Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Youngest Sheep Grand Slam

All hunters, especially sheep hunters could use a good dose of humility. It's not that hard. If a fat guy with no sheep hunting experience, no "scouting" no training. And very little prep can shoot them year after year, it must not be that hard. That fat guy is me. Que the, your sheep hunt isn't as hard as mine guys...

Hunting for 30 days is more about wanting to draw it out to find the biggest you can find, that it being difficult. How many chances did you have to shoot a legal ram or a nice ram in that time? Would you do the same on a deer or elk hunt? Sheep are placed higher up because you want to savor the experience, many miss out on that, me included. I remember being pretty emotional after taking my first, and remember feeling little to nothing after one of my last. The shie wears off after a while. I have friends that only hunt sheep off the highway in walk in areas. They will shoot the first legal ram they see. Then pretend a 6yo squeeker is somehow a finer trophy than a 12yo ram shot in a flyout trip after passing 3-4 legal rams. Because they "earned" it, even though didn't walk any farther that me Who is more righteous?

It's a sheep and wasn't anymore or less difficult. A big ass mule deer or bull elk on public land is 5x more challenging, IMO. You're not passing one up or looking over dozens of them before you decide if it's the right one or not.

Like I said sheep hunters can all use a good dose of humility.

Not really trying to insert myself into this debate too much, because I think I said my piece sometime in mid-2022, but.......

I'm kind of wondering what hunting trips RJ has been taken on by his parents in his day to go so hard defending this article. Tell me if I'm way off base here, RJ.
My grandpa took me on an elk trip once back in 2016. It was a guided trip, we put on 12-15 miles a day on foot and never killed an elk. I know 3 people personally who have grand slams and have hunted the world. All great people who have a deep love and appreciation for hunting.

Go back to my original comment. I was warned that buzz is a dick and will argue about nothing for ages on end. Makes sense why he has almost 15k posts.

Buzz- I've said it 2 or 3 times to this point but you just wants to keep arguing about nothing. I know there's a difference in a 30 day diy sheep hunt and a guided one. I have never said there isn't. You're pushing an agenda about how horrible people are for short cutting the "process" when you haven't accepted the real process. Money can get you hunts that aren't available to everyone. It's been this way for decades.

If you don't like it, then move to Canada and outlaw guided sheep hunts. I'm not sure why you have to try and derail this. The 13 year old got a grand slam and it's impressive. I'm not sure why you feel the need to project your opinions forcefully on anyone who disagrees.

You don't like guided hunts. Okay that's your deal. It doesn't mean anyone who goes on a guided hunt is lesser than you.

All hunters, especially sheep hunters could use a good dose of humility. It's not that hard. If a fat guy with no sheep hunting experience, no "scouting" no training. And very little prep can shoot them year after year, it must not be that hard. That fat guy is me. Que the, your sheep hunt isn't as hard as mine guys...

Hunting for 30 days is more about wanting to draw it out to find the biggest you can find, that it being difficult. How many chances did you have to shoot a legal ram or a nice ram in that time? Would you do the same on a deer or elk hunt? Sheep are placed higher up because you want to savor the experience, many miss out on that, me included. I remember being pretty emotional after taking my first, and remember feeling little to nothing after one of my last. The shie wears off after a while. I have friends that only hunt sheep off the highway in walk in areas. They will shoot the first legal ram they see. Then pretend a 6yo squeeker is somehow a finer trophy than a 12yo ram shot in a flyout trip after passing 3-4 legal rams. Because they "earned" it, even though didn't walk any farther that me Who is more righteous?

It's a sheep and wasn't anymore or less difficult. A big ass mule deer or bull elk on public land is 5x more challenging, IMO. You're not passing one up or looking over dozens of them before you decide if it's the right one or not.

