Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming Grizzly Hunting approved

To clarify a few things on the hunt.

The tag fees are set by the legislature. The department doesn't lobby.

There will initially be 13 tags issued. 12 outside the DMA (Area 7) (9 R, 3 NR). 1 tag will be issued in the DMA (Areas 1-6) to a resident. If that person harvests a male, another resident will be issued a tag. The 4th tag issued will be to a NR. If any person kills a female that tag issuance ends, and no more bears will be killed in areas 1-6. Effectively no more than 22 bears can be killed so no more than 5 NR tags issued.

Last edited:

There will initially be 13 tags issued. 12 outside the DMA (Area 7) (9 R, 3 NR). 1 tag will be issued in the DMA (Areas 1-6) to a resident. If that person harvests a male, another resident will be issued a tag. The 4th tag issued will be to a NR. If any person kills a female that tag issuance ends, and no more bears will be killed in areas 1-6. Effectively no more than 22 bears can be killed so no more than 5 NR tags issued.
So I guess if the person who gets the DMA tag just road hunts and doesn't harvest an animal he stops the hunt for everyone. Strange they don't have two at a time going to prevent that.

So I guess if the person who gets the DMA tag just road hunts and doesn't harvest an animal he stops the hunt for everyone. Strange they don't have two at a time going to prevent that.

No kidding. You would think #2, #3 and #4 would be out with #1 helping make sure he was successful and dang sure he did not shoot a female.

I just think its funny were at 23 responses but none from WYO residents... you MT residents should be asking your reps why your not hunting them this fall! Idaho guys why only one tag! The shame is Wyoming is the only state with balls enough to try this!!! Long overdue and if even one bear killed in legal harvest its a sucess.

If I'm not mistaken, each tag holder gets 10 days to harvest, then on to the next in line. Given that mature boars are no pushovers, it is very likely a young male or sow will be taken first. How many hunters can really tell the difference between male and female and what's the likelihood those will be the first to hunt?

Glad to see the hunt moving forward though.

I just think its funny were at 23 responses but none from WYO residents... you MT residents should be asking your reps why your not hunting them this fall! Idaho guys why only one tag! The shame is Wyoming is the only state with balls enough to try this!!! Long overdue and if even one bear killed in legal harvest its a sucess.

Montana’s quota, like Idaho’s didn’t include a sow grizzly. They chose not to have a hunt because of this. Should the Idaho hunter harvest a sow it will affect Idaho’s sow quota next year.

Seems that holds true with the esa release for wolf hunts. While I was not a rah-rah fan for Wyoming's action - at least Wyoming had the drive to see it through. Someone, or in this case, some state has to get the ball rolling, so yes... good on Wyoming for starting the ball. There will always be push back as is with, "armchair QB's". Always easier to critique than to act. Always rough to start, will refine over time.

There was not a bigger blunder in game management then Wyoming and their wolf season. Seems they have learned from it and have a solid griz plan. MT FWP learned nothing from the wolf delisting and applied that nothing to their griz management.

There was not a bigger blunder in game management then Wyoming and their wolf season. Seems they have learned from it and have a solid griz plan. MT FWP learned nothing from the wolf delisting and applied that nothing to their griz management.

I don't want to change the subject given a second sow grizzly with cubs has been killed in self defense in Wyoming this year, but Wyoming's so called "blunder" in wolf management seems to be working just fine now.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEh_nfxH9K_VjeYsbjHRarkdy8CrA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back