Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY License Fees Increase Effective 1/1/2018

I was just trying to get a point across of this is a hunting forum and not a political one where the same people constantly complain about the same issues. Montana has had some districts in the Bear Paws to name a few with a ration of 50 bulls to cows. Every state FWP has its issues including Wyoming and Montana. Most average nonresident can't afford to pay a guide to hunt in Wyomings wilderness or 4,000 for a bison hunt when they can do it on their own and a lot cheaper in other states. When politicians and rich landowners get involved it changes the rules for your average hunter. I'm retired military so I don't know what sitting on my butt means. Instead of complaining I am more of a solution based person so how do we change the FWP elk management policies or Wyoming hunting rules and costs more in line with the surrounding states.

If you really want that question answered, I would ask BuzzH, instead of wrongly criticizing him. He has a better grasp on both Wyoming & Montana game management than anyone I know.

I was just trying to get a point across of this is a hunting forum and not a political one where the same people constantly complain about the same issues. Montana has had some districts in the Bear Paws to name a few with a ration of 50 bulls to cows. Every state FWP has its issues including Wyoming and Montana. Most average nonresident can't afford to pay a guide to hunt in Wyomings wilderness or 4,000 for a bison hunt when they can do it on their own and a lot cheaper in other states. When politicians and rich landowners get involved it changes the rules for your average hunter. I'm retired military so I don't know what sitting on my butt means. Instead of complaining I am more of a solution based person so how do we change the FWP elk management policies or Wyoming hunting rules and costs more in line with the surrounding states.

The issues you speak of in Wyoming are solely controlled by the legislature. GF can't do anything about that.

I however, don't completely agree with Buzz about the license fee increase being all bad. Sure fees are going up with no benefit to GF and the public, but GF no longer receiving any money from the legislature is a good thing.

I however, don't completely agree with Buzz about the license fee increase being all bad. Sure fees are going up with no benefit to GF and the public, but GF no longer receiving any money from the legislature is a good thing.

I disagree strongly with this for a few reasons.

1. If the state wants the gf to be financially independent, fine, then they should give up the heavy handed control. When the GF needs another fee increase, give the commission the authority to raise fees. Keep your BS legislation to yourself every session and let the agency function without your meddling.

2. As Governor Mead has stated several times, if Wyomings wildlife is worth the watching, its worth supporting.

3. Hunting, fishing, and the associated wildlife is the second largest economic driver in the State. Many businesses rely on the wildlife resources and associated revenue it attracts to the State. Asking the tax payers and legislature of Wyoming to invest 4-5 million into a GF budget of 78 million is a very small ask. Considering what the State brings in from local, federal, and state taxes combined with the economy surrounding wildlife, its a massive return on investment. IMO, its the very least they can do.

I disagree strongly with this for a few reasons.

1. If the state wants the gf to be financially independent, fine, then they should give up the heavy handed control. When the GF needs another fee increase, give the commission the authority to raise fees. Keep your BS legislation to yourself every session and let the agency function without your meddling.

2. As Governor Mead has stated several times, if Wyomings wildlife is worth the watching, its worth supporting.

3. Hunting, fishing, and the associated wildlife is the second largest economic driver in the State. Many businesses rely on the wildlife resources and associated revenue it attracts to the State. Asking the tax payers and legislature of Wyoming to invest 4-5 million into a GF budget of 78 million is a very small ask. Considering what the State brings in from local, federal, and state taxes combined with the economy surrounding wildlife, its a massive return on investment. IMO, its the very least they can do.

Do you think being off the general fund would be good IF the legislature took a mostly hands-off approach?

20% increase with basically no increase for residents!!

In case you haven't noticed, just about every state charges NRs many times more than what residents pay in license fees. It is what it is, is not going to change, and you either need to decide to pay to play and figure out how you're going to do it by start a special savings account, etc.

If you really want that question answered, I would ask BuzzH, instead of wrongly criticizing him. He has a better grasp on both Wyoming & Montana game management than anyone I know.

What he said. Keep up the good work Buzz.

Seen this coming a long time ago... by the time our kids are able to come and hunt out west we are going to have to millionaires to afford for them to hunt...
This is just the start. Truly becoming a rich mans sport. Oh well i bet there will be less competition for tags.

I have a hard time with this. One one hand, I'd like tags to be reasonable for all in order to encourage more people to hunt. At the same time, what good is it to have an average elk tag take years to draw? I know that almost every tag that I've hunted with in WY over the past 8 seasons, or plan on hunting with in the future, have become harder to draw. Perhaps the draw structure is partially to blame for that, but demand is demand. And if the G&F needs the funds, then the money has to come from somewhere, right?

Here in IL I get an archery deer combo tag (an either-sex and doe tag) for $26. That price hasn't increased in 20 years The same combo costs the non-resident $410, and that's before the $57 NR hunting license. My shotgun either-sex tag increased to $25 a few years ago, the NR pays $325. The resident here rides the gravy train, as in most states.

Hard to believe I can pay $1268 for an elk tag and I am still restricted from hunting Federal Wilderness areas unless I pay a guide another $5k!

Back