Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Antelope, 2nd choice

WapitiBob

I would like your opinions on 2nd choice units (and I can take a beatin !).

For 2010 I took my daughter on her first big game hunt. We were advised to try unit 30. We were both successful but we saw few Antelope. The advise was good. Talking to others who had been hunting there for 5 years said it had gone way down in the last 2 but prior to that it was a 200 Antelope/day area. I would like to get her into a lot more Antelope, size doesn't really matter. I would like lots of (blown) stalks so she sees enough animals to keep her interested but learns that it's not quite like shooting Antelope in a barrel.
We have max points and I want to keep them. We'll apply to 60 first choice and hope we don't draw.
I have looked over units 30, 31, 32, and 48 so far.

Another question. I see a lot of checkerboard BLM/pvt in 48. Every other section. Out here that's how they divvied up the land to Timber Companies to get them to build the Rail Road. While they only own every other section, they own tons of it and allow hunting with conditions so it's pretty much continuous land. Is it similar in Wyoming but perhaps with Mining Companies?

Public or a small trespass to hunt a ranch would be OK.
We hunted the northern HMA in 30 last year. Saw nothing but our feet in the walk in area.

Last edited:
I am not an expert on this but from the info you gave I would recomend looking into one of the north east,or central east units.Lots of antelope in those areas.

Will not try to convince you to hunt a particular unit, but I can tell you that the checkerboard land you are talking about is not accessible unless you have permission from the private landowner adjoining the BLM land. It is right on page 2 in a pamphlet published jointly by F&G, BLM, and USFS. I also know a Game Warden/Biologist for the F&G and he verified that is correct and can result in a trespass ticket if you are caught on those BLM checkerboard areas without permission from the adjacent landowner.

Last edited:
Topgun,

Only true if the checkerboard land in question is not accessible via a public easement. If BLM lands are accessible by county road, an HMA or Walk in area, or other public land, you dont need the permission from any other adjacent private landowners to hunt it.

I'm guessing TopGun is referring to corner jumping, which is illegal in WY.
You can however get into those sections from the air if you're so inclined.

it kinda depends on if you want 100% chance at 2nd choice or a partial chance as 2nd choice,,also depends on reg or special draw,,,,72 could be a good second choice but thats in the "special" draw,,,looks like 72 would not be drawable as a 2nd choice in the reg draw but 70 would be though unsure about unit in particular{havnt been there} it can get confusing between the 2 draws.

The big downside of the special draw in th OP's case is he would have to pay the special fee for his daughter instead of the $120 youth price.

it kinda depends on if you want 100% chance at 2nd choice or a partial chance as 2nd choice,,also depends on reg or special draw,,,,72 could be a good second choice but thats in the "special" draw,,,looks like 72 would not be drawable as a 2nd choice in the reg draw but 70 would be though unsure about unit in particular{havnt been there} it can get confusing between the 2 draws.

Hunted 70 last year. The huntable land outside of Alcova was devoid of Antelope. Don't know if it was just the year or if its always that way. Strange as just across the road there were antelope all over. If you plan on going for 70 plan on paying a trespass fee unless you know someone.

The big downside of the special draw in th OP's case is he would have to pay the special fee for his daughter instead of the $120 youth price.

This is a 2010 thread.
Even though I paid the Special price to ensure the 2nd choice tags, I paid the youth price for my daughter. WY doesn't have a "special price" provision for youth, only adults. As the Party Leader, my special price app puts us both in that draw.

thats good to know,,,which unit next to it did you see the antelope that were huntable?

69, 72, 71 all seemed to have more huntable antelope. There were a few huntable antelope in 70, just a different part of the zone, a very small part with little public land. If you end up going there, which I would advise against, PM me and I will tell you right where to go.

I hunted unit 70 last fall also and found very few animals, ended up not killing anything, most of the critters I saw in 70 were on private. Saw several animals in 32 though.

Bob

does 69 or 71 have some public land access or w i a areas?looks like unit 72 is not a viable 2nd choice in the "reg" draw or chances are very low as a reg 2nd choice?

does 69 or 71 have some public land access or w i a areas?looks like unit 72 is not a viable 2nd choice in the "reg" draw or chances are very low as a reg 2nd choice?

69 looks like it takes a point to draw so it would not be available as a 2nd. choice, there is a lot of accessible land there though. 71 has a little public access along the county roads but in most cases it isn't very "deep" only a section or 2, I drew it as a third choice tag 2 years ago but last year all the tags were drawn as first choice. One other thing about 71, if you don't have access to private property along the highway and it rains you are screwed if you don't have a 4wd with chains!

Bob

so,,,i still havnt figured out my best choice as 2nd choice,,,reg draw,,,thinkin of posibly 71,69,29,30,31,70?,,,anybody else have any sugestions? I want at least some access,,,or should i wait and see what leftover tags come out?any ideas for 3rd choice? anywhere in the state doesnt matter but would prefer west or central units if i can.

so,,,i still havnt figured out my best choice as 2nd choice,,,reg draw,,,thinkin of posibly 71,69,29,30,31,70?,,,anybody else have any sugestions? I want at least some access,,,or should i wait and see what leftover tags come out?any ideas for 3rd choice? anywhere in the state doesnt matter but would prefer west or central units if i can.

70 can be had in leftovers, from what I saw of 70, your 29,30,31 choices are better.

Old thread to the top

This is a 2010 thread.
Even though I paid the Special price to ensure the 2nd choice tags, I paid the youth price for my daughter. WY doesn't have a "special price" provision for youth, only adults. As the Party Leader, my special price app puts us both in that draw.

An old thread I know but I am interested in the Special price tag and youth tag on a party application. I swear I asked that exact question to the Wyo game and fish lady when I had her on the phone researching this past seasons tag (during last years application period) and I am sure she said that if I went special price that my 12 year old son (and any other person in the party) would have to go Special price as well. Has anyone actually applied in the party tag system with a special price adult and a standard price youth in the same party app and had it work out ok? I would be interested to hear from first hand experience, Thanks Kevin.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back