Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY unit recommendations

HFT

Hi all. First time posting on this forum, so excuse any mistakes I make.

I'm going to be applying for leftover WY pronghorn tags this week, and am looking at units 16, 17, and 22. All have leftover buck and doe/fawn tags. Anyone out there have any experience with these units? Which one(s) should I prioritize?

This will be my first time antelope hunting, if I'm able to draw. I know any units with leftover tags may have access issues, but I'm willing and able to walk as far as I have to in order to get away from pressure or find antelope. I'm primarily looking for meat on this trip, don't care much about big horns. I'd be happy shooting a doe or two.

Anything else a newbie like me should be considering or should know in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Access challenges will be a function of finding public land and less about walking once you find that land. There are some public places, but not much, thus the reason there are leftovers. I would go to this link and see if there are any HMAs or WIHAs in those units - https://wgfd.wyo.gov/public-access

Good luck.

I never hunted any of those areas but it doesn't look like they have very much legal access so be prepared to put miles on your feet. Good luck with the draw

Unfortunately Fin he won't be able to use that link because it's down until July 10th for them to put up stuff for the 2017 season and that's after the new leftover application period they are doing this year. Of those three mentioned, unit 16 has the most public land by far that can be legally accessed, but you have to walk a lot of miles from the few legal spots you can park. That's the unit I would put in for of the three mentioned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back