Competing with the Pumpkin Patch

Bill Christy

For the younger hunters, the term "Pumpkin Patch" refers to all the orange in the field worn by hunters. Modern elk have changed their patterns bit. Pressured elk have learned to retreat to private land to avoid hunting pressure. If asking for trespass permission has failed, and paying for trespass fees costs too much, about the only way to hunt these elk is to patiently hung the property lines for elk movement back and forth from private land to public land. In these instances, game calls don't work. The motivation for elk to move around back and forth are the high dollar private hunters driving the elk back across the fence line. When I've had to hunt the line like this, I've found early morning hunting is best, before the elk can cross back over the fence line to private land. So many times when I'm setting up for a shot, like a sniper, I reflect back in the day when skills of "Fair-Chase" hunting separated the men from the boys.

So many times when I'm setting up for a shot, like a sniper, I reflect back in the day when skills of "Fair-Chase" hunting separated the men from the boys.
Funny GIF

For the younger hunters, the term "Pumpkin Patch" refers to all the orange in the field worn by hunters. Modern elk have changed their patterns bit. Pressured elk have learned to retreat to private land to avoid hunting pressure. If asking for trespass permission has failed, and paying for trespass fees costs too much, about the only way to hunt these elk is to patiently hung the property lines for elk movement back and forth from private land to public land. In these instances, game calls don't work. The motivation for elk to move around back and forth are the high dollar private hunters driving the elk back across the fence line. When I've had to hunt the line like this, I've found early morning hunting is best, before the elk can cross back over the fence line to private land. So many times when I'm setting up for a shot, like a sniper, I reflect back in the day when skills of "Fair-Chase" hunting separated the men from the boys.
Was it really fair? And was it really a chase?

Fair: impartial and just, without favoritism or discrimination.
Chase: pursue in order to catch or catch up with.

@Bill Christy - what is the point of this thread? Are you looking for guidance on how to compete with the "pumpkin patch"? Are you looking to give advice to "younger hunters"? Please explain. The humans on this site would like to know.

Take it easy guys reverse aging isn’t easy. The Curious case of Bill Christy Button? View attachment 315409View attachment 315410
Be nice maybe he got into the paint chips as a kid :ROFLMAO: ...it's giving boomer lead poisoning vibes

We actually discussed the OP and other recent "bot like members" this weekend. We've come to the conclusion that it's either a kicked member or a member that requested to have their account deleted and they're trolling with chatbot statements.

Last edited:
When you’re “hunting the line” and “setting up for a shot like a sniper” do you douche out in the field or douche at the truck?
Asking for a friend.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back