wyoming unit 37

Rooster52

Going to look at the area north of Wolf creek trail for early cow hunt for 2016. Doing a little scouting just to look the area over. Thinking 2016 deer and elk hunt.

Have you talked with the biologist in the area?

The reason I ask is that when I looked into this area a few years ago the information I was getting (some from the biologist) was that the majority of the elk in 37 are up in the wilderness, and only really pass through the rest of the national forest on their way to the low ground. That isn't to say they might not hang up, but once you get off the national forest it is private (very little hunting pressure), and these elk apparently have that figured out.

I know there are some guys on here from the Sheridan/Buffalo area, they may be able to shed some more light.

Good luck!

I talked to the warden .If I plan on hunting the early September season only a small portion of 37 in the national forest is open for that season.He said best bet for that season is to hunt as close to the private land as possible.Once the elk move from the forest onto that private they usually stay there.
Just checking it out for now ,nothing permanent.

I just came back from there and although there were elk sign in many area's I did not see an elk in 12 days. also all of 37 was open .the whole time I was there I don't think I heard more than 2 shots. the back roads are almost impassable, roads are not all marked properly and spent a lot of time trying to figure out were I was or how to get there. will never hunt that area again. ( did see huge bull on 12th evening crossing road.) PS . Also saw huge mule deer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back