See the location you live makes all the difference too. As an Alaska resident, you can go hunt sheep yearly. As a non resident, I have to pay someone to be my guide. I've heard a Dall sheep hunt is one of the easiest ones. They're typically not hard to spot. But being as i would have to pay a guide does that make me a lesser hunter? Or how about it just sucks because I'll never have the opportunity a resident would have up there without having serious $$$.

On that note, I'm trying to convince my second cousin to become a licensed guide up there so she can "guide me" on a Dall sheep hunt!

See the location you live makes all the difference too. As an Alaska resident, you can go hunt sheep yearly. As a non resident, I have to pay someone to be my guide. I've heard a Dall sheep hunt is one of the easiest ones. They're typically not hard to spot. But being as i would have to pay a guide does that make me a lesser hunter? Or how about it just sucks because I'll never have the opportunity a resident would have up there without having serious $$$.

On that note, I'm trying to convince my second cousin to become a licensed guide up there so she can "guide me" on a Dall sheep hunt!
Easy as in a guided hunt where the rams are pre spotted in areas well known by the guide and you show up to pull the trigger, then talk about how challenging it was. You missed the whole hunt part, it was done for you. Or are we talking 90% success rates on brown sheep on DIY hunts in the L48 compared to 20-25% for DIY guys for Dalls? I've seen lots of whole bighorn sheep in the back of pickups or on ATVs. ;)

Keynote opening monologue for next year's sheep show?

Easy as in a guided hunt where the rams are pre spotted in areas well known by the guide? Or are we talking 90% success rates on brown sheep on DIY hunts in the L48 compared to 20-25% for DIY guys for Dalls? I've seen lots of whole bighorn sheep in the back of pickups or on ATVs. ;)
The people I was talking to about it have only done it a couple of times. But basically just throw a dart at a map in the brooks range and get dropped off by a super cub then start hunting! Or I guess hike in for 3 days if you want it to be a real hunt...

You rarely if ever see whole dall sheep in a vehicle or atv!

Edit: maybe I interchanged easy with simple

The people I was talking to about it have only done it a couple of times. But basically just throw a dart at a map in the brooks range and get dropped off by a super cub then start hunting! Or I guess hike in for 3 days if you want it to be a real hunt...

HT regulars at this whole exchange...

They didn't throw a dart. There was certainly research involved, when that much time and effort is involved. If they owned the plane I would 100% put money they spotted rams from the air, and took the hunt right out of it. If flown in by an Air Taxi, it was to a known good area, plenty of information out there on harvest and herds in AK. By and large a Brooks hunt is an area that sees little to no hunting pressure, and always has high success rates. Same goes for drawing a sheep tag in MT, for example. Usually get to look over a couple dozen or more before you pull the trigger. I couldn't imagine sifting through big old legal rams to shoot the best one. I've passed up number of young legal rams, but don't scrutinize over them if they look big they are. I don't look at sqeekers very often even though they may be legal.

I have a few friends in NV that told stories of looking at 40-60 rams one saw over 70 before shooting the one they got. I would bet that 50% of sheep hunters I talk with tell me the B&C score of their ram in the first 3 min of conversation.

My last sheep hunt we saw maybe 10-12 rams in 10 days, one was over 8. We can go tit for tat all day long but a dall hunt isn't any more or less easy than any other sheep. I've tagged along on a couple hunts and hunted the UL sheep in the L48. None are as hard as we all want to make them. I have zero desire to hunt bighorns for many reasons. Mostly because how so many want to shoot one and it's their only chance without paying big money. I've had my turn let someone else have a chance even if it's a tiny increase in their draw chances.

The wealthy sheephunter foundation W$F is mostly all show, and it's unfortunate that there are so many good guys in it that toe the line for the the auction tag BS. One day when I get time I'm going to pull stats on "putting and keeping sheep on the mountain" compared to the circle jerk auction tags. MT has almost half as many sheep now as they did 30 years ago. Seems like the business model is t working so well.

