WWYD

Bowildee

I want to start off by saying I know something similar to this has been posted somewhere at some point. I just want to revisit it. I am 27 and from the East Coast. I have always been interested in big game hunting but have never really had to opportunity to do it. If y'all were in my shoes.... What tags would you start applying for? I am not necessarily looking to do something right now, this is more so of a what would a bucket list tag be. It is so overwhelming trying to figure out how each state does their draws, much less figuring out what unit to apply for. Again, forgive me if this has been over done.

Curious, what got you interested in applying out west?

Are you from anywhere close to the northeast? Do you apply for canadian moose in the NE states? (Maine, VT, NH)

There are a few different ways to go, usually dependent on your abundance of time and money. The other factor is what you are hoping for. Do you want to hunt often, gaining experience and memories or just looking for success?
If you just want that one-time mule deer or elk, paying for access or an outfitter is the easy solution, although no guarantee.
Want to hunt often? DIY, pack in, pay your dues "maybe" save money start hunting general or OTC.
Forget about the point game, that ship has sailed in your case. Pick a state or two, narrow down a general area, and just go.

lot's of abundant over the counter tags for deer and bear in your neck of the woods. i'd start there.
Yeah I’ve grown up deer hunting but killing a beer around here is more or less sitting 100yards from a trash can. I’m more interested in trying to sheep, elk, or moose hunt. Getting back country around here is tough.

There are a few different ways to go, usually dependent on your abundance of time and money. The other factor is what you are hoping for. Do you want to hunt often, gaining experience and memories or just looking for success?
If you just want that one-time mule deer or elk, paying for access or an outfitter is the easy solution, although no guarantee.
Want to hunt often? DIY, pack in, pay your dues "maybe" save money start hunting general or OTC.
Forget about the point game, that ship has sailed in your case. Pick a state or two, narrow down a general area, and just go.
Yes sir. I’d almost 100% go with an outfitter. I’ve got a few point in Montana for Elk but I’m saving up for the trip. Im really curious about sheep too. The western states are just so confusing.

Curious, what got you interested in applying out west?

Are you from anywhere close to the northeast? Do you apply for canadian moose in the NE states? (Maine, VT, NH)
I worked out west and have traveled out that way a little bit. I’m from the south East where you can drive a 4 wheeler pretty much anywhere, something about getting to where you have to work for it just seems really cool to me. I’m not sure if that answers your question.

I worked out west and have traveled out that way a little bit. I’m from the south East where you can drive a 4 wheeler pretty much anywhere, something about getting to where you have to work for it just seems really cool to me. I’m not sure if that answers your question.

I wouldn't waste any money on points across various states - far too late for that, even at 27 years of age. Focus on one - probably Montana. And focus on wilderness backpack hunt as the only way to get away from the 4-wheelers you're sick of.

Backpacking for a spike hunt can also open up flying in to Billings or Bozeman. I'd recommend focusing on the general Montana combo permit (deer/elk) that you can draw often. And focusing on the wilderness areas close-ish to Bozeman. Cool town to hang out in when you're between spike-outs. Rental car to many trailheads, etc... Find a partner or two.

I forget who said it, maybe Krakauer, but the jist was, "My partner wanted to climb mount X. I just wanted to have climbed it".

If you're in it for a one and done experience, you're very likely to be disappointed. Probably be better off with an outfitter, which is fine. If you want to figure out elk, or mule deer, or bears, come on out and start hiking like everyone else has to. Or used to have to...

@SnowyMountaineer nails it, I'd put sheep and moose on the back burner unless you want to save up cash and do an outfitted trip in Canada or AK, your chance of drawing is in the lottery ticket range... if you want to get good at elk hunting start buying tags and going, pretty much looking at CO OTC and MT/WY as often as you can draw, the learning curve sucks but there really isn't much of a shortcut, better to have some western experience before you draw a good tag so you actually know what to expect.

I forget who said it, maybe Krakauer, but the jist was, "My partner wanted to climb mount X. I just wanted to have climbed it".

If you're in it for a one and done experience, you're very likely to be disappointed. Probably be better off with an outfitter, which is fine. If you want to figure out elk, or mule deer, or bears, come on out and start hiking like everyone else has to. Or used to have to...
I would love to get into public land stuff myself but man I’d be such a liability it would be dangerous. I’d have to try learn from an outfitter first.

@SnowyMountaineer nails it, I'd put sheep and moose on the back burner unless you want to save up cash and do an outfitted trip in Canada or AK, your chance of drawing is in the lottery ticket range... if you want to get good at elk hunting start buying tags and going, pretty much looking at CO OTC and MT/WY as often as you can draw, the learning curve sucks but there really isn't much of a shortcut, better to have some western experience before you draw a good tag so you actually know what to expect.
Man that’s solid advice. Thank you.

I would love to get into public land stuff myself but man I’d be such a liability it would be dangerous. I’d have to try learn from an outfitter first.
Having guided a fair bit I'd say that you won't learn much about keeping yourself comfortable in the wilderness from an outfitter, the whole idea of most guided hunts is to minimize the time spent figuring out backcountry living so you get more hunting time, if just living and moving comfortably in the backcountry is the challenge you will learn more from a couple night backpacking trip locally than a week with an outfitter... no matter where you are there should be some backpacking close, plenty of advice online, again, getting out and starting is the hardest part, issues will come up and you will figure them out, and after a bit the whole thing will seem way less intimidating...

Having guided a fair bit I'd say that you won't learn much about keeping yourself comfortable in the wilderness from an outfitter, the whole idea of most guided hunts is to minimize the time spent figuring out backcountry living so you get more hunting time, if just living and moving comfortably in the backcountry is the challenge you will learn more from a couple night backpacking trip locally than a week with an outfitter... no matter where you are there should be some backpacking close, plenty of advice online, again, getting out and starting is the hardest part, issues will come up and you will figure them out, and after a bit the whole thing will seem way less intimidating...
Thats fair. I do want to get into backpacking localy too. That is probably the most dangerous part of the whole process. Nature will kill you quick.

Thank y'all for the responses. I was worried people were going to jump on me!!!

I’ve been where you are and am largely still there. I grew tired of deer hunting in SC for the reasons you describe. Duck and turkey seasons aren’t long enough and I like hunting new species in new places. Budget isn’t an issue for me but that will be the first question you need to answer. Find the hunts that interest you by looking at the various places, species, and seasons. Then do some math to see what type of time expectation and cost they will take. I apply in 5 western states because my goal is to draw one quality tag a year. it is a very costly strategy, but my targets are limited entry quality hunts, excluding top tier trophy units. The OIL species are costly and odds equal hitting the powerball. I still enter where it makes sense but those do not drive my applications. I also hunt FL turkey and enter a few eastern draws with lottery like odds. Good luck

There are some risks to learning new skills. You can minimize many of them by educating yourself well. I feel that BackpackingLight is one of the better educational resources for general lightweight backpacking skills and principles. They have online courses and some good articles. Forums can be tough because it takes a while to figure out who is full of crap and who might have good advice.

There is a path that results in you reaching your goal, having largely earned your knowledge and success on your own. That is very rewarding, but does require a lot of work.

Back