Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY Public Land Units and Preference Points

JoPark55

Greetings!

I am new to this forum and thanks to this forum I just purchased my 1st preference point for WY Antelope. So to all of you that posted about this, thank you! I have never hunted in WY and I am just now starting to look for information on GMU's to look into. I was hoping that some of you out there would be willing to share some suggestions on GMU's that have a good amount of public land and access? Also an idea of how many PP I would need to draw a buck tag? I am not really looking for a B&C buck I just want to hunt. I live in CO and it is very tough to get a tag that can be hunted on public land. I am gathering points down here too but now looking into WY.

Thank you and good luck this hunting season!

Jordan

In Wyoming there is generally a correlation between draw odds and public access. Those with loads of public land generally have fewer tags and low draw odds even with a point or two. However there are some units with reasonable access as long as trophy status isn't a must. This is not to mean its impossible. A point or two is all you will need to be sure for these types of units. Look on the game dept. Site at the walk in areas. Some join up with state and blm land to make some descent sized parcels. Then check the draw odds for the preference point drawing. One point should do you good in most areas. Also check the HMAs. These offer some great hunting especially if you go the second week when crowds have thinned. There is also the trespass fee route as well. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Something else to remember, is that every unit in Wyoming can produce great bucks- maybe just not as many. Any unit that you draw will be great fun and if you don't kill an antelope, it is on you, as it is a target-rich environment. You can always go home with a doe, if you do not see the buck that you want, too.

Welcome.

Thank you guys for the information. Its definitely a good place to start. I will continue to do my research. Is there a certain part of the state that may be better than others? Southwest? Northeast? Etc.. I am looking forward to go chase some Speedgoats in WY in the next year or so..

Thanks

Jordan

@JoPark55 You may also look into areas that have walk in areas. I have hunted some 0 and 1 point units that have walk in areas with lots of antelope. The downside is there will be lots of other hunters and trophy potential is low. If you do some research and manage your expectations you can have a really fun hunt with 1 point.

Send me a PM if you need a Kickstart on research.

P.S. Might as well grab elk and deer points because once you get a taste of it you won't be able to stop.

Last edited:
@JoPark55 You may also look into areas that have walk in areas. I have hunted some 0 and 1 point units that have walk in areas with lots of antelope. The downside is there will be lots of other hunters and trophy potential is low. If you do some research and manage your expectations you can have a really fun hunt with 1 point.

Send me a PM if you need a Kickstart on research.

P.S. Might as well grab elk and deer points because once you get a taste of it you won't be able to stop.

I will send you a PM. Thank you!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back