Caribou Gear Tarp

Young Hunter What to expect at hunting expo in Salt Lake

JWhunter

Hi all, I've been on here for a while now, I grew up with my dad who was an opportunist type of hunter, wasn't very picky. So I have just been getting into holding out for mature animals only and I'm looking at going to the Expo this year. I am just curious as what to expect? Such as with guys like Randy Newberg, the Hushin Crew, etc. are you able to have some actual conversations as ask for some types on improving your craft at the expo? Or Maybe buy em some beers after and talking? I mean I just have no idea, hopefully none of it sounds too stupid haha.

Most of the vendors are friendly and will take time to talk. It is pretty easy to weed out the blowhards. Just remember that a lot of the vendors there will be guides looking for new clients.

Hi all, I've been on here for a while now, I grew up with my dad who was an opportunist type of hunter, wasn't very picky. So I have just been getting into holding out for mature animals only and I'm looking at going to the Expo this year. I am just curious as what to expect? Such as with guys like Randy Newberg, the Hushin Crew, etc. are you able to have some actual conversations as ask for some types on improving your craft at the expo? Or Maybe buy em some beers after and talking? I mean I just have no idea, hopefully none of it sounds too stupid haha.

I know the Hushin guys are always there. They usually have a booth. And they are very approachable.

Me, well that's a different story. I'm persona non grata at that event.

Me, well that's a different story. I'm persona non grata at that event.

LOL

Expect to see sparkles too.

jean-bling-2.jpg

Your chances of drawing any of the premium tags are worse than the standard Utah draw. The place is super busy so getting time to talk to the people there is a challenge. The Hushin guys, mtn ops guys, zacgriffith, the usual Utah people are all there selling stuff. Make no mistake about the expo, it is a giant sales pitch for everything Utah. Better events to attend if you want to talk hunting with people who are not trying to sell you things. Remember most of the major multi-level marketing schemes (pyramid schemes) originate in Utah. No state commercializes their wildlife and hunting like Utah, and you will have to look long and hard for a place where you are subject to less sales pitches/scams at a major public event.

Were it me, I would attend one of the Keep It Public events, or a Back Country Hunters/Anglers event, if you want to meet and have meaningful dialog with dedicated hunters. Your time and money will be better spent.

Your chances of drawing any of the premium tags are worse than the standard Utah draw. The place is super busy so getting time to talk to the people there is a challenge. The Hushin guys, mtn ops guys, zacgriffith, the usual Utah people are all there selling stuff. Make no mistake about the expo, it is a giant sales pitch for everything Utah. Better events to attend if you want to talk hunting with people who are not trying to sell you things. Remember most of the major multi-level marketing schemes (pyramid schemes) originate in Utah. No state commercializes their wildlife and hunting like Utah, and you will have to look long and hard for a place where you are subject to less sales pitches/scams at a major public event.

Were it me, I would attend one of the Keep It Public events, or a Back Country Hunters/Anglers event, if you want to meet and have meaningful dialog with dedicated hunters. Your time and money will be better spent.

This..... Plus you would not be supporting Utah's and SFW's corrupt way of making wildlife into a pay to play auction scheme.

Thank you, would you happen to have a place I can get more information these events.

As a former Utah resident, that has attended that stupid expo too many times, I have to echo the three statements above. Unless I have a particular need to go (i.e. look at rifles, certain piece of gear...) I stay home. You can also expect the good ol' boys from Mossback to take up an entire end with all their BS.

I'll add my .02 about the Backcountry Rendezvous being a great event to meet serious hunters and have meaningful conversations. I haven't been to the Expo but the past two Rendys were great.

Thank you all for the input. It really means a lot to me, I hope I can help keep the traditions alive and help make sure the future generations have these great opportunities.

I am thinking about trying to start a mentoring program after I graduate, to take young kids who don't have the opportunities to hunt, whether its not having a parent to take them out or any other reason. Where I can take them on a general season hunt and they have a decent chance at harvesting? What would you say to this?

Antelope hunts are a good way to get people started. See lots of game, fun hunting. After that I would say some of the whitetail hunting in places like Idaho and Montana can provide a fun experience and allow people to cut their teeth hunting deer which are more elusive than antelope. General season elk in Wyoming and Montana can also be good, but if you are just starting out and don't know where to go, those elk hunts can be a frustrating grind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360inthe406
Back