Youth/Wife/Gun Suggestions

Saw on the tube this weekend a "combination" set from Rossi that was interchangeable between .270, .17HMR, and .50cal muzzleload.

The whole package was around $300 and I think they said that the mloader could also be replace with a shotgun bbl.

Don't know about the quality though I've heard the name for years...

My son's first gun was a youth model of the Rossi Trifecta(22,243,20ga). Gun functions well and shoots straight but due to it's small size and light weight it kicks like a MULE!! He would much rather shoot my 30-06. He got that gun for his 10th birthday and now at 15 he is bigger than me :) He also has a 44mag Handi Rifle that he(we) use for deer back home in Indiana (if you use rifles they must be chambered in handgun rounds .357m and above, otherwise it is slugs or MLs). I will say that the Handi shoots well also and he has now taken 4 deer with it in 2 years:hump:

This time last year before i ventured over to Montana i would have said .243, but armed with a little more knowledge now i would go with the 30-06, such a huge range of bullet weights available.
I own a Sako .243 and a Browning XBOLT 30-06.
Cheers
Richard

Stay with the .270, you already load for it. My wife shoots a .270 with no difficulty. She shoots a .223 at the range more than her .270. She has nevered fired my .338 at the range and took an elk and an oryx with it and never noticed the recoil. I would never let her shoot the .338 at the range. Your wife and daughter are shooting well at the range with what you have, give them something to kill a deer and elk and that would be the .270.

i have decided on Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .243 for the kids. They are only hunting whitetail now, when they start elk, they will use my .270.

I think that savage makes the only true womens rifle on the market. It has a shortened length of pull but a much higher cheek piece. The theory is that women have longer necks than men and the higher cheek piece helps with scope alignment. It looks a little funky but if its comfortable to her then who cares. I also agree with others who like the 7mm 08. My son has used one for two years and has done great. I have used or reloaded reduced recoil ammo. Other than reloads I like hornady the best. They use a lighter bullet with accutips. I have tried remington but it was terrible. They put corlocks in them which dont expand at slower velocities. My son made a perfect shot on his first deer and it never blead a drop.

I am a big fan of the 7-08. Seen a lot of one shot kills with that caliber including elk and took a nice black bear with a 7-08 this spring. Very underrated caliber...

just to be different i now use a wildcat 6.5 out of a 204 case with 27 grains of powder at 2600fps with a 22 inch barrel,,the projectile that ive settled on is nosler 125 partition,,it does the job very well as it has a sectional density of 256 which is about the same or just a tab higher than a 165 gr in 308
ive shot bull thar which a lot of people seem to think are hard to put down but i find a well placed shot will do the job comfortably,,the last bull i did harvest was an angled shot which entered just forward of the hips and exited up by the shoulder,,now thats awesome penetration and he only walked 10 yrds and laid down and died on that spot
i am going wapiti hunting here in nz on the 1st of feb and that is the combination which will be accompanying me
just to clarify ive also shot a helluva lot of animals including red deer and thar with a 222

Get whatever caliber you want. Use a lead sled for practice sessions and the recoil doesn't matter. In the field, the recoil is not felt anyway for just one or two shots.

Savage 11 Lady Hunter in a 6.5 Creedmoor. Shoot Federal Premium Ammo. The design of the stocks makes all the difference in the world for women.

just to be different i now use a wildcat 6.5 out of a 204 case with 27 grains of powder at 2600fps with a 22 inch barrel,,the projectile that ive settled on is nosler 125 partition,,it does the job very well as it has a sectional density of 256 which is about the same or just a tab higher than a 165 gr in 308
ive shot bull thar which a lot of people seem to think are hard to put down but i find a well placed shot will do the job comfortably,,the last bull i did harvest was an angled shot which entered just forward of the hips and exited up by the shoulder,,now thats awesome penetration and he only walked 10 yrds and laid down and died on that spot
i am going wapiti hunting here in nz on the 1st of feb and that is the combination which will be accompanying me
just to clarify ive also shot a helluva lot of animals including red deer and thar with a 222
That sounds slick! They are considering allowing rifles for deer in Indiana next year with a .243 minimum. Your wildcat may be just the ticket for my boys! I'd probably stick with 100gr bullets, either ballistic tips or partitions. I'm guessing I could get them to about 2800fps with very little recoil.

Back