Wyoming Elk

Muleyfanatic

My uncle and I are in Wyoming elk hunting (seasons starts tomorrow); we hunted this are 2 years for deer and saw lots of elk so we decided to come back out for them. We are hunting in south central Wyoming on a general liscenses. We arrived 3 days early to do some preseason scouting that could not be done from 1500+ miles away. I hiked back into some nasty draws and found a few elk. I was wondering what you guys suggest sit all day on meadows bordering timber or hike around to different meadows or still hunt the black timber (you can probably see a 100 yards. The place where I had found a few elk was just a small meadow (500yards long by 200yards) on a steep canyon surrounded by black timber. Would sit this location and hope the other hunters push them through there or they may possibly move through naturally or look for more open country.

I was taught by my dad to be a spot and wait type hunter. I mean he never pounded the timber during the day. It made for long boring days as a kid but his technique was to find openings or hillsides that the elk were feeding on in the morning and be ready when they feed out in the evening and vis versa for the evening to morning. He was pretty accurate that unless pushed during the day they generally didn't go to far in to bed and then would appear later in the close proximity to feed again. The other thing he did was wait right till dark before leaving. I can't tell you the number of times you would see other hunters heading back just before dark only to have the animals appear just at last light. Use your flashlight and come out in the dark.
I know some guys who are great timber hunters and are real successfull. I just don't think I have the patience to walk slow enough to get it done.

Good luck

I really have a hard time just sitting. I have killed a few elk in thick timber and it is not easy, but if you can be patient enough to creep through it, it can pay off. It boils down to your preferred hunting method. The evening on the meadow would be good if there are not tons of people pushing them away from the area.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back