Yukon Dream fulfilled, in pictures.

I’m waiting to see if you ate at TAGS in Watson and if you were as surprised by how good and how much food you got for want converts to about $9 USD. The best deal running for a bush town.

Now I looking for shooting positions. The bull has stopped behind some trees just across the river. Grant gives another love yodel and the bull crossed the river. "Shit sakes, he's gonna step on the Argos parked down below us."

I find a gap in the trees and use the yoke of my Mystery Ranch to steady myself. He stops. Marcus and Michael are on opposite sides behind me, both filming, each alternating claiming that the bull is visible/not visible from their respective positions.

At 204 yards the bull is mostly broadside and down below. Grant whispers to take him if I want him. From here, instinct takes over. Once I hit the bottom of my breathing cycle, I don't remember the trigger pull. I hear Michael, confirm that it was a direct blow.

The bull lurches forward a step and is now obscured. Grant asks me to keep shooting, in fear the bull walks over to the river to expire. I try to thread one through the limbs. A limb drops to the ground. "Damn it."

I stand up and move right. All I have is his neck and an off hand shot. Grant tells me to try it. I practice a lot off hand shots and I only do them as follow ups. As the crosshairs reach the small gap where his neck is visible, I shoot. With a loud crack, the bull is down. The guys are as jubilant as I am astonished.

We look down to the Argos. The bull is dead about 100 yards from where we parked.

As I walk up, I am as happy, excited, astounded, grateful, and thankful as I could ever be. Wish I had better words. The pics accomplish that more than my scribing.
DSC07407.jpg

YT Moose-7.jpg

The guys were equally as excited, happy, and grateful.
DSC09653.jpg

Those of you who have handled a big moose in the field know the good fortune to have one fall right where you can drive to.

Marcus Hockett Yukon-21.jpg

YT Moose-8.jpg

Thankful for an Argo, a great guide, a great crew, and the health to realize another one of my hunting dreams.
YT Moose-9.jpg

I've got to run to a meeting. I'll try to post some more images the guys worked so hard to capture. Hopefully words will come to me that better explain what this trip meant to me.

Randy, congrats to you, Marcus and the crew on a great adventure ! Outstanding pictures and a great write up. I would love to make it up there someday.

Last edited:
Those are some great bulls. Congrats!

There are few animals (maybe none) that I enjoy hunting more than caribou. I'm glad you got to check it off your list, I think everyone should get a chance.

Sadly the days of massive migrations, being selective, and/or killing multiple bulls on a single trip are all but gone. I really missed hunting caribou this year, but grateful for all the adventures I've had up to this point. You don't realize what you have until its gone...

Thank you for sharing! What an experience. Between a good landscape and a good hunting partner, you've got your priorities in the right place. Congratulations to have all of that and a couple of great bulls!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back