Grandslams are the lamest accolade of hunting. There are virtually zero achieved without a guide. And who really cares beside the hunter? BFD. The W$F belt buckle awards are easily the dumbest award on the planet I couldn't imagine wearing one around, or even displaying it. I think I saw the largest stone taken last year was 158", dude had the buckle to prove it. Hahaha

We sometimes brag about how the revenue from the auction tags keeps going up and up. The humble among us would recognize that it's a sign of a dwindling resource.
But but but all that money it’s putting and keeping sheep on the mountain

Take your own advice and don't try to pass off swatting elk on private property in wheat stubble as an indicator of how good the elk hunting is in Montana.

Which is exactly what you did.

It also trivializes the many problems elk and elk hunting are experiencing on public land. Night and day difference.

There's more to it than killing for some, for others it doesn't matter as long as they "get their elk"...to hell with everyone else.
I posted about my success this fall while hunting elk and you jumped in to blast me about where I hunt. You didn’t acknowledge the fact that both mine and my son’s bulls were archery killed on public land where there is still plenty of access and pressure.

Because I got elk and helped others do so on a ranch that allows hunting from the opening day through the end of shoulder season, you have to criticize that and brag on who and how you do the same thing. Still, this ranch can be considered public access due to the open access to the public throughout the whole season.

You are a loudmouth that few people will take you to take task for your brashness. I don’t care how you evaluate me or anyone else because of your standards and many feel the same.

I will continue to hunt as I see fit and have no regard for you and your constant attacks to me or anyone else that doesn’t “get it”.

My grandpa took me on an elk trip once back in 2016. It was a guided trip, we put on 12-15 miles a day on foot and never killed an elk. I know 3 people personally who have grand slams and have hunted the world. All great people who have a deep love and appreciation for hunting.

Go back to my original comment. I was warned that buzz is a dick and will argue about nothing for ages on end. Makes sense why he has almost 15k posts.

Buzz- I've said it 2 or 3 times to this point but you just wants to keep arguing about nothing. I know there's a difference in a 30 day diy sheep hunt and a guided one. I have never said there isn't. You're pushing an agenda about how horrible people are for short cutting the "process" when you haven't accepted the real process. Money can get you hunts that aren't available to everyone. It's been this way for decades.

If you don't like it, then move to Canada and outlaw guided sheep hunts. I'm not sure why you have to try and derail this. The 13 year old got a grand slam and it's impressive. I'm not sure why you feel the need to project your opinions forcefully on anyone who disagrees.

You don't like guided hunts. Okay that's your deal. It doesn't mean anyone who goes on a guided hunt is lesser than you.
I don't find it impressive at all...because I know what it takes, while you chose to say that "3. 75% of you probably couldn't deal with the physical nature of a sheep hunt.", that's simply not true. Its even less true when a person can fly a helicopter to the top and make it even less physical, less of time commitment, and just flat easier all the way around.

Making things easier, typically doesn't make them more impressive.

You insult "75%" of the hunters on this board, who given the same resources, would make killing 4 sheep look like a day at the beach.

I posted about my success this fall while hunting elk and you jumped in to blast me about where I hunt. You didn’t acknowledge the fact that both mine and my son’s bulls were archery killed on public land where there is still plenty of access and pressure.

Because I got elk and helped others do so on a ranch that allows hunting from the opening day through the end of shoulder season, you have to criticize that and brag on who and how you do the same thing. Still, this ranch can be considered public access due to the open access to the public throughout the whole season.

You are a loudmouth that few people will take you to take task for your brashness. I don’t care how you evaluate me or anyone else because of your standards and many feel the same.

I will continue to hunt as I see fit and have no regard for you and your constant attacks to me or anyone else that doesn’t “get it”.
I think you should, just don't make the comments that elk hunting and elk in Montana are doing great statewide, because they aren't.

Like I said, go hunt West of Missoula to the Idaho line on public land and tell me elk hunting is just great.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back