MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming Mule Deer......???

MTnsheds

My plan to hunt elk in Wyoming next fall just fell through - partner just found out he will be at a 3 month training next fall. As a result, I want to try to draw a good WY mule deer unit.

I am a non-resident with "max" points. I have been hearing not-so-good reports about deer numbers and quality in WY from bad winters and predation. I live in MT and have ample hunting opportunity so I am willing to apply for a difficult rifle hunt -not in the wilderness- with the probability of not drawing.

I know it is odd to jump on these sites and ask for suggestion but I know the quality of folks on this site. I am a longtime lurker and, as many of you can attest, I am willing to PM hunt info about MT areas.

Any unit suggestions? Thanks in advance. MTnsheds

You can pretty well go onto the G&F website and see which units you will want to apply for by looking in the draw odds section and then checking to see that the unit you apply for has enough public land that isn't wilderness to have a good DIY hunt. Right now everyone with max PPs for deer are sort of on a slippery slope since there are few areas that are as good as they used to be.and many feel that there aren't any units worth burning max PPs on at this time.

Dmandoes,

I am not super picky and would be pleased with a solid typical in the 193" range or a non-typical over 211"! Just kidding. I have not put as much the time and effort into mule deer as I have other mountain critters. I grew up in a unit that was known for quality mule deer and good populations but those days are gone. I have killed a few good deer but want an opportunity on a better one. I know that I am probably hunting the wrong states but family time and challenging budgets keep me pretty close to home. Because of that, I am looking for a mature deer. At this point, I want to hunt hard in an area that still holds big mule deer, learn some new country, and let the cards fall as they may. MTnsheds

Dmandoes -

The MT mule deer areas I have hunted / hunt currently are becoming notorious for crabclaws or missing forks altogether. I would certainly preferred the typical 4 x4 frame but would not hesitate to shoot a heavy, mature buck. It is kind of the "know it when I see it" thing. MTnsheds

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back