Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

WY 2024 App Booklet is up

Gohunt has the updated draw odds for Wyoming and my 4 points went from 100% last year to 16%. Guess I’ll sit on the sidelines and see how the new region thing shakes up

I may be misunderstanding the color coding of the map. I see a unit is general for rifle but has a type 9 archery, then it shows up as grey (LE). The only ones that show up as general are if they are both archery and rifle general?? WY must have got pointers from MT on how to "simplify" the regs.
There have been some general areas with some type 9 tags that open September 1 and the general tags with the archery stamp don't open until the 15th for sometime now

There have been some general areas with some type 9 tags that open September 1 and the general tags with the archery stamp don't open until the 15th for sometime now
I guess the point was don't look at the color scheme of that map and assume a unit is LE. Check the details of each tag.

May have to cash my points in and go ahead and try for the moose as well. Prices are getting too steep.

Is a 100% success rate a real hunt? I might agree with it if average hunter logged 20 days of effort. There are only so many wild bison hunts left, demand still outpaces price.
I'm fully on board that those examples aren't much of a "hunt". In the past, guided and generally easy bison hunts have been a lot more expensive than drawing a "wild bison" hunt and paying the tag cost. The hurdle has always just been the extremely low draw odds. Now that the price is just about on par, does that mean that these hunts will draw less interest and the draw odds go up?

I didn't realize how steep the Bison tag cost went up. At over 6k now, do you think that prices a bunch of NR out?

I know its not the same experience but just for comparison, it aligns it just about on par with a guided ranch bison hunt now:
Would this private hunt be considered for your North American slam though ?

True, I still don't believe that our resources, bison in the case, should be reserved for the rich and only the rich
I don't think there is one anymore under 2500 is there? AK is a bit over 1k but it's quite a few extra k's when you add in the additional logistics to those hunts.

So I think bison unfortunately is a rich man's game for non residents right along with the big three.

Gohunt has the updated draw odds for Wyoming and my 4 points went from 100% last year to 16%. Guess I’ll sit on the sidelines and see how the new region thing shakes up
Good call. But just an FYI, the 16% is not a prediction for 2024, it was the result from 2023.

I don't think there is one anymore under 2500 is there? AK is a bit over 1k but it's quite a few extra k's when you add in the additional logistics to those hunts.

So I think bison unfortunately is a rich man's game for non residents right along with the big three.
Agreed, but I'm even a resident of SD and it's still a rich man's game. So is life though

I guess back to my original thought - a NR bison tag now costs closely on par to what a guided bison (non free range) "hunt" costs. I could be wrong, but I think this might be the first instance where a managed state game animal tag/license matches up with a non free range hunt cost. Does that start to set a precedent for other game animals? I guess I would want to see if draw odds go up or down before drawing any conclusion and thus why I was looking for thoughts on if it will result in less apps for bison this next draw?

I guess back to my original thought - a NR bison tag now costs closely on par to what a guided bison (non free range) "hunt" costs. I could be wrong, but I think this might be the first instance where a managed state game animal tag/license matches up with a non free range hunt cost. Does that start to set a precedent for other game animals? I guess I would want to see if draw odds go up or down before drawing any conclusion and thus why I was looking for thoughts on if it will result in less apps for bison this next draw?
I've had this debate in SD every year, and with the high costs they hardly get any applicants. I think something like less than fifty people apply for the eight or so tags

Yeah, you and me and everybody else. Fun game, isn’t it? Once they put out the estimated tags, we can get a better guess and what we are guessing at, but still a guess. Some of the tag services will have to convince customers they have it figured out. LOL.

Estimated tags have been out for months, same numbers that were signed off.

new regions.jpg
E

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back