Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Range Grizz

I have killed two wounded black bears with a 44.

One died fairly quickly after three hits. This bear had been gut shot two hours earlier by my buddy, so was likely in pretty bad shape before I shot it with the pistol. We found it in the entrance of an old collapsed mine shaft. I shot it once in the chest from about 7-8 yards and it immediately lunged out of the mine and between me and my hunting partner. After it passed I shot it twice more and it fell dead about thirty yards down the hill. If it had decided to attack after that first shot I am pretty sure it could have killed one of us long before it died.

The second bear I had shot the evening before from across a canyon. After the shot the bear dropped and fell off a cliff. When we went to recover it the next morning the bear was nowhere to be found. After about an half hour of searching I found it laying against a big ponderosa. I yelled to my buddy, who was down hill below some small cliffs, that I had found it. After I yelled the bear got up and started to move down hill. I yelled a warning to my buddy and began to fire at the bear. I shot the bear four times before it fell off a cliff and got hung up in a tree. It took it a t least two minutes before it stopped thrashing around in the tree. My initial shot across the canyon had deflected off its front shoulder and broken its jaw.

I have also been charged by several black and grizzly bears. Ever time but one I did not know the bear was there until I was very close (<15 yards). Unless you are confident that you can draw your pistol and hit a running bear in the brain in less than three seconds I would recommend the spray. I carry both in grizz country while bow hunting, and just the spray when I have a rifle in my hands, and yes the rifle is usualy in my hands and not on my back.

Though I've only seen videos of grizzlys charging/running, I doubt there are very few that are getting off more than one well aimed shot with about anything. Just my 2 cents.

That said, I won't be carry a pistol if I have a rifle in my hand as I don't think the trade off warrants it.

notice I didn't say more than one well aimed shot. :)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back