Your questions about Sportsman Channel - bring 'em here

Great that Sportsmans is going HD in July. Keeping pace with technology is expensive and time consuming. Sportsmans Cnannel along with LadySportsman show they are willing to give we hunters and outdoors people what we want and need. (Now if I can only get the Pig Man show after 1am, I have done my duty <grin>

I have a farm just outside of Mt Vernon, is that close enough? Unfortunately alot of Pheasant producing grassland has been plowed under in that area the last couple of years. Thank you for providing us with excellent programming!

Last edited:
Okay, back in the saddle at the office today. Tons of snow on the ground, but we are hosting a Root Beer party at work tomorrow in prep for the Packers big win!

6speed - there are some infomercials specific to the outdoors - like Henry Repeating Arms has one. But you are right in your statement. I'll forward this to the guys and let them know viewers' demands

Warmer - two bars in Plank? I only remember the one - the old Plank Inn, right next to the grocery store. That's where I learned to play pool - ah memories.

Dinkshooter - ummm....

Dhaffner - Thanks to corn prices, grain farmers are doing well and plowing everything under. Cattle and corn prices are high now - not a good mix. My family still farms, but it isn't the main source of income, now its beef.

I remember the pool hall clearly, we got kicked out of there. Then we went north a block and found another one. It was fun, what I remember of it!

So are there any other shows worth watching on the Sportsman Channel or should I just wait until OYOA starts airing this summer before I start paying for it?

I have Cox Communications here in Dodge and what a piece of crap. Very little to watch. I was in Kansas City over the weekend and my son had changed from Time Warner to Direct TV and there was Sportsman's Channel. What an enjoyable time. Hated to leave SC behind.

Seeing as this was brought up in another thread, does SC verify that their show hosts follow the local laws and regulations of the state/province where they are on the hunt?

Seeing as this was brought up in another thread, does SC verify that their show hosts follow the local laws and regulations of the state/province where they are on the hunt?

I like the idea, but from my limited experiences in game laws in states other than my own, I think that it would be very difficult for someone to oversee all shows for infractions. It's ultimately up to the production company to investigate the rules and regulations where they are shooting. I think that the best way to do this is to have an advance person contact the local authorities before shooting. Another big issue is firearm transportation rules in different states, especially New Jersey.

Hello! Someone emailed me asking for the production regs and I LOST the email. I am so very sorry. Could you please email me again at [email protected] Thank you!

npaden - Of course there's awesome programming on the network now! My favs include Easton Bowhunting (I like Fred & Michele Eichler), Pigman (b/c he's insane), The Crusade (SHE Outdoors people Pam Zaitz) and Ultimate Hunt (raising $$ to find a cure for cancer. Check them out and let me know!

nvlongbow - good question about showing from season 1 & 2. There might be contract issues b/c they aired on OC, like a waiting period, but that's a good question for Randy to bring them on during "off season."

m.r.byrd - Cox does carry us on their "Sports & Information Tier" in many markets. We are working on them!

Zach - Re: shows following local ordinances - we review every tape before it hits the air and if we question something, we'll follow up w the producer. But "wgiles" is right - we don't know all the laws in all areas. We had to look up rattlesnake shooting laws in Texas one time. Who knew?
Trust me, producers want to follow local laws - it makes a bad name for them when they don't, not to mention the fines. And our viewers call them out!! We've never had a problem in the 6 years I've been here (knock on wood) What producers may not do the best job at is EXPLAINING why or what they are doing. For example, there are instances when you don't have to wear blaze orange hunting certain game in certain states in certain places. Most people don't realize that and call the show out. The show should have done a better job explaining where they were hunting and why they weren't wearing orange. Or, just wear blaze orange all the time no matter what.

And re: Dancing w the Stars - Great idea!! Maybe we start a petition...http://onyourownadventures.com/huntt...d.php?t=245664

Watching Sportsmans channel lots now, see new graphics, production is improving at a huge pace,
programming is really coming along. However, Madam....I take issue with Pigman. Crazy yes, but
he is one who just grates with his narration and actions. Eichler and his crew and Randy and OYOA are bringing some class to the channel. Not to say there are not great shows, there are..the long shot people at gunwerks still put on a great show. I still don't believe in "contests" for hunting or fishing..
when you put quantity into the equation and private land it takes all the "hunting" out of it? Just one opinion.

Sorry to post twice..but I just got sickened by Oudoor Channel...they now offer a:
"CONCIERGE SERVICE" Helllloooo.....since when did you go over a ridge and some guy or gal in a
Tuxedo and a pinky ring offer you some liquid refreshment?
That's why Sportsmans Channel will prevail and pass up the OC. We got real men and women back woods people who don't need no damn "CONCIERGE"

Back