Yep, tresspass fees!

the nikster

I'm getting curiouser and curiouser.
Another thread got me wondering so I searched the site and found the old threads concerning tresspass fees. I read them all. Honestly i agree with just about everything BOTH sides had to say. Valid points abound. Some hot air too.

Made me wonder. Where do the folks on this site sit on the issue?
Some may have financial reasons for not commenting and I respect that so I'll not call out anyone specifically, but, If you (anyone) would care to respond, I'd love to listen.

I spent my early years learning an area of Idaho intimately. I know where the elk in this area spend their days. I've not drawn a permit there in many years so I've moved elsewhere. One of the places is Eastern Montana to a 70,000 acre ranch I found 4 years ago through a friend. He has whitetail, mulie, elk and pronghorns on the property. 3 years ago he charged $200 a day (i think) for food-big ranchstyle breakfast and steaks for dinner-lodging in his ranch house and access to his property. I paid the fee and had a stellar time. I've not seen so many deer and antelope in a long time. I saw lots of animals on public land as well. I did not feel like I was taken because I was happy with the service provided for the cash paid.
My area in Idaho has now gone to draw only except for cow elk and I am still attracted to horns. Being a successful hunter GENERLLY requires time and effort to find, access, hunt and harvest a quality animal. I have used my good fortune to shorten the curve a little and I make no apologies for it. That said, I am frightened that the rich hunters(ME?) are pricing out the common man.

Opinions please- I prefer a mature exchange to a bunch of namecalling.
Thanks

America was built for the sole purpose of providing opportunity for the wealthy.

We have been blessed with people like Pres. George W. Bush who have enabled the top 2% of the wager earners to enjoy more benefits than the rest via his tax policy, therefore, you have to spend your Bush Tax Credits on things like Trespass Fees to allow it trickle down to the little people.

Why work hard if you can't have things the poor people don't get?

I have no specific problem with ranchers charging access fees, it's their property, they pay the taxes and yet lose the income on that property due to losing feed to wildlife. So if they make some of it up through access fees and guys will pay it, well then so be it. Now, if the rancher charges access fees and does not let anyone hunt his property for free and thinks he is entitled to crop damage payments due to wildlife damage, thats where I call an emphatic BS.

Because of you and paying access fees is the Average Joe getting priced out of hunting, NO, the Average Joe is priced out of that ranch and out of lot's of other things. Yes the common Joe maybe could have hunted that ranch for free at one time, but he also could have bought a brand new pickup for $4,000 and working in the woods or a lumber mill used to be one of the better jobs around as well. Times have changed. Personally I've never paid an access fee, not sure if I would or not, never been faced with that decision. But I don't feel that the average Joe is getting priced out of hunting. JMHO.

how quickly one turns this into a political jab fest...

Regarding Trespass fees - I have never really, "paid" to hunt someones property... In a sense I have, I suppose. I did some horse work and other odds and ends in a "barter" to hunt his land.
I felt good about it at the time... In a sense working with what is presently available to gain access to areas I felt advanced my chance for an elk.
I also have been pretty darn naive towards the whole landowner/public elk/outfitter/land leasing and still am - though this site has certainly been much more education than my offer of educating.

Haha! I really value such discussion (less the occasional keyboard chest thumping - mightier than thou kooks). Sometimes I think a couple of the understood gurus of hunting raise their soap box with sarcasm towards others with less experience... in a sense - it is only harming themselves as it can create opposition towards issues they need more people supporting... Some are only as smart as their ego permits...

as for JC's comment on politics - meh, not worth the time nor worth derailing the topic.

Last edited:
I don't mind paying trespass fees or the exorbitant NR license fee...I realize residents and landowners need their tags and private property expenses subsidized by hard working tax paying water carriers like myself and fellow Texans.

Trespass Fees

This is my first post on this site so let me start by saying that
I am from Kentucky and have very little experience hunting out west. The hunts that I have been on have been guided, but I hope to gain enough exprience on these hunts to be able to do it on my own some day soon. I would gladly pay a trespass fee to a landowner for access to hunting land. I have a very limited amount of time to pursue my hunting passions so I would not mind trying to optimize my opportunities. If I lived out west in CO or UT or NM I would possibly focus more on public land for hunting because I would have much more time to scout and learn the lay of the land. I lease a farm for deer hunting in Iowa and the landowner is thrilled to have the income. I also own a farm here in KY that I bought just for hunting because I love to hunt. I may ruffle some feathers here but there seems to be way to much of the "Us VS Them" mentality in hunting. I am fortunate to be able to afford to go on quality guided hunts and to buy land to hunt on. Many people who hunt are not able to do this, but they should not be critical of those that can. Nobody gave it to me. I had to earn it and that is the American way. As for JC's comments I am one of those top 2% and I pay more than my fair share of taxes every year. If the tables were turned I am confident that JC would feel differently. In fact the top 5% of the wage earners pay the vast majority of the taxes in this counrty and with the alternative minimum tax there are no loopholes. The more money that I keep in my pocket the more I have to invest in new start up companies and that is what creates jobs. Sorry for all of the politics but enough is enough.

