Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Wilderness

Cowbell

Just looking for some opinions on a nonresident hunting units that are 40% or more wilderness. So many of the units for good bulls are not available to us due to the large percentage of wilderness. Often times, the wilderness seems to be the higher portions of the unit. Not meaning to get unit specific, but what are you guys experiences when bow hunting in September when you can only hunt portions of a unit like this?

It will be tough. Elk use those boundaries to their advantage and the quality/quantity is typically better in the wilderness. That doesn't mean you can't get one (check out Randy's hunt from 1-2 years ago), but it's just difficult and almighty tempting.

Keep in mind, you don't have to hire a guide necessarily. You can just find a resident who is willing to hunt with you and pick up a resident guide permit from G&F.

Keep in mind, you don't have to hire a guide necessarily. You can just find a resident who is willing to hunt with you and pick up a resident guide permit from G&F.

If he's talking about applying for 2019, that only leaves him until tomorrow night to find someone to do the resident guide thing or take the risk that if he draws he can work something out. He could apply and if drawn then go that route with hopes to find someone or just go if drawn and stay out of the wilderness if he can't. If he's talking a future year, then he obviously has plenty of time to try to work something out.

If he's talking about applying for 2019, that only leaves him until tomorrow night to find someone to do the resident guide thing or take the risk that if he draws he can work something out. He could apply and if drawn then go that route with hopes to find someone or just go if drawn and stay out of the wilderness if he can't. If he's talking a future year, then he obviously has plenty of time to try to work something out.

Most outfitters who work in wilderness areas are also likely booked already.

I’m actually applying for a general tag so have some time. I’ve got units that I know but looking for bigger bulls and thus looking at these units.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back