of them do it for a fact. If you know when you are going to come out call right after the booklets come out to make certain you get a reservation. With all the articles in print about this area we get more and more hunting pressure and areas that used to be easy to get on, now you can't get permission. Be prepared with a BLM or National Forest option as well. There is plenty of game on both but you will neded to get at least 1 mile away from the roads. Oh, one final thing, make sure to bring a GPS and compass. The prairie is a bit decpetive in that once it gets dark, especially with a little cloud cover, every thing looks the same.

Good luck!

BD, I'm dead serious. I was completely in the forest. Never set foot down in the low country. Maybe that's why I didn't bag a deer. :(

you might have been in the forest, but I'm not so sure about the "pheasants and grouse everywhere" part. pheasants don't exist in any great numbers outside of agriculture and they sure don't hang out in the pines. Grouse, maybe, but I've never seen a treed area that will out-produce a good grassland for sharpies. If they do, then you'll have to give me GPS coordinates so I can find out. ;) I've got three dogs who haven't seen much field time this fall.

Okay, to clarify, you're correct - no ditch parrots in the forest (just the grouse). My broad statement of "pheasants and grouse everywhere" was just that. A broad statement pertaining to the general area I was in. :D The pheasants were actually reasonably close to forested areas, but yes, they were in ditches/agri areas and not solely the trees. I could give you exact directions to where I saw the majority of the two different birds but I'd need some help in return for an elk or deer! :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back