Landowners can do what they want for hunting access - it is their right. Trespass fees suck, but I've paid for access to antelope hunt a few times, but not in the last 10 years. I really don't like hunting private land as it usually involves some ass-kissing, at a minimum.

I am fortunate to be able to afford to go on quality guided hunts and to buy land to hunt on. Many people who hunt are not able to do this, but they should not be critical of those that can. Nobody gave it to me. I had to earn it and that is the American way. As for JC's comments I am one of those top 2% and I pay more than my fair share of taxes every year. If the tables were turned I am confident that JC would feel differently. In fact the top 5% of the wage earners pay the vast majority of the taxes in this counrty and with the alternative minimum tax there are no loopholes. The more money that I keep in my pocket the more I have to invest in new start up companies and that is what creates jobs. Sorry for all of the politics but enough is enough.

You are right, buying your own ranches to hunt on would be sweet! But guided hunting on a fancy private spread, as fun as it might be, is like buying a hooker, and a trespass fee is like paying a $100 cover charge into a nightclub full of hot easy babes. Some guys dig that!

Last edited:
Trespass Fees

I am from Kentucky and have very little experience hunting out west. The hunts that I have been on have been guided, but I hope to gain enough exprience on these hunts to be able to do it on my own some day soon. I would gladly pay a trespass fee to a landowner for access to hunting land. I have a very limited amount of time to pursue my hunting passions so I would not mind trying to optimize my opportunities. If I lived out west in CO or UT or NM I would possibly focus more on public land for hunting because I would have much more time to scout and learn the lay of the land. I lease a farm for deer hunting in Iowa and the landowner is thrilled to have the income. I also own a farm here in KY that I bought just for hunting because I love to hunt. I may ruffle some feathers here but there seems to be way to much of the "Us VS Them" mentality in hunting. I am fortunate to be able to afford to go on quality guided hunts and to buy land to hunt on. Many people who hunt are not able to do this, but they should not be critical of those that can. Nobody gave it to me. I had to earn it and that is the American way. As for JC's comments I am one of those top 2% and I pay more than my fair share of taxes every year. If the tables were turned I am confident that JC would feel differently. In fact the top 5% of the wage earners pay the vast majority of the taxes in this counrty and with the alternative minimum tax there are no loopholes. The more money that I keep in my pocket the more I have to invest in new start up companies and that is what creates jobs. Sorry for all of the politics but enough is enough.

I have never paid and hopefully never will have too. $200 a day for lodging, breakfest and nice dinner sounds more like a bed and breakfest with the option of hunting the land if you wish. :)

If no one paid the tresspass fee it would just go away...so in a way the people paying this are getting us "regular" folks not willing to pay excluded, but that is how it goes. I will continue hunt public land and knock on doors.

From my experience, if hunting public land, especially "back in the day" before the internet, GPS, etc., I needed to hunt the same place 2-3 years to get to know how and where to hunt, and still you could have a hunt influenced by other hunters in the area. To make it short, I just didn't have the time or money to take extra days or trips for scouting.

Last year I hunted antelope for a $100 trespass fee and took my first buck. I had access to private land, and someone to show me around. Heck even another guy hunting there helped me out. All expenses considered, the 100 bucks was a bargain. This year, I am going back for a deer hunt with a $700 trespass fee to hopefully take my first Mulie. I don't want to be guided, and dont need meals cooked for me and think a reasonable trespass fee is good option. Just don't ask me to define "reasonable".

You are right, buying your own ranches to hunt on would be sweet! But guided hunting on a fancy private spread, as fun as it might be, is like buying a hooker, and a trespass fee is like paying a $100 cover charge into a nightclub full of hot easy babes. Some guys dig that!

What are you talking about, there's no $100 cover at the Spearmint Rhino......LOL

It's the landowners right to do what they want with their property. If they can find people to pay them for access to hunt, more power to them. Ranching and farming are not easy lines of work and don't always pay well.

I like to shoot trophy animals like everyone else and work hard to make that happen every fall. If it doesn't, I am just as happy with a mature, representative animal. With that said, I can afford to pay trespass fees, but honestly have never found a reason to pay them. There are so damn many opportunities for great hunts on public land or land accessible to any hunter it's mind boggling. Ya it's going to involve time, research and a lot of hard work, but I am stubborn and a little slow so I enjoy that aspect of it as much as the hunt itself. Anyone who knows me well would laugh and agree.

If paying trespass fees floats your boat, go for it. It doesn't bother me at all. Just don't give me the excuse it's the only way to have a legitimate chance at taking trophy animals. Again, there are endless opportunities out there you just have look!

So far I have enjoyed the responses I've got.
Well thought out and expressed. I know it's not for everyone. I simply was wondering what others opinions were and most of you have met the challenge admirably.
Without one to stir the pot, sometimes the soup is ruined-thanks JC!

