Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Would ya?

Shoot a 440" bull in velvet? It's kinda cool looking, although I prefer them polished.

Would I pay someone to hold my hand and then take away any pride from shooting a giant bull? No.

I agree w/Oak...lose the velvet! I wonder how much it cost him to be babysat for an entire year? Not for me. I'll keep doing it the way most of us on this site do it...

We do it the old fashioned way, we earn them!

Just saw a mount yesterday of a 460" non-typical Bull / "Farm Animal" taken behind an Idaho high fench. Awed by antlers but the whole thing kinda twisted my guts. Will admit, I don't totally understand the commissioner or gevernors tag thing though. Can someone explain?

After three unsuccessful trips bowhunting elk on OTC tags, the first raghorn I shoot will mean ten times more to me than a bull like that ever could.

I am not a good elk hunter, but the process of becoming one is what I enjoy.

Here's my personal take. I think drawing one of the super-tags or governor's tags would be great. No question. But for me, my ultimate goal would not be to kill the bull that scores the absolute highest that I could find. I guess the hunting experience is much more than that for me. I would consider the landscape/habitat that I like to hunt as much as anything. And of course I would go somewhere with high odds of killing a respectable bull. But it would be on my own.

The only exception that I might make is if I wanted to hunt deep in a wilderness area, and there was a guide/packer that I could trust to get me in for a good, respectable hunt. But to go out with a bunch of guides who are just as vested in me getting a 400+ bull for their own marketing reasons - that seems ridiculous.

That's it. I'm never gonna shoot a potential world record. I don't think I could take the criticism.

I am curious what is the :"right way" to kill a giant bull or buck. What method is beyond reproach...?

That's it. I'm never gonna shoot a potential world record. I don't think I could take the criticism.

I am curious what is the :"right way" to kill a giant bull or buck. What method is beyond reproach...?

If you hired guys to track a bull for you and you just were the shooter, could you take the accolades?

I don't think this method is reproachable , it's just not the way I Like to hunt. If taking an animal that made the books was important to me I might do what that guy did, but it isn't. Seriously, Good for that guy, he accomplished his goal, but it isn't for me. As long as its legal and ethical, you are good in my book.

IMO, there is shopping for a mounted elk head to put on you fireplace and a DIY elk hunt on public land, this guy did something in the middle. I am not surprised at all at the responses on this site considering it is owned by a show called OYOA.

They might as well have tied that bull to a tree and corn feed him until the hunter could show up to shoot him. What a shame you know damn well that they had at least 2 guides sleeping with that bull every night so they had him pinned down so no one else could shoot him. seems to me they did the same thing with the Spider bull. Might as well been a high fenced bull.

I will take my raghorns on my own over having someone located follow and basically pen the bull up for me to shoot.

Don't get me wrong its a magnificent animal but i would have loved to see him kill it by himself.
:W::W::W::BLEEP::BLEEP::BLEEP::W::W::BLEEP::eek:

Personally I would rather shoot a cow on public land hunting on my own. A big part of the hunt is making the right decisions for that particular moment, and when you do it all right and it finally comes together that is a great feeling. I wouldnt get the same feeling knowing that elk had been stalked and its location known every single day of its life, and all I had to do was shoot it.

Back