Wyoming Point Totals going in to 2017

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Wyoming does a good job of letting you know what you are up against, depending upon point level, by species.

Elk, deer, antelope totals (non-resident only) - https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_EDA.pdf

Moose and sheep (goats are not on a point system) - https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/TOTAL_PREF_POINTS_MS.pdf

Wonder how many of the elk, deer, antelope folks will be getting off the sidelines and apply for tags rather than buy more points. Always a crap shoot on that factor. If I was sitting on a ton of points, which I am for deer, I would be burning them before the next hard winter kill. I plan to do that in 2017, if the winter is mild. Just need the drawing luck to roll my way.

I would imagine a lot of these max points holders, especially for deer, try each year to get one of Wyoming's max points deer tags but they give out so few non-resi tags for their premium deer units there is just not much movement.

And guys wonder when point creep will slow down. With 67,000+ point holders for elk, I'd say damn near never.

Those sheep points are hard to look at. Kinda want to get in the game but 20+ years is a long time in the hunting world

Those sheep points are hard to look at. Kinda want to get in the game but 20+ years is a long time in the hunting world

I hear ya. I dont play the moose and sheep game in Wyoming for that exact reason. Even if by some miracle I could get a tag in 25+ years I would be too old by then to even do the hunt.

Got 6 for pronghorn, deer, and elk...need to use them. Elk is the only hunt that I don't know what to do yet.

How many deer points are you sitting on Fin?

Are the 2016 numbers available for comparison sake? I could not find them.

My dad, nephew, and I are all sitting on 3 elk/deer/antelope. I think we will use the antelope points this year. It will be my nephews first hunt out west at 26. He hasn't had much time to hunt since high school, because he majored in pharmacy. I think he will love it! I'm pretty excited about that hunt, just to take in his reactions to the sights, smells and sounds of the high plains.

I was a top point holder for both deer and elk. Spent everything I had and last year. I'm now pointless in Wyoming and loving it.

Now I just need to start building up some resident moose/sheep points. Sure wish I had started sooner. I didn't think I would ever be a Wyoming resident so I never justified the cost till now

Does anybody have the Going Into 2016 Draw points table? I seem to have lost my copy and would like to compare.

2016 Current Preference Point Totals as of 11/21/2016
Elk Deer Antelope
Current Preference Points: 4 7 3

I really need to get out of the PP cycle, I am going to try and antelope hunt 2017 but need to start researching deer and do something.

Well sirs. I'm not sure how this recent storm hit WY but I have another question. At what point do you go SPECIAL in the stead of REGULAR for the draw. It's what 500 bones more to draw special. So for elk that's 10 years worth of buying points so it probably won't make financial sense but I'm sitting on 8 elk points and could draw the special but then again I could just wait it out and see how long it takes me to actually draw...FYI I am 1 point away in the regular draw so it could be 4 or 5 very disappointing years before I actually draw. Thoughts?

Glad I drew a bull tag a few years back with 5 points. 8 points isn't getting you a tag in that area now.

Well sirs. I'm not sure how this recent storm hit WY but I have another question. At what point do you go SPECIAL in the stead of REGULAR for the draw. It's what 500 bones more to draw special. So for elk that's 10 years worth of buying points so it probably won't make financial sense but I'm sitting on 8 elk points and could draw the special but then again I could just wait it out and see how long it takes me to actually draw...FYI I am 1 point away in the regular draw so it could be 4 or 5 very disappointing years before I actually draw. Thoughts?

There is no easy answer to this. You need to look at the figures from prior years and make a judgement that suits you. Each zone may have a different outcome.

Does anybody have the Going Into 2016 Draw points table? I seem to have lost my copy and would like to compare.

Yea I've got it. I'll try and get it posted later today when I have a chance.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back