Wyoming Muzzleloader Antelope

Flint Hillbilly

I'm thinking I may do my first WY antelope hunt during muzzleloader season, and would like to hear some pros and cons between muzzy units 50 and 99 if anyone has experience with them. Both seem to have decent chunks of public land, with 50 taking only 1 point or so to draw, and 99 3-4 points. Initial thoughts are that 99 looks better on topo so wondering if would be worth holding out for. Any road access issues or other factors in either that make it a no-brainier either way? Thanks!

I have antelope hunted with a muzzleloader in Wyoming but not in the units you mention. First day I could get to less than 100 yards ,second day if they seen me I could not get to within 500 yard.Be there opening day and you should do good.

I too have hunted with a muzzleloader in Wyoming. When In college, I hunted near Laramie, Area 44 or 45, and it was muzzleloader only. I filled and didn't see another hunter, since then I have hunted several other areas with muzzy during the rifle season with pretty good success.
My thoughts on your question would be this, those areas that are Muzzleloader Only or Muzzy and handgun, should be without a lot of hunting pressure, but it looks like limited access to public in those areas. I Have not hunted any of those areas so there could be a gem in there somewhere. If you are confident in your smokepole then I would look at other areas with better draw odds and/or have good public access. Then either follow Rooster's advice and be there opening day or even go later in the hopes that there would be some cooler temps and they are bunched up to give you some opportunity to close the distance and have multiple chances.

I'm a resident of Wyoming and I hunted 99 type 0 last year and had a riot. By far the most fun antelope hunting I have ever done. I killed a small buck with my muzzleloader on the opening day of the rifle season, it was a now or never last day I could hunt buck and I was thrilled with him, even though there are bigger on my wall. I believe there is a week or so for muzzleloader hunting before the rifle hunt starts and I couldn't make it happen during the muzzleloader hunt.

Access isn't as good as other areas so if you draw buy some maps, get the Wyoming GPS chip, and know where the walk in areas are.

50 can be good, I have hunted it. While no antelope on the forest the G&F land there is good hunting. Check the season dates. This unit gets hit pretty hard by general deer hunters and limited quota elk hunters in October but relatively no archery hunters out of the forest. Good terrain too, some hills not flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back