Wyoming General Tag or Limited draw?

streamer

Just started getting points again for Wyoming Elk and Deer just wandering what you guys feel is the better of the hunts, going sooner on a general tag which can be every other year, which I have done and had luck. Or waiting out the points game for a few years to get a limited tag hunt, which I have not done yet. I have shot a few elk but would like to get one in the 300's. Am I better off buying points and waiting to have better odds for a larger animal?

Plenty of 300"+ elk on Wy. general tags.I hunt their general tag only as I just can't wait it out.I've been buying points in Co for a trophy hunt.On my off year of drawing I do another hunt or go to Montana on a general tag which also has some huge bulls available
For deer, your best to wait it out in Wy.If you want an average muley,get a general tag for Mt. while you build points in Wy or Co.I'm to the point where I can now draw good tags in both Wy. and Co.
Seems like theres a point creep going on in Wy. each year so to start now for elk would put you 5- 10 yrs out for a great tag

There aren't any big bulls in Wyoming in the general tag areas.

For sure it isn't worth doing the special price general tag.

:( My loophole is closing.... What used to be a 100% sure thing dropped down to 63% odds last year and I think it's just going to get worse. :(

Last edited:
Special Price is still 100%.
The random draw report only shows the "random draw" stats. There is a suplimental draw that takes place after the normal draws and it's used to allocate the remaining NR tags that are required to meet the 7,250 NR tag quota. They go back thru the GEN apps and allocate the tags there. That draw report isn't published on the web. There were over 700 NR tags converted and allocated in that draw. All 2nd choice apps and some 3rd choice apps were drawn in that supplimental draw.

Last edited:
I hear yoou on the point creeping it seams to the norm for all states, just hate it that it can take such a long time to draw a good tag. AZ is really hard to draw don't know how many years that one will take.

Special Price is still 100%.
The random draw report only shows the "random draw" stats. There is a suplimental draw that takes place after the normal draws and it's used to allocate the remaining NR tags that are required to meet the 7,250 NR tag quota. They go back thru the GEN apps and allocate the tags there. That draw report isn't published on the web. There were over 700 NR tags converted and allocated in that draw. All 2nd choice apps and some 3rd choice apps were drawn in that supplimental draw.

Wapitibob, do you know what the numbers on the special 2nd choice option ended up this year? On the random draw numbers there were more 1st choice applicants than there were tags for GEN this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigElk
Back