I also have in a way paid a trespass fee. I've worked for access. But for me I worked for the rancher to gain his trust to allow me unlimited access. He also takes money for access. About $150 a day. He used to allow anyone to hunt and camp on his property, but a few years ago some careless jerk didn't put his fire all the way out and burned about 50 acres of wheat/forest. He quit letting people on until someone offered him money as a guarantee that nothing would happen like that(from him anyway). So now he charges for access, but he hasn't had any problems like he did before. Also if you think about it we all pay for access to public land through our tax dollars in a round about way. Just my $.02 worth.

I havent ever paid a trespass fee to hunt.

I think its risky when you pay a landowner for access and assume you'll have access forever. What happens when the guy increases the fee...or leases to an outfitter?

You're back to square one.

Thats why I've made the time and money investment to learn public land areas. I'm not at the mercy of some fickle landowner deciding to lease to an outfitter, to increase the trespass fee, not let me lease it anymore for whatever reason. All of which are legitimate reasons to kick me off...their land and they can do with it what they want, I totally respect their property rights.

When that happens, you're done and looking for a new area, and that sucks. I lost a great place to hunt elk and deer on private many years ago (1985). No fault of mine, the guy needed money and leased it to an outfitter. No fault of his either...he really did need the money.

But, it still didnt change the fact I was out my spot. I swore then I was going to find reliable spots I could freely scout and hunt on public land. Been doing that ever since.

With the exception of one ranch in MT I've only hunted private on Block Management or AccessYes areas. I will admit, the one private ranch my wife and I hunted in MT was SWEET, but we didnt pay a penny to hunt there.

For some species and locale combinations I see no need, but for others I would pay a fee as long as its reasonable. Often times the going rate and what I consider reasonable aren't in the same ballpark, therefore I don't pay. I personally don't have a 'moral' problem with the landowners charging them, nor folks paying them.

I am from Kentucky and have very little experience hunting out west.
There are Elk in Kentucky, you are just being modest, you have plenty of "cred" here....

I lease a farm for deer hunting in Iowa and the landowner is thrilled to have the income.
Hopefully that landowner in Iowa continues to show you the appropriate respect that you deserve for blessing him with your lease payments. Where would he be without you???

I also own a farm here in KY that I bought just for hunting because I love to hunt.
Hopefully Tobacco production wasn't impacted on that farm and you are still able to allow somebody to farm it in a manner that provides quality tobacco products AND hunting for you.

I may ruffle some feathers here but there seems to be way to much of the "Us VS Them" mentality in hunting. I am fortunate to be able to afford to go on quality guided hunts and to buy land to hunt on.
I agree, all this "Us VS Them" is divisive. If we can get "Them" to quit hunting, there will be more and better hunting for "Us". There is nothing worse than seeing poor people hunting where I want to hunt. Just like you, I get tired of having to be around poor people, and, as we both know, some of them poor people don't smell too good.

Many people who hunt are not able to do this, but they should not be critical of those that can. Nobody gave it to me. I had to earn it and that is the American way.
Exactly!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. If those Poor people wanted to hunt, they can go work a couple of extra shifts at the Fire Department, maybe work extra hours in the Patrol Car at the Police Department. Those Poor people don't need 3 months off in the Summer from teaching classes, there are plenty of summer jobs they can do until the students come back to class that won't interfere with their continuing education requirements.

As for JC's comments I am one of those top 2% and I pay more than my fair share of taxes every year.
Again, I am with you on that one. I pay way more taxes than I would like, and it pisses me off to have to watch the evening news and see my tax money being wasted on body armour for a bunch of guys wandering around Iraq and Afghanistan without any decrease in Oil Prices. Why spend all that money on the Military if we still have $3 gallons of gas???

If the tables were turned I am confident that JC would feel differently.
I think I agree with you 100%, and, don't get me started on how I feel about black people and Mexicans!!!

In fact the top 5% of the wage earners pay the vast majority of the taxes in this counrty and with the alternative minimum tax there are no loopholes.
Exactly, it is the top 5% that we should worry about in this country!!! I couldn't have said it better. I remember 2 years ago when I wasn't sure if Goldman Sachs was going to make it or not, I wasn't so concerned when Lehman Brothers went under, or Bear Stearns, but if Goldman Sachs was going under I was going to be pissed!!!

The more money that I keep in my pocket the more I have to invest in new start up companies and that is what creates jobs.
Dude, it is like we were separated at birth!!! I agree with you 150%, it is all about how much money I can keep in my pocket too. People should be way more grateful that there are guys like you and me walking around with pockets full of cash. It is people like us that create the good jobs. Tell me there isn't a stripper in Kentucky that isn't happy to see you with cash that she can earn to feed her kids.

Sorry for all of the politics but enough is enough.
Exactly, politics has no place in wildlife management!!!

I guess it has to do with location also. I don't pay to hunt in my home state of OK. I hunt public land and private by permission. I guess I pay with the odd gift to the landowner, but that doesn't amount to much.

Paying a trespass fee in WY had as much to do with increasing my odds of drawing a tag